Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to verify mechanical vs. software problems.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to verify mechanical vs. software problems.

Most of you most savvy computer operators that have been part of this forum probably recognize my Username.

Since my last build of my computer, I have had considtently reoccurring problems with my PC. Since I have been struggling the learning process with little hands-on personal help, I have relied on you guys to move me along. I have never had a lot of money, so my current PC is way over my head for cost of construction, but I purchased top rated components to make this last computer, and sacrificed to do so.

Of the problems I have attempted to repair, none seem repetitive. It seems that it is always something new. Attempts to isolate the problem as mechanical have never resulted in identifying any malfunctioning part excepting memory, when I increased from 16 GB to 32 GB.

My memory is GSkill 1800 DDR3 SDRAM. Recently, after exchanging the ram for 4 matching sticks, things worked well for a while, but again I had problems with my computer. I ran a memory test for 11 hours. After 2 passes, there were no errors showing.

Since my knowledge is limited, I do not know how long to run a memory test, or if the test will ever end, so I don't know if I should have run the test for more time. If so, how long, before I can be confident that my memory is OK? A day perhaps, or two days, or a week, or does the test have an end where it says the test is completed and there are no indicated memory defects?

I have an AMD eight-core processor running at 4Ghz. Is it possible that I have a defect in my processor that provides differing problems when the system is operating and fails? If so, is there a way to test my processor for defects?

I have made the recommended inspection of my motherboard and read about tools for checking hardware, but have not found the names for applications that will assist in diagnosis of hardware problems for a Kubuntu operating system.

I have removed all Microsoft Operating Systems from both my laptop and my Desktop PC, so if the available tools are designed to work with Microsoft products only, are there any tools for testing components in a Linux operating system, if so what are their names?

Since my problems have continued for a long period of time, and since little of my learning of the use and repair of computers has resulted from being able to collaborate with anyone in person, I have to rely on help from you guys only. That is great and most appreciated, however, because there is lag time between asking a question and getting suggestions, coupled with my lack of experience and understanding, I accept that a problem is solved, when the computer begins to function again.

So if there is a hardware issue, like perhaps a loose wire or something that causes differing issues, I may believe a correction due to software suggestions to be the actual solution rather than hardware.

If there are available applications that can diagnose hardware problems in the Linux environment, I would very much know how to obtain them. Something that can test an AMD 8-core processor, something that can test 32 GB 1866 DDR3 SDRAM, something that can diagnose mouse and keyboard problems, something that can test SSD and/or HDD problems, and something that can test video card issues.

Perhaps there is an application that can test them all; that would be terrific.

I would hate to find that all the time that you have spent helping me, over the years, can be answered by finding that there is loose wire, or defective capacitor, or a crack in something that changes with temperature changes while the computer is being used.

I am becoming exasperated with the seemly never ending list of problems I experience. I have friends who have operated their computers without failure for years, or at least so they say, so if true, I too would like a similar experience, even though communicating with you guys has been a sincere pleasure.

Currently I have Kubuntu 14.10 and Kubuntu 15.04 in my computer. Kubuntu 15.04 worked beautifully for a few weeks, but after my daily update/upgrade/dpkg practice, came to a halt a few days ago. It boots to the login screen, accepts my password, but now, after the progress bar of the opening of the computer reaches the far right, halts the opening process for about a minute and then changes to a black screen and fails to continue past that point.

If I attempt to shut down or restart my computer, certain actions indicate my mouse is working, but when I click on the Kmenu Icon, nothing happens. If I move the cursor to the open space on the desktop and right-click, a window with options opens, but returning to the Kmenu Icon, trying to select restart or shutdown and nothing happens. I have several mice that work fine when operating my laptop (which I am typing from now), so I am reasonably confident that the mice are working properly. After Kubuntu 15.04 freezes in my Desktop PC, I am unable to test the motherboard to see if it is functioning, and today when in the Kubuntu 14.10 OS, I have freeze problems now, so I cannot test the keyboard in that OS.

I have updated the BIOS and reset the BIOS to it's default settings, and nothing seems to change. I have tried everything I know, and am at the point of reinstalling the OS's, but wanted to check with you guys before I attempt that.

I am most fortunate to have my laptop as a backup; I am currently running Kubuntu 15.04 without problems, but I haven't used my laptop much lately, so if my problems are software from the new distribution, they haven't appeared yet. Time will tell. I also have Kubuntu 14.10 installed in a dual-boot configuration.

