X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No prefix suited to my problem.

Hi, need a guru with talent.

First, I am dual boot Kubuntu 14.10/Kubuntu 15.04. I am not advanced enough to have 15.04 installed, but being very old and wanting to experience as much technology as possible, I always have a cutting edge version installed.

A friend's daughter has Kubuntu 15.04 installed on her laptop; it works great for her with little or no problems. On the other hand, I have a desktop computer, AMD 8-core with 32GB ram, and although my Kubuntu 14.10 distribution works just great and problem free, my Kubuntu 15.04 distribution freezes after open in just a few minutes.

It works fine through the update/upgrade process, and fine for several minutes in pretty much any application I open, but freezes soon after opening an application. At that point nothing works on the panel.

I have an analog clock widget on screen that is frozen too. Additionally, when frozen, the only way to close the OS is to hard-close.

I believe I have read all the experiences that are posted relating to Kubuntu 15.04, and none show any similar indications.

My system is quite fast, and I did not expect Kubuntu 15.04 to appear significantly faster than when Kubuntu 14.10 is running, but in the short periods of time that Kubuntu 15.04 is working, it seems to be running significantly faster.

Recently I upgraded from 16GB of RAM to 32GB. I wondered if that may have something to do with my problem, but since Kubuntu 14.10 works perfectly when booted, it doesn't make sense that I have a memory problem when Kubuntu 15.04 is loaded.

I install all updates, upgrades, security updates daily and never seem to have problems with that procedure prior to the system freeze, so my Kubuntu distribution is current daily, I believe.

I realize the person who may answer this post is wondering why I am even trying to operate at the cutting edge of technology and may not want to take the time to respond, but beside gardening a little each day, my computer is my only companion any more, and I am passionate about getting as much experience prior to my end as possible.

If you have any idea what I might try to get my computer to work a little better in the Kubuntu 15.04 install, please forward your recommendations.

If it might be a combination of my hardware, it is as follows:

AMD 8-core processor running at 4Ghz
    32 GB GSkill 1800 DDR3 SDRAM all matching.
    2GB XFX PCI Express 3.0 DDR5 Video
    DVDRW
    Sabertooth 990-FX R2 Motherboard

Any response will be appreciated. Every day, after I have updated and upgraded, etc., I am left very depressed with the lack of results with any changes that are provided. Any input will make an old man very happy.

Thanks!

Shab

Kubuntu 15.04 has frozen consistently since shortly after installation. Kubuntu worked perfectly for several weeks and did not show the problem, so I believed that my problems were in the Kubuntu 15.04 installation. I even reinstalled the OS to see if the problem occurred in the installation process.

Recently Kubuntu 14.10 took on similar freezing characteristics. It was worse, because this time neither OS would work at all, even for the few minutes even Kubuntu 15.04 worked.

Because of my recent upgrade in memory and although it did not seem possible that the problem could be memory while affecting only one of my two bootable systems, I nevertheless tested my memory.

After 11 hours and two complete runs of the memory test, my memory indicated NO errors.

After going through this process without success, I wondered if I might have a mouse going bad. I had made sure I had full batteries prior to this consideration on several trials. I changed batteries with full batteries on two separate occasions without having any changes in the result.

When both Operating Systems finally gave way to the selfsame problem, I wondered if perhaps issues with the new OS had not been resolved with mouse considerations, while stabilized in the previous version.

I then replaced the mouse and tried opening Kubuntu 15.04. To my great surprise, the system seemed to operate normally. I was able to open and close several applications, play a movie on Netflix, and finally decided to answer this post as solved.

In the process of creating the post, the freezing problem re-emerged. I then opened Kubuntu 14.10 to see if the problem re-emerged here too. Not yet, because this reply is to state the immediate current situation so that perhaps a guru may notice something yet unthought.

Not sure of what will happen, I am looking for help.

Those of you who recognize my handle know that my computer is very important to me. They are also possibly aware that my laptop has not been working for close to a year now, after installing a new HDD and re-installing Vista and Kubuntu 14.04.

Although both systems installed, with Vista being installed using a recovery disk, neither system would connect to the Internet. I am sure the drivers are missing during the Vista install and were not automatically installed when Kubuntu 14.04 was reinstalled.

I still have that problem. I am including information in this post about that problem too, not knowing when or if I will lost my Desktop Systems to freeze again.

My only hope to continue, if that happens, is if I can get my network adapter and wireless adapters installed properly.

To add to my problems and because a friend was able to get Kubuntu 15.04 installed in her laptop stable, I decided to try installing Kubuntu 15.04 in my laptop. hoping that perhaps the drivers would be automatically installed from the USBlive used to install the system.

I am so fed up with Microsoft anything that in desperation I finally junked their OS's completely by installing Kubuntu 15.04 where Win Vista had been located. But this may have created a new problem, because if the drivers for networking have to be installed by Microsoft to be seen by Kubuntu, I no longer have Vista on my laptop.

Anyone who has the talent to know the answer to my problem - please help me out of this mess. My computer is more important to me that a computer is to most others. It is basically my only companion, the other voice in the room. Life is very difficult when it is not working.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965 system unit, part no. PSAP3U-01G00C, serial #. 79235933Q. It has an Intel dual core 2Ghz processor. Both Kubuntu 14.10 and Kubuntu 15.04 64bit systems are installed. It has 8gb memory. I am unsure of what the networking cards are and do not know how to find that information.

If you can locate the drivers for my laptop and display how to get them in a reply, I have a local friend who is member in Kubuntu forums and will locate and download them for me.

If I can become able to connect using my laptop, I will have access to help and Internet info to resolve the problems with my PC.

If my PC has a hardware problem, it has to be Processor, memory, vid card, mouse, or motherboard. I have checked and gotten a good bill of health on all the components.

AMD 4GHz 8 core, GSkill 32GB DDR3 @ 1866 DDR3, 2GB XFX Video DDR5, Sabertooth 990FX R2 MB.

Comment

I re-installed once before and failed; I re-installed Kubuntu 15.04 again today and it works great. I used the new installation for several hours and it worked perfectly. I installed all the applications that served me, and finally got around to installing a couple of widgets. No matter how hard I tested the application, everything continued to work perfectly. Nonetheless, when I installed an analog clock and a countdown timer, a couple of hours later the system froze as before. I restarted the computer and remembered that it wasn't until after I installed the widgets that the distribution started to freeze again. I immediately removed the widgets and I have worked another half day with perfect function. I am not positive, but I believe it is the installation of the widgets that caused the freeze problems. If you are having a similar experience, remove the widgets you have on your desktop and see if the system stabilizes. If it does, perhaps we can get the attention of the programmers to fix the problem. Cheers! I am quite happy. I prefer having the widgets, but more than that I prefer a functioning Kubuntu 15.04, which I believe is a great improvement otherwise.
      Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jun 22, 2015, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X