X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to buy another printer

Hi,

My Lexmark inkjet Z2390 will not operate under Kubuntu, due to the age of the available driver. I have tried the recommended driver on the Lexmark site, but it will not install. The current thinking is that it will not install because it is too old for the later operating systems.

I have noticed that there are a number of drivers contained with kubuntu, and I assume that all the associated printers will run under kubuntu.

I am now looking for advice regarding a suitable inkjet printer that I will only use occasionally.

I would like the printer to have a small footprint on a desk.
    I would also like to be able to refill the cartridges myself, rather than but cartridges.
    I would like to printer to be cheap.
    If the printer driver is not currently held in kubuntu, but a driver is also supplied on a disk, then that would be alright.

Can you recommend some inkjet printers that I will then review?

Thank you.
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Most anything HP, as they provide hplip, open source drivers for Linux.

http://www.hplipopensource.com/hplip...ces/index.html
    You likely won't get a driver installer in a disk, but in Kubuntu at least, most supported HP printer drivers are already installed. You may wish to install the package hplip-gui for some graphical utilities, and occasionally one may have to upgrade the whole hplip if a printer model is so new that it isn't in the version (K)ubuntu ships with.

I am guessing most cartridges are refillable, but that would take research as to the cost/ease of doing so vs purchasing third party cartridges.

Comment

Same for Epson, they have Linux drivers on their site.

Comment

Thank you.

I'll have a look at HP and Epson

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Most anything HP, as they provide hplip, open source drivers for Linux.

http://www.hplipopensource.com/hplip...ces/index.html
          You likely won't get a driver installer in a disk, but in Kubuntu at least, most supported HP printer drivers are already installed. You may wish to install the package hplip-gui for some graphical utilities, and occasionally one may have to upgrade the whole hplip if a printer model is so new that it isn't in the version (K)ubuntu ships with.

I am guessing most cartridges are refillable, but that would take research as to the cost/ease of doing so vs purchasing third party cartridges.
          Out of interest, regarding your signature, I know that kdesudo is recommended for graphical utilities, but is it really as vital as your signature suggests (it is your signature),

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
            Out of interest, regarding your signature, I know that kdesudo is recommended for graphical utilities, but is it really as vital as your signature suggests (it is your signature),
            Not always, but eventually, if you use sudo with a GUI program you will mess up the permissions in your home and/or temp folders. My opinion: not only vital, but mandatory. Bottom line is there is absolutely no benefit in not using kdesudo for a GUI program so why risk it?

Clay is trying to head-off a common and often problematic noob mistake.

Please Read Me

Comment

Oh, and to the original topic: I have an HP 8600 Pro Deluxe (with the duplexer) and have never been so happy with a printer. All the features you can imagine and everything works with Linux except faxing directly from the scanner using your PC (instead of at the printer control panel). Also, compared to my old HP 7100 which it replaced - less use of ink too.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have yet to see an HP printer, whether laser, inkjet, or all-in-one, that DIDN'T work out of the box with Linux. I currently have an HP F4140 All-in-One, which is ~8 years old, and it works great. I did NOTHING except use Kubuntu's 'add a printer' to get it up and running.
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Not always, but eventually, if you use sudo with a GUI program you will mess up the permissions in your home and/or temp folders. My opinion: not only vital, but mandatory. Bottom line is there is absolutely no benefit in not using kdesudo for a GUI program so why risk it?

Clay is trying to head-off a common and often problematic noob mistake.
                  Thank you.

Out of interest, would the same permission problem occur if someone used kdesudo with a non-graphical program?

If a user is using a programme for the first time, how would then know if it is graphical or non-graphical and, therefore, which version of sudo to use?

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Oh, and to the original topic: I have an HP 8600 Pro Deluxe (with the duplexer) and have never been so happy with a printer. All the features you can imagine and everything works with Linux except faxing directly from the scanner using your PC (instead of at the printer control panel). Also, compared to my old HP 7100 which it replaced - less use of ink too.
                    Assuming that you printer is an inkjet, have you tried refilling the cartridges?

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                      I have yet to see an HP printer, whether laser, inkjet, or all-in-one, that DIDN'T work out of the box with Linux. I currently have an HP F4140 All-in-One, which is ~8 years old, and it works great. I did NOTHING except use Kubuntu's 'add a printer' to get it up and running.
                      Have you tried refilling the inkjet cartridges?

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                        Have you tried refilling the inkjet cartridges?
                        Yes, back when I first bought the printer. But, frankly, it wasn't worth the hassle and mess. Now I just buy HP replacement cartridges and am very happy to simply pop the old two out and the new two in.
                        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I had a Canon ip110, it's a mobile printer, it had drivers available from the Canon site, regular CUPS didn't work, those Canon drivers worked fine.

Comment

AFAIK, no issue if you use kdesudo in place of sudo. What happens is a GUI popup opens asking for your sudo password, then it closes and the terminal program progresses.

If you're unsure if a new program is a GUI version or not, you could error of the side of caution and use kdesudo the first time or use just use sudo. If a GUI opens up, kill it and use kdesudo the second time. I suggest if you accidentally launch a GUI program using sudo, you review your home folder for any files owned by root before logging out using: ll -R ~ |grep root Then you'll know you'r OK to proceed.

As for the refilling vs. buying ink cartridges: 8-10 years ago I did do that. It worked fine for the older HP's. With the new models, they're sensitive to cartridges and you'll often end up with an old cartridge that won't work at all anymore because the printer will claim it's empty even after you refill it. IMO, if you're in a place where you can't get cartridges for reasonable prices, then get new ones. Otherwise, it's not really worth the hassle and chance of failure just to save a couple bucks. My newish (2-3 years old now I think) 8600 gets used all the time (daily) and I'm only on my first set of replacement cartridges. Another plus to these new HP's: They tell you when the ink is getting low so I can order replacements when needed and not have to stock up.
                            Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 14, 2015, 11:58 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

We should really have a sudo that is accessible from anywhere that can know the difference by itself. Just one universal sudo, would make life a lot easier. I don't like sudo in any case. Why not a daemon that automatically fixes file permissions in your home folder? .

I mean, what's the point in having *anything* in your home folder that is owned by something else? .

Comment

Working...
                              X