I realize my experience level doesn't warrant operating cutting edge distributions, but I am nearing the end of my life, and I want to experience as much cutting-edge technology as I can afford. I love this stuff way beyond my ability. As usual, thanks for any input; I am sorry that I have had to bother you so much.

I really have no helpful idea. When I hear problems like this, I feel it might be wise to have it checked out by a capable technician -- but WHO would that be, how would you determine who it is, and the expense factor. Really nice if you have a reputable, local shop staffed by understanding people you can talk to.

On hardware, you know the drill, in part: make sure your power supply is adequate, make sure it is not the failing/stuttering component.

And the cables, as the saying goes, "It's the cable, stupid." Might be wise to reset all cables, carefully.

You've already reseated the memory. Do you have a graphics card you should try re-seating?

IOW, check all connectors. That would be the first step. But then, you have other issues -- checking separate hardware components; checking software.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

One way to check RAM is to for an extended period of time run a live instance.

Comment

try booting from System Rescue CD it has alot of hw tests you can run
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks, friend. I have done all that already. New cables, re-seating and reattaching all components, close physical inspection of capacitors, dusting, monitoring temperatures of the things that can heat up with no negative results, I just don't know what to replace to fix the problems.

I am grateful to have my beautiful laptop, but a dual-core 2.4 Mhz w/8 GB ram just doesn't compare with the blazing speed I have come to expect and enjoy when operating my Desptop PC. In fact I am inclined to install aps over aps, thinking I must have missed my mouse-click all the time. It will take time to again get used to the horse and buggy days or long walk to town.

I suppose I should be ashamed of myself, complaining when I have it so good, but I seem to spend more time fixing my computer anymore than using and enjoying it. And, unlike most of you, I am not so intellectually armed.

Thanks for the input; it is most appreciated.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          I really have no helpful idea. When I hear problems like this, I feel it might be wise to have it checked out by a capable technician -- but WHO would that be, how would you determine who it is, and the expense factor. Really nice if you have a reputable, local shop staffed by understanding people you can talk to.

On hardware, you know the drill, in part: make sure your power supply is adequate, make sure it is not the failing/stuttering component.

And the cables, as the saying goes, "It's the cable, stupid." Might be wise to reset all cables, carefully.

You've already reseated the memory. Do you have a graphics card you should try re-seating?

IOW, check all connectors. That would be the first step. But then, you have other issues -- checking separate hardware components; checking software.

Comment

I shall once again have to expose my intellectual limitations. What do you mean by running a live instance? When I open my boot menu, I select the check memory test. That is what has run for the 11 hours it did the last time; once before I ran the test even longer, but didn't mention it, because I thought I may be seen as even stupider than I do now. Please clarify; I will try anything at this point. Thanks, friend

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            One way to check RAM is to for an extended period of time run a live instance.

Comment

Is that different from the "Recovery" option in the boot menu? I will search for "System Rescue CD" when I close my reply, and thanks .

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
              try booting from System Rescue CD it has alot of hw tests you can run

Comment

Did you have these problems with Windows? If not, then it may be a config problem with Kubuntu. I had problems with 14.10 plasma 5 and 15.04 so I went back to 14.04 Occasionally I see an error popup and usually remedy it with sudo apt-get pdate &7 sudo apt-get upgrade
                Also, 14.04 will have support for 5 years. Well beyond support time for 15.04 or even 15.10 (I assume that will be the next version)

if you have had the ssd for more than 3 months, use sudo fstrim / This could take some time and will appear to freeze. just let it be and it will come back.
                I head differing opinions on how often to run this, but most seem to say monthly or quarterly should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                  I shall once again have to expose my intellectual limitations. What do you mean by running a live instance? When I open my boot menu, I select the check memory test. That is what has run for the 11 hours it did the last time; once before I ran the test even longer, but didn't mention it, because I thought I may be seen as even stupider than I do now. Please clarify; I will try anything at this point. Thanks, friend
                  Boot to a livecd is a live instance. Download and burn kubuntu and then boot from the cd. Choose try instead of install when the two options show

Comment

Agree w/vsreeser about trying Kubuntu 14.04. That would give you an interesting data point on all this. Just make an extra partition for the test, maybe 30-50 GB and install 14.04 (64-bit, I think). Then watch how things run under 14.04.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                    X