X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub Rescue help!

Hi,

I was duel booting Windows 10 technical preview with Kubuntu on my Samsung R580 laptop, and everything was running fine until last night. Whilst using it in Win 10 it started updating the OS and knowing that this takes ages I left it and took my dog for a walk. When I came back it had turned off - assumed that the update + reboot had been completed as usual.

I went to turn it on today and the Grub menu has disappeared and all I get now is:

error: no such partition
    Entering rescue mode...
    grub rescue >

?

ls shows:

hd(0) (hd0,msdos6) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,msdos1)

not knowing what to do, I have tried reinstalling Windows 10 from USB, but it won't boot up, all I get is a blank screen with a flashing cursor. I made sure that it was formatted correctly - NTFS using unetbootin.

I went into BIOS and reset the settings to standard, still no joy.

I am at a loss what to do to get it to work,

Please HELP!

Well, I avoid Windows issues, but this is not about me (I would buy two PCs--one for Windows and one for Linux ;-) ). Don't panic (easy to say, I know). If it were me with my Windows, I'd say that somehow during the update Windows took over the booting, or at least did something to prevent your GRUB from doing its proper thing.

Short-term, quick fix:
    Get Boot Repair disk, it will * most probably * fix this.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

After it is fixed, get another boot manager that will work perfectly well alongside your GRUB, it's called rEFInd, here's a brief how-to, it is easy and quick to install--with rEFInd, you will probably always have a way to boot into something -- some OS.
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372221

That's it.

Aside:
    Another option, if you don't mind doing it, is to boot your PC with your Kubuntu live DVD/USB, and from the live Kubuntu session, re-install GRUB to your Kubuntu OS -- that will probably also pick up your Windows, too, so when you re-boot, your GRUB menu will show Kubuntu and Windows. Here's the link, but this is basically what Boot Repair will do for you.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks fro that, I'll give it a try.

But why can't I install Windows from my bootable USB?

Comment

But why can't I install Windows from my bootable USB?
        I'm not a Windows-guy (not since XP), but I'd say that your Windows OS may be OK, it may not be damaged -- perhaps only the booting setup is damaged somehow. Boot Repair would shed some light on this -- you could boot into Kubuntu, see that it is OK, then boot into Windows and see if it is broken.

Or, I'm guessing you can re-install Windows, see what it does with the boot setup. You may still have to use Boot repair, though, afterwards.

In any case, trust me, after you fix this, do consider getting rEFInd installed in your Kubuntu.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Misunderstood: Oh, I see, you are not able to run your USB installer. Then, I'm not sure what. I do suspect, though, that maybe the USB installer made with Unetbootin may be faulty. I.e., you have not damaged your computer or your BIOS; it's just the USB that may be faulty (it apparently happens with Unetbootin). Boot Repair may get you into Kubuntu, though. Then you can think this through with Windows. But do suspect Unetbootin.

Comment

Make sure both your Windows and your Kubuntu are 64-bit for the UEFI (and your USB must be UEFI-compatible, like 64-bit). You have UEFI firmware on your laptopp, probably? a new-ish laptop since say 2011?

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I burned the Kubuntu iso direct from the unetbootin menu as opposed to previously downloading it to pc - to my usb and reinstalled it. Grub/Kubuntu and Win 10 have now reappeared.

Yay!

Thanks.

Comment

Good. Not sure what you did, but it worked. (You only need to re-install GRUB, not all of Kubuntu, but it doesn't matter as long as you are satisfied with the result and effort. Do look into Boot repair--keep it handy--and rEFInd, also.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                  duel booting Windows 10 technical preview with Kubuntu
                  Indeed, dual booting often feels like a duel! (Sorry, couldn't resist )

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  USB that may be faulty (it apparently happens with Unetbootin)
                  Unetbootin can't properly create UEFI media. That's why I stay away from it now.

Comment

Working...
                  X