Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple 'Notes' appear on Desktop in Kubuntu 15.04, like a virus!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple 'Notes' appear on Desktop in Kubuntu 15.04, like a virus!

Kubuntu 15.04 stabilized quite a bit, however recently, the widget for 'notes' started to appear on screen. They increaced in quantity until at least 25 overlapping, yellow, empty notes would appear.

Sometimes when I right-clicked on a note image, the choice to quit would be offered. When I selected the option that note would leave. Many times when I right-clicked on a note image, the selection menu would appear, by that, I mean the one that allows you to resize or close the note or move to another place on the screen, or by selecting 'X' close the pop-up. Some times when I clicked on the X the note would leave, many times it would not answer the instruction, and I would have to restart the computer to continue.

When I searched to find if this was a common event and bug in the new distribution, I did not find any discussion on the subject. Since I have gone several days with a nicely functioning Kubuntu 15.04 distribution, I do not know how to value this problem. The funny thing is that it acts like a virus, not a bug, and in my 20 or so years with Kubuntu, I have never had a virus or the need to install virus software.

Still, I did install clamav, I installed everything, so I may have installed apps that caused it not to work. In any event, after Muon suggested a successful GUI install, I tried to find it in the menu. I could not, so I pressed Alt+ F2 and typed in clamav. It did not appear as an option or respond to pressing the enter key. I then opened a konsole and entered 'clamav' in the command line and nothing opened. So, Muon says it is there, but my computer says it is not.

That has never happened before either, kind of supporting the idea of a virus, at least as I remember from using Windows.

I certainly do not want to blame the new Kubuntu distribution if a virus has somehow been able to infect my Linux system, but I also don't want to leave the idea we are vulnerable to virus attack either. Any ideas are most welcome. Thanks! Shab

Didn't you have a similar problem a while back? My memory--which is not the greatest any more!--seems to recall something else that was on your desktop that you didn't want, and didn't know how it got there.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

It was an item on the panel that is gone. It showed the power levels in my mouse, and a couple of other things and would not allow itself to be removed. It still comes and goes, from time to time.

The "notes" thing is an application that I never use, so when it appears, it is and has never been activated by me. It is titles 'notes' and is yellow in color. In fact there is a Yellow Notes Icon on the right monitor panel at all times, though not on my default left monitor.

I can live with it on the panel, because it does not block anything I am doing on the desktop, but when the notes thing I am talking about happens it ends up taking most of the desctop in repeated and overlapping instances. I have had more than 25 appear at a single time, before I restart and shut down the computer completely and unplug the computer until all power has left.

I am writing from my laptop right now. I am in the Kubuntu 15.04 OS 64 bit and things are working great. The notes Icon does not appear on this panel, as it does on my desktop PC. But on the Desktop PC, the panel Icon never leaves, and when the Notes windows cascade all over the screen, nothing can be done, until I remove each and every one.

It acts like a virus. I have never had a virus on my Linux Distribution in over 20 years, so I have no memory of anything like it in any Linux Distribution. But, I have had virus' in different versions of Windows, and it looks similar to one of those occasions. I really hate to think of having to use virus software on my Kubuntu distributipon. Kubuntu has been so unaffected and worked great over the years.

If it becomes common practice ever, I may stop using a computer, it is so annoying. I am not as disciplined as most, I guess, but due to the intrusions of unwanted apps in Windows, I finally purged all windows operating systems from my computers. I am quite happy now that they are gone.

I am actually hoping that this is a bug in the new OS. If so, I am confident that the programmers will fix the problem, but no similar problems being posted makes me concerned that it may not be a new distribution problem.

If you too are unfamiliar, I have considered it being something like perhaps a memory problem, but I ran a memory test for about a day with no errors indicated, so I believe my new matching memory is functioning properly.

Is there a test I can run to see if perhaps my motherboard has a problem? Could this type of problem even be a hardware problem?

As hard as it has been for me to learn my present state of knowledge of the operation of computers, I am sure I will not live long enough to know those answers from experience. I will have to get the answer from one of you guys to know that. Thanks for the inquiry!

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      Didn't you have a similar problem a while back? My memory--which is not the greatest any more!--seems to recall something else that was on your desktop that you didn't want, and didn't know how it got there.
      Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jun 26, 2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

After removing all the widgets from my screen, the problem seems to be resolved. I still have an unwanted "Notes" Icon in my panel, but haven't had the cascading notes all over the screen any more. I will mark this post as resolved, because I believe it is a Plasmoid problem. I can wait for that to be fixed while enjoying Kubuntu 15.04 at the same time. It looks like it is Not a hardware problem, which is a nightmare to figure out and expensive at the same time. Thanks to those who tried to help.

Comment

Working...
        X