This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

--deleted-- let the mods handle it
    Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 13, 2015, 06:57 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      That's mighty impressive! So you were using Linux...BEFORE it was invented? Cool trick. And here I am thinking I'm pretty cool still having my 1991 3.5" diskette with the original release of Linux on it.
      You have to understand that I lived through the 1970's and the brain cells are not what they once were... I do still have some original RH linux install disks, probably still in the box, buried somewhere in my "stuff" from the era. I'd need to dig them out to find a real date. All together now, sing: "Memories, Memories..."
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        You have to understand that I lived through the 1970's and the brain cells are not what they once were...
        You and me both!

Plus, I had brain surgery a while back...

I do still have some original RH linux install disks, probably still in the box, buried somewhere in my "stuff" from the era. I'd need to dig them out to find a real date.
        That's what it would take for me and my original Linux diskette. It's SOMEWHERE in my garage, having traveled ~1500 miles from my previous house to my current one, and having sat in the garage for nine years now. I KNOW it's there...I just wouldn't relish the idea of trying to find it. Besides, I no longer have a single computer with a disk drive.

All together now, sing: "Memories, Memories..."
        Ha ha! Why not?
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

You people are seriously trying to take this user not-seriously aren't you ;-). What does the date of onset of his Linux experiences have to do with it? .

He is just voicing something MANY LINUX USERS FEEL and you're just making jokes about it. He just wanted to know if it is "normal" for a Linux user to "live like that" ... "to use a system which doesnt work and always have the fear that it doesnt boot up next time".

Well (I'm even typing this by hand on a smartphone).. I can tell you (the OP as well) that it is basically my exact experience you just won't find many people on this forum who feel this way. And Vinny, you don't have to disagree with my feeling, a feeling is just that, it can't be wrong and you don't have to replace it by or contrapose it with someone else's feeling. It's just that: a feeling or experience.

And we should be allowed to have our experiences even if they seem odd or at odds with what others are feeling.

Also btw, it is pretty clear that 14.04 LTS can't be the final solution to all of Linux user's nightmares ;-). Like he said (or she) he has been going on with this for a long time. 15.04 may not be good but it was RELEASED by the people who are responsible and you can't expect anyone to know they should stay away from it.

Comment

xennex81
            Please, for your own sake, lighten up... the banter here is not an attack. If you will read back through this thread, you will see some very "serious" attempts to assist the OP. The advice given is truthful and, in my opinion, accurate. You are free to ignore anything you don't find useful and ask for clarification if something doesn't make sense. That's how to make these fora work for you.

xennex81 said: ...
            Also btw, it is pretty clear that 14.04 LTS can't be the final solution to all of Linux user's nightmares ;-). Like he said (or she) he has been going on with this for a long time. 15.04 may not be good but it was RELEASED by the people who are responsible and you can't expect anyone to know they should stay away from it.
            Nor are we saying it is "the final solution". It is an attempt to get the user working on his system. We can work on from there. Since his current situation is "unstable" we want to get him/her to stable installation and then we can build on that.

If you want totally "serious" attention to the questions (yours and others) you may pay for tech support, or even worse, you could evaluate other fora. Personally, I much prefer the real human nature of this forum. You are welcome here, but please understand that personality is a big part of what makes this forum useful and, for some of us, enjoyable.

@timefox, sorry for stealing your thread. Back to you.
            @mods, yes, I'm off topic, act as you see fit.
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

@mods, yes, I'm off topic, act as you see fit.
              Not to worry. At this time, a temporary ban is in effect for xennex81.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You have to understand that I lived through the 1970's and the brain cells are not what they once were... I do still have some original RH linux install disks, probably still in the box, buried somewhere in my "stuff" from the era. I'd need to dig them out to find a real date. All together now, sing: "Memories, Memories..."
                I knew when you mentioned 1980-1990 you were having memory problems. I'm a 74 year old member of that club too. Even worse are the false memories. For 55 years I've had (and still have) a visual image of a bloody fist fight between two heavy weight wrestlers during my senior year in high school, 1959. A couple years ago I hooked up with my senior class mailing list and during a thread I related my memory. The moderator, a nice fellow I know from my HS days, said that those two guys never had a fight fight and have been the best of friends. I was stunned. So, I believe the fight still happened ... two people with their faces a bloody mess is hard to forget ... I am just don't know which two people were doing the fighting.

