Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My daughter uses her iPhone almost exclusively and computer rarely. Is this the futu

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter uses her iPhone almost exclusively and computer rarely. Is this the futu

My precious daughter just sent me an iPhone 6 to replace my iPhone 4, she gifted to me a couple of years ago. She has a very important job with a large Union, which is quite funny, because she is a conservative and they know it.

When I got my phone, I was very excited because it was lighter and larger than my 4s. Nevertheless, with the most recent update to my 4s, popup ads and redirecting have increased, and the talk is that we will have to live with it.

As telephones with the old charge for long distance and the miles of copper wire to support their service, they were pretty much replaced overnight with cell phones.

I do not know where communication is going in the future and won't be here anyway, but if trends continue, it won't be long before a functional hologram will appear almost anywhere without any hardware necessary to activate it.

Which comes to my vision of what will happen to companies like Microsoft, Apple, and even Kubuntu.

In the past Kubuntu has been known for innovation. It precedes the leaders in cutting-edge tecnologfies.

I suspect that even for a brief time, phone technologies will take over the greatest part of the personal information market before being replaced by non-hardware tech in the future.

As a result, I think competitive phone technologies are an important future for Kubuntu.

The last time I used a Microsoft OS, it was obscene. It was like there are two distinctly different Internets out there. One with the piggies at the trough and one that serves your knowledge needs. Anything that uses Windows is inundated with the lust, not desire, for money, and the anything-goes attitude when it comes to dirty tricks and redirection.

I have been using Kubuntu exclusively so long, that the brief times I have used a Windows OS have provided nothing but annoyance and anger. I believe putting Kubuntu in a high quality container, like my Apple, would control the market over night. Placing a firewall in the Kubuntu phone that would keep the majority of the crap out would tweet the world overnight. And the elegance that Kubuntu developers provide and configuration abilities would revolutionize the communication industry.

I hope this isn't a wasted read for you, but I have instructed my daughter to NOT send any more iPhones, the pretty on the outside doesn't overcome the ugliness on the inside. Shab
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jul 20, 2015, 02:35 PM.

Personally, I have no desire to use or own anything from Apple, including its phones. As soon as Android hit the market, I was on it! What could be better: it's Linux-based!

Nevertheless, with the most recent update to my 4s, popup ads and redirecting have increased, and the talk is that we will have to live with it.
    I have none of the issues you're describing. And I mean even on straight-out-of-the-box brand-new Android devices--before I've done any tinkering/customizing--I've just never seen any such thing.

My current smartphone is a Motorola Moto X 2nd Generation, and I love it. Its screen is huge, yet it's still very lightweight (although I have it in an Otterbox Defender case--which is what I put ALL of my devices in), and its speed continues to amaze me. If you're ready to dump Apple, there are many wonderful Android phones available and, of course, I recommend the Moto X 2nd Generation.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Ads are common in free android apps, though popups do not seem to be as prevalent, as this will driver reviews down drastically on the google play store.
      I would have thought that Apple would not allow much in the way of these things, especially as (i think) most iphone apps are NOT free as they are in the Play store.

Someone being a conservative does not mean that they are anti-union - note I did not specify a party here, as the party with the big "R" are far from being what was considered conservative not all that long ago.

I just got a free spare leather back and battery from LG for my brand new G4, with its nearly gi-normous big screen, and super fast, super nice f/1.8 rear camera (with a fantastically great camera app behind it), and its 8(!!!?!!)-freaking megapixel front selfie shooter. I love it, and it should hopefully keep me happy for a few years, even if rooting it is not yet possible.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Ads are common in free android apps
        Well, there you go! I don't use free apps. I carefully peruse Google Play and Amazon AppStore and buy apps I think I'll like. Looking back just now, I realized that I do this because--way back when--when I first started using Android, I DID use free apps...and hated the ads.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
          Well, there you go! I don't use free apps. I carefully peruse Google Play and Amazon AppStore and buy apps I think I'll like. Looking back just now, I realized that I do this because--way back when--when I first started using Android, I DID use free apps...and hated the ads.
          it is not terrible for me, as i don't play many games, which seem to be where the ads come from. I get the paid versions of things I regularly use and like, even the ad-free ones. If I use a one-off utility for something, a small ad on the top or bottom of the screen does not bother me, usually.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            it is not terrible for me, as i don't play many games, which seem to be where the ads come from.
            I only play a couple of games on my phone; the majority of games I play are done on my 8.9" tablet. But I'm lumping everything together as far as my method of choosing apps--I just don't use free ones, unless it's truly a one-off use.

I get the paid versions of things I regularly use and like, even the ad-free ones. If I use a one-off utility for something, a small ad on the top or bottom of the screen does not bother me, usually.
            You're clearly more patient than I am! I cannot stand ads, anywhere--like on TV, I DVR anything and everything I think I might want to watch, and then watch them by zapping through their commercial breaks. Even when I'm using a truly one-off free app, the ads bug me. Ugh.

Comment

Working...
            X