Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I concur with the HP assessment expressed in other msgs. I've had an HP LasterJet Pro p1606dn duplex laser for five years and it has been installing and running faultlessly. Let me add one caveat. Use the 14.04.2 release of Kubuntu. During the install check the option to add proprietary software like mp3 drivers but DO NOT click the option to do updates while installing. The reason deals with the HPLIP app. The 14.04.2 release uses the older HPLIP GUI, written by HP. The updates bastardize it with a castrated version which does not show the five tabs the original HP app shows, so if you have a laser you can no longer see how much toner you have remaining, etc.... So, BEFORE you click that "updates available" icon in the system tray open a konsole and enter "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get install muon". With muon, not the fancy Muon Discovery app, install the HPLIP and HPLIP GUI apps and all their dependencies and such. Set up your printer. I used muon to lock that version of HPLIP and HPLIP GUI.
    THEN you can click the updates.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
      Out of interest, regarding your signature, I know that kdesudo is recommended for graphical utilities, but is it really as vital as your signature suggests (it is your signature),

Using sudo, a program is run with root's privileges, but with the user's configurations.
      Using kdesudo (or gksu/gksudo in Ubuntu), it uses root's configurations, but also copies
      .Xauthority to a tmp directory. This prevents files in your home directory becoming
      owned by root.

Running something graphical with sudo is not a guarantee that a config file will change ownership, but makes the likelihood much greater, especially if one changes a setting for that app. Say someone runs sudo systemsettings and makes all sorts of changes. many if not all the configuration files involved will be owned by root now, and changing those settings again (as a regular user) won't stick; some may even prevent one from logging in to KDE/Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I concur with the HP assessment expressed in other msgs. I've had an HP LasterJet Pro p1606dn duplex laser for five years and it has been installing and running faultlessly. Let me add one caveat. Use the 14.04.2 release of Kubuntu. During the install check the option to add proprietary software like mp3 drivers but DO NOT click the option to do updates while installing. The reason deals with the HPLIP app. The 14.04.2 release uses the older HPLIP GUI, written by HP. The updates bastardize it with a castrated version which does not show the five tabs the original HP app shows, so if you have a laser you can no longer see how much toner you have remaining, etc.... So, BEFORE you click that "updates available" icon in the system tray open a konsole and enter "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get install muon". With muon, not the fancy Muon Discovery app, install the HPLIP and HPLIP GUI apps and all their dependencies and such. Set up your printer. I used muon to lock that version of HPLIP and HPLIP GUI.
        THEN you can click the updates.
        This is such helpful information--which I had no idea about. My HP All-in-One is connected to one of my desktops, where it's been happily humming along for several years--on 9.04, I believe. I can imagine if I tried connecting it, at some point, to a computer with a much newer version and ran into problems, I'd be wondering, WTF?!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          AFAIK, no issue if you use kdesudo in place of sudo. What happens is a GUI popup opens asking for your sudo password, then it closes and the terminal program progresses.

If you're unsure if a new program is a GUI version or not, you could error of the side of caution and use kdesudo the first time or use just use sudo. If a GUI opens up, kill it and use kdesudo the second time. I suggest if you accidentally launch a GUI program using sudo, you review your home folder for any files owned by root before logging out using: ll -R ~ |grep root Then you'll know you'r OK to proceed.

As for the refilling vs. buying ink cartridges: 8-10 years ago I did do that. It worked fine for the older HP's. With the new models, they're sensitive to cartridges and you'll often end up with an old cartridge that won't work at all anymore because the printer will claim it's empty even after you refill it. IMO, if you're in a place where you can't get cartridges for reasonable prices, then get new ones. Otherwise, it's not really worth the hassle and chance of failure just to save a couple bucks. My newish (2-3 years old now I think) 8600 gets used all the time (daily) and I'm only on my first set of replacement cartridges. Another plus to these new HP's: They tell you when the ink is getting low so I can order replacements when needed and not have to stock up.

Thank you.

' ll -R ~ |grep root'

What is the initial symbol in the above command line?
          kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Thanks to all for the information - a good discussion.

Comment

lowercase el twice. You should be able to copy and paste it into a terminal. Note: to paste into a terminal window, use SHIFT+INSERT instead of CRTL+V.

Alternately, this is the same command:

ls -lR ~ |grep root

Please Read Me

Comment

lowercase el twice. You should be able to copy and paste it into a terminal. Note: to paste into a terminal window, use SHIFT+INSERT instead of CRTL+V.

Alternately, this is the same command:

ls -lR ~ |grep root
                I think that you mean lowercase l twice.

I tried both commands, ls -lR ~ |grep root gives me a lot more information compared with ll -R ~ |grep root.

However, all files are characterised by andrew andrew, I assume that I am, therefore, the owner. Why is my name repeated?

