Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for no wireless card and Icon that says wireless is connected?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible for no wireless card and Icon that says wireless is connected?

I have not been able to connect to my laptop for about a year. Recently I installed Kubuntu 15.04 and when I provided my WIFI password, it says that I am connected via wireless. Nevertheless, when I attempt to connect to the Internet, I cannot connect.

I am posting from my PC. Additionally, when I connect to Dlink, my router mfg. at 192.168.0.1, I seem to get connected, but the password that works to open the page is my old WIFI password, not the one I changed to while recently contacting a technician at Dlink.

When I connected by clicking on the Icon on my panel, I used the new password mentioned in the previous paragraph to make my connection. When I did, it said I was and am connected, however I repeat, trying to engage the browser fails.

Does this make any sense at all to anyone? Thanks!

In the past one of the things was that I tried two Ethernet cables to verify that cables were OK. Today while going through the many steps I have tried for about a year now, I tried a new cable that I received to confirm the cable between the router and modem was good. The new cable made everything work. I am both happy and sad, because I finally have wireless working in my laptop, but feel pretty bad, because in the past I have tried replacing a bad cable with my backup "bad" cable not thinking it possible for two ethernet cables to be defective at the same time. I am frustrated that I went so long before finding the problem. I have wasted a lot of the forums time on this problem and am sorry.

I have destroyed and trashed the defective cables so this cannot happen again. Thanks for the patience those of you who have tried to help over the past year. What a strange and terrible coincidence that my backup was defective too, and you cannot see anything to suggest either bad cable is defective.

I am quite fortunate that I found the new and unused cable and almost as an afterthought tried it one more time. Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
      ...I have destroyed and trashed the defective cables so this cannot happen again...
      I have learned this lesson, and relearned it repeatedly. I've tried cutting the cable into 2 cm lengths, crushing the terminators in a vice, and fire (not a good idea), all in order to sear the lesson indelibly into my brain (if it can be called that). And still, have had to relearn it.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

If you are not over 65 then welcome to your future. Extremely frustrating!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm still using an old 10Base-T cable tester from like 25 years ago. It's almost always the crimp, so I really don't need fancy 100 megabit speed tests like an expensive Fluke. Twist the cable around a little and if the light goes off mystery is solved.

Comment

Working...
          X