This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

external esata drive automount

I would like to make my esata drive mount on /backup whenever I turn it on. For reasons as yet unknown, it will sometimes mess up the boot if on at boot time. So, I figure auto mount on demand is the next best option

what ver of Kubuntu?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      what ver of Kubuntu?

VINNY
      Oops, forgot that. it's 14.04 with kernel 3.17

Comment

never tried it ,,,,but , system settings>Removable devices> check "enable automatic mounting of removable media" ,, uncheck "mount all removable media at login" ,, check "only automatically mount removable media that has been manually mounted before" click apply

now ,,,,,,,
        Code:
        sudo mkdir /backup
        then
        Code:
        mount -t ext4 /dev/sdxx  /backup
        if that is , it's a ext4 formatted drive ,,substitute for what it is ntfs,btrfs bla bla bla ,,,,,,and that the system sees it as /dev/sdxx (substitute the x's for the letter and # ,,,like /dev/sdc1 or whatever

browse files to see it mounted ,,,,,,reboot ,,,turn it on and see if it auto-mounts to /backup ,,,,,,

like I said I'v never tried it .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          never tried it ,,,,but , system settings>Removable devices> check "enable automatic mounting of removable media" ,, uncheck "mount all removable media at login" ,, check "only automatically mount removable media that has been manually mounted before" click apply

now ,,,,,,,
          Code:
          sudo mkdir /backup
          then
          Code:
          mount -t ext4 /dev/sdxx  /backup
          if that is , it's a ext4 formatted drive ,,substitute for what it is ntfs,btrfs bla bla bla ,,,,,,and that the system sees it as /dev/sdxx (substitute the x's for the letter and # ,,,like /dev/sdc1 or whatever

browse files to see it mounted ,,,,,,reboot ,,,turn it on and see if it auto-mounts to /backup ,,,,,,

like I said I'v never tried it .

VINNY
          It will mount manually or in fstab fine. Automount not so fine. Strangely, it seems to be /dev/sde1 at times. and then will be /dev/sdf1 for no reason. I have 1 SSD at sda, 1 HDD at sdb, 2 hdd in hardware raid, 1 optical drive, and the esata drive. I guess I could just make a script with a symlink to the desktop.

Comment

Working...
          X