Best wishes.

Ps. I can't find a reference to the command ll in the manual
                Last edited by anonprivate; Jul 15, 2015, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                  However, all files are characterised by andrew andrew, I assume that I am, therefore, the owner. Why is my name repeated?
                  What you're seeing are the 'owner' and 'group' for each file; the first instance of your name is the owner of the file, while the second instance is its group. If you look around in directories other than your own you'll see other combinations of owners/groups, such as "root root" or "root disk."
                  Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Jul 15, 2015, 11:44 PM.
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I have an officejet AIO 4632. Everything works fine. I tend to use my Brother HL-4150cdn more though. Lasers cost less for toner per page than inkjets per page. The brother also can duplex pages, which is nice for saving paper. Both printers work fine in Kubuntu and Windows 7

Comment

I tried both commands, ls -lR ~ |grep root gives me a lot more information compared with ll -R ~ |grep root.
                      ls -lR ~ |grep root

and

ll -R ~ |grep root

are exactly the same command. Check your syntax. If you're getting different results, something is amiss.

ll

is an alias for

ls -l

in your ~/.bashrc file. The -R adds recursive and |grep root filters to only lines containing the word "root".

Note: L (named el /ˈɛl/) is the 12th letter of... Hence the use of the verbal "el" in my post. Usually, people copy-n-paste commands. If you're using a different font than me, typing l over and over again isn't very useful.
                      Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 16, 2015, 01:28 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                        What you're seeing are the 'owner' and 'group' for each file; the first instance of your name is the owner of the file, while the second instance is its group. If you look around in directories other than your own you'll see other combinations of owners/groups, such as "root root" or "root disk."
                        Thank you

Comment

ls -lR ~ |grep root

and

ll -R ~ |grep root

are exactly the same command. Check your syntax. If you're getting different results, something is amiss.

ll

is an alias for

ls -l

in your ~/.bashrc file. The -R adds recursive and |grep root filters to only lines containing the word "root".

Note: L (named el /ˈɛl/) is the 12th letter of... Hence the use of the verbal "el" in my post. Usually, people copy-n-paste commands. If you're using a different font than me, typing l over and over again isn't very useful.
                          I assume that the alias is an abbreviation that you have set. I don't think aliases are stored in Kubuntu as pre-set abbreviations, or am I wrong?

Comment

As I said, look in your ~/.bashrc file. There's a few standard aliases in there. If ll wasn't in the aliases it would return an error.

You can add more there or the preferred location is ~./bash_aliases.

snip from my bashrc:
                            Code:
                            # some more ls aliases
                            alias ll='ls -l'
                            alias la='ls -alF'
                            alias lsa='ls -A'
                            alias l='ls -CF'

# Add an "alert" alias for long running commands.  Use like so:
                            #   sleep 10; alert
                            alias alert='notify-send --urgency=low -i "$([ $? = 0 ] && echo terminal || echo error)" "$(history|tail -n1|sed -e '\''s/^\s*[0-9]\+\s*//;s/[;&|]\s*alert$//'\'')"'

# Alias definitions.
                            # You may want to put all your additions into a separate file like
                            # ~/.bash_aliases, instead of adding them here directly.
                            # See /usr/share/doc/bash-doc/examples in the bash-doc package.

if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
                                . ~/.bash_aliases
                            fi

Please Read Me

Comment

As I said, look in your ~/.bashrc file. There's a few standard aliases in there. If ll wasn't in the aliases it would return an error.

You can add more there or the preferred location is ~./bash_aliases.

snip from my bashrc:
                              Code:
                              # some more ls aliases
                              alias ll='ls -l'
                              alias la='ls -alF'
                              alias lsa='ls -A'
                              alias l='ls -CF'

# Add an "alert" alias for long running commands.  Use like so:
                              #   sleep 10; alert
                              alias alert='notify-send --urgency=low -i "$([ $? = 0 ] && echo terminal || echo error)" "$(history|tail -n1|sed -e '\''s/^\s*[0-9]\+\s*//;s/[;&|]\s*alert$//'\'')"'

# Alias definitions.
                              # You may want to put all your additions into a separate file like
                              # ~/.bash_aliases, instead of adding them here directly.
                              # See /usr/share/doc/bash-doc/examples in the bash-doc package.

if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
                                  . ~/.bash_aliases
                              fi

I found the .bashrc file. My aliases are a little different.

#some more ls aliases
                              alias ll='ls -alF'
                              alias la='ls -A'
                              alias l='ls -CF'

I could not see the .bash_aliases file

Comment

Interesting. I wonder why they're different. That explains the differences in the output you got though. bash_aliases isn't there by default. If you create one and put aliases in it, it will be read when you log in.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                                X