This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences of DVD amd64 & desktop amd64

Hello people, I'm new to Kubuntu and I used to install kubuntu 12.04 dvd amd64 which has a size of 3.2g, the later versions of kubuntu like 13, 14 or 15 doesn't provide dvd version anymore, therefore I intend to choose desktop amd64 as replacement despite of its smaller size which is around 1g. Could anybody tell me the differences of the installation size between 3.2g & 1g and why the dvd versions has discontinued Thanks in advance for the help.

The CD version has been discontinued because the base install has grown beyond the size of a CD. The DVD image has never been discontinued.

Download Kubuntu DVD and USB stick images.
    http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, your choice of forum ID might be offensive to some. You should consider changing it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        BTW, your choice of forum ID might be offensive to some. You should consider changing it.
        The oldest profession in the world.

Now I'm intrigued by what the 524 stands for!

Comment

Thanks people,

I download my image from
          http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/relea...12.04/release/

I found two types of images, the kubuntu-12.04-desktop-amd64.iso (which oshunluvr recommend to be continued in 13,14 & 15 ) but with smaller size of 1g
          and another one is kubuntu-12.04-dvd-amd64.iso which I think has discontinued in newer version but has a much bigger size at 3.2g
          I was really curious about the size differences and the contents that makes the difference

BTW I apologize for the bad name if it cause any disturbanses, it wasn't chose specifically and please forget about it.

Comment

The image with dvd it its name contains more application software. It's an alternative to downloading such software from a repository when you wish to install it. The image with desktop in its name is sufficient for completing a functional installation of Kubuntu.

Also -- please check your private messages. I have a request for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              The image with dvd it its name contains more application software. It's an alternative to downloading such software from a repository when you wish to install it. The image with desktop in its name is sufficient for completing a functional installation of Kubuntu.

Also -- please check your private messages. I have a request for you.
              Thanks Steve.

I found the following website describing the application software repository downloading, installation ...etc from the keywords you had told me. Is this the way I could install the software Iike the conventional dvd version of kubuntu
              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

Comment

you would first install the version of kubuntu you would like (I would suggest 14.04) from hear http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

then use muon package manager (not the software center like in your link)to install whatever you like .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Magic

Luc(i)ent:
                  http://biblehub.com/genesis/1-14.htm

Comment

What's the connection between what Vinny suggested and the Px Bible? Lost me here.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      What's the connection between what Vinny suggested and the Px Bible? Lost me here.
                      Not connected to vinny's comments, rather the screen name change done by the OP...

However, Lucent just means giving off light. Lucient is a Spanish word meaning shining.
                      Last edited by oshunluvr; Jun 11, 2015, 01:40 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I liked the old name ,,,,,,, I was friends with quite a few of the practitioners of the worlds oldest profession when I was a young man ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Aaaaa the good old days.

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Oh, yes, I remember now the previous name. Well, either name is ok by me, no hay importante.
                          Juliet:
                          "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
                          By any other name would smell as sweet."
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                          X