These days if I want to remember something I let Google or DuckDuckGo be my memory, or I just ask my wife. She's my memory for all things not technical. Speaking of technical stuff, I'm fading into the noob class of Linux users. Thankfully, with distros like Kubuntu, Linux has gotten extremely easy to use.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 14, 2015, 03:44 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by timefox View Post
                  Hey, thanks for all your answers.
                  Here's a funny full size photo of how my plasma said hello to me today: click

So what I will do now is to delete both kubuntu 15.04's (I still have the broken one cause I will fight to get my crypted data back) and install kubuntu 14.04 with a separated uncrypted home directory.
                  The only reason I like plasma 5 is because of the Breeze theme, its beautiful on the outside, but ugly on the inside :/
                  I have the Kernel version Linux 3.19.0-22-generic which I received after a dist-upgrade after installing kubuntu.
                  Funny thing is with that kernel and the nouveau driver, I got this on boot: click for funny non-fullsized photo of the linux kernel and/or nouveau telling me to end its life.
                  I restarted with the old kernel, installed the nvidia drivers (VERSION 346 is the only one not breaking desktop environments, the other one found is 304, which seems not to work with my graphics card).

NEWS: I got Kubuntu 14.04.2 LTS running right now, everything perfect, no crashes until now. NVIDIA drivers: 331
                  Not exactly news: Still have tearing issues, but that wasnt a big surprise, every Linux Distro had this issue, guess I have to live with that. But its still weird that the KDE Vsync options seem useless.
                  Also my second time running linux on the build in 24GB SSD, blazing fast, I love it. Now even with separate /home partition.
                  There are several possible solutions to your tearing problem here or here.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

After enabling Triple Buffering, KDE freezes after loading plasma, then I get a message telling me that ksmserver couldn't be started. I reverted everything.
                    And it looks like the vsync options in KDEs desktop effect settings seem to be ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      I knew when you mentioned 1980-1990 you were having memory problems. I'm a 74 year old member of that club too. Even worse are the false memories. For 55 years I've had (and still have) a visual image of a bloody fist fight between to heavy weight wrestlers during my senior year in high school, 1959. A couple years ago I hooked up with my senior class mailing list and during a thread I related my memory. The moderator, a nice fellow I know from my HS days, said that those to guys never had a fight fight and have been the best of friends. I was stunned. So, I believe the fight still happened ... two people with their faces a bloody mess is hard to forget ... I am just don't know which two people were doing the fighting.

These days if I want to remember something I let Google or DuckDuckGo be my memory, or I just ask my wife. She's my memory for all things not technical. Speaking of technical stuff, I'm fading into the noob class of Linux users. Thankfully, with distros like Kubuntu, Linux has gotten extremely easy to use.

Thanks GG, It's nice to have company in my declining years... What was your name again?

Comment

Wait, Google is Not my friend?

Comment

Wait, Google is Not my friend?
                          Depends, do you do lunch with reps from any of the various three-letter agencies?

Comment

Depends, do you do lunch with reps from any of the various three-letter agencies?
                            IF I recall correctly, and these days that's a big if, it was Microsoft which first got into bed with the "three letter agencies" agencies. It was Apple which was secretly collecting GPS data on customers and handing over to gov agencies. Etc. When it comes down to the buck none of them are your friends.

Comment

I think not. But having my android phone always with me, it could be that they hear me having lunch

Comment

I think not. But having my android phone always with me, it could be that they hear me having lunch
                                That they can, EVEN with the flip phone or smartphone turned off (powered down), because they aren't really off. The only way remove all possibility of your phone spying on your conversations is to take the battery OUT. But, you can't do that with any iPhone!

Comment

Working...
                                X