This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems after system update

I've been using Kubuntu for about a year now with no issues, everything's been great.

But, since doing a system update last week (now running Ubuntu 14.04, KDELibs 4.13.3, Qt version 4.8.6, kernel version 3.13.0-30) on my laptop, I've run into three major issues: no sound (it looks like the system doesn't recognize the sound card), issues with power management, and unmet dependencies whenever I try to install something, which is probably the most serious issue.

Here's what I get whenever I try to use sudo apt-get:

user@user-ThinkPad-Edge-E530:~/Documents/PythonProjects$ sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    linux-headers-3.13.0-53-generic : Depends: linux-headers-3.13.0-53 but it is not installed
    linux-image-generic : Depends: linux-image-extra-3.13.0-53-generic but it is not installed
    wine-compholio : Depends: wine-compholio-amd64 (= 1.7.26~ubuntu14.04.1) but 1.7.43~ubuntu14.04.1 is installed
    Depends: wine-compholio-i386 (= 1.7.26~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not installable
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
    Depending on what I try to do it can be more or less, but those three seem to be at the core of the problem.

Any ideas?

Have you tried sudo apt-get -f install like the message says?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Have you tried sudo apt-get -f install like the message says?
      Yes, I have, and I still get the same dependencies. I know sudo apt-get -f is supposed to fix dependency issues, but it's not working in this case.

edit: attempting sudo apt-get -f -u dist-upgrade, hadn't tried -f on that one yet.

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to run these three, this way:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get -f install
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          It wouldn't hurt to run these three, this way:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get -f install
          Well, I'd already entered sudo apt-get -f -u dist-upgrade expecting to run into the same dependencies again (-f hadn't worked earlier on a few things). Lo and behold it started going, looks like it did an upgrade from kernel version 3.13.0-30 to 3.13.0-53. The sound is working again, and power management is as well. Hopefully the dependency issue was solved.

Could you please explain the difference between the commands you suggested and the one I executed?

Comment

The dpkg command doesn't download anything but it can re-configure and/or install a package that is queued but apt-get didn't complete for some reason (like a missing dependency). It will often fix a messed up installer issue. You should run apt-get update - especially when using a new release like 15.04 - prior to any other apt-get command just to be sure you're getting the correct packages.

In your case here, it's possible that you got the first file from the repo but the second one hadn't uploaded all the way yet. This would cause a missing dependency just because if wasn't available the first time. Other things can cause the same issue - like a crash during package install.

Upgrade vs. dist-upgrade:

upgrade
            upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
            currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
            /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
            versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
            circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
            not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
            currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
            changing the install status of another package will be left at
            their current version. An update must be performed first so that
            apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
            dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
            also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
            of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
            it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
            expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade
            command may remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file
            contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package
            files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding
            the general settings for individual packages.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              The dpkg command doesn't download anything but it can re-configure and/or install a package that is queued but apt-get didn't complete for some reason (like a missing dependency). It will often fix a messed up installer issue. You should run apt-get update - especially when using a new release like 15.04 - prior to any other apt-get command just to be sure you're getting the correct packages.

In your case here, it's possible that you got the first file from the repo but the second one hadn't uploaded all the way yet. This would cause a missing dependency just because if wasn't available the first time. Other things can cause the same issue - like a crash during package install.
              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X