This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma will not save changes

Hello, After upgrading from Kubuntu 14.10 to 15.04, I was horrified to realize Plasma is unstable and poses many problems.
    After overcoming the "blank screen syndrome" Plasma crashes and the only way to reload it is by clearing files from .cache, I added the backports ppa and upgraded to the lates version.
    Now a different problem: Plasma doesn't save the changes I do in it: new apps installed disappear after logout, new icons added to favourites disappear etc.
    Note - the permission on .kde directory (and inside folders and files) is open for all.
    Help will be appreciated.
    The new guy

What about permissions on ~/.local and ~/.config? These are where Plasma 5 / Frameworks 5 / Applications 15.x now store configuration and state data.

Comment

Well... First thanks for the answer. It is the (almost) right solution.
      What I did was to reinstall, then as the problem persisted looked again in the internet and found the solution for many other problems
      I had with Plasma:
      It lies in the .cache file: First - empty it form the files (only the files under the .cache library, not the folders there!), then change permission to the folder to allow the user to write into it.
      Lo and behold! Everything works fine now!
      You may mark this as solved.
      Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by eyal_por View Post
        Well... First thanks for the answer. It is the (almost) right solution.
        What I did was to reinstall, then as the problem persisted looked again in the internet and found the solution for many other problems
        I had with Plasma:
        It lies in the .cache file: First - empty it form the files (only the files under the .cache library, not the folders there!), then change permission to the folder to allow the user to write into it.
        Lo and behold! Everything works fine now!
        You may mark this as solved.
        Thank you.
        I am wandering how your ~/.cache got it's permissions changed ,,,,,,as by default on a new install & forever the ~/.cache and everything in ~/ (thats /home/you) should be owned by you ,,,, user=you ,group=you with owner/user can view and modify and group can view and modify others can view!!

unless you were using some GUI application opened with sudo (which you should never do) instead of kdesudo it should not have changed to where you could not write to it .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          I am wandering how your ~/.cache got it's permissions changed ,,,,,,as by default on a new install & forever the ~/.cache and everything in ~/ (thats /home/you) should be owned by you ,,,, user=you ,group=you with owner/user can view and modify and group can view and modify others can view!!

unless you were using some GUI application opened with sudo (which you should never do) instead of kdesudo it should not have changed to where you could not write to it .

VINNY
          I wouldn't know either but it did.
          But after overcoming many other issues I think 15.05 is one of the best releases I encountered yet.
          Fast, solid, clean and easy to use.
          But if we are in this thread, I have another nagging (minor) issue: How does one get rid of the volume control annoying bubbly sound?

Comment

Originally posted by eyal_por View Post
            I wouldn't know either but it did.
            But after overcoming many other issues I think 15.05 is one of the best releases I encountered yet.
            Fast, solid, clean and easy to use.
            But if we are in this thread, I have another nagging (minor) issue: How does one get rid of the volume control annoying bubbly sound?
            click the speaker icon in the system tray ,,, under the "event sounds" slider click the little speaker to mute it and/or just drag the slider to the bottom
            16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              click the speaker icon in the system tray ,,, under the "event sounds" slider click the little speaker to mute it and/or just drag the slider to the bottom
              Thanks, you are the best! :-)

Comment

you are welcome ,,,,,,,I do not like the ,,,,,,"bubbly sound",,,,,either .

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                X