This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a little help mounting music folder on startup

Hi, I am running an HP Pav DV7 1245dx laptop with dual hdd. My main drive is a 240g ssd and the other is an 80g hdd. I dual boot Kubuntu 14.04 and Win 7 Ult on the ssd, and have my music, some movies, and my Win 7 system backup on the 80g. I use Clementine, but this is not limited to Clementine, other programs can't seem to remember that the movies and music is on the 80g. Every time I have to reboot this pc, all my movie and music programs can't remember where the music or movie files are. I have to manually tell them when I want them to play. How can I get these programs to remember. This thread is very close to what I need, will this work for me also? https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...nts-Not-Loaded. I am kinda leery of doing things not necessarily designed for what I'm doing. I have been using Linux for a few years now, tried a variety of different Debian related distros, mint, cinnamon, ubuntu, ubuntu with cairo desk top, (don't like Unity), Linus Lite, Backtrack, and then some I can't remember. I hope I was clear in my question.

Do you have an entry for the 80 G partition in /etc/fstab that looks something like this?

Code:
    UUID=ABCDEFABCDEF1234 /windows        ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0       0
    with a different unique identifier string, or something like /dev/sdb1 instead? Filesystems defined in /etc/fstab are mounted during boot.

You can tell the installer to use an existing NTFS partition, but if you don't do so during installation, you'll need to edit /etc/fstab yourself as root with sudo in a terminal window:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/fstab
    First, you need to find out the identifier for the 80 GB partition. Use "sudo blkid" to see a list. Then use the UUID it gives you and create an entry in /etc/fstab like the one above. Replace "/windows" with the path to the "mount point" for the device, for instance, "/media/MyMedia". Create the mount point first with "sudo mkdir /media/MyMedia".
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 29, 2015, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for responding, I have a little idea what you are saying, kinda slow at this still. I do know that the 80g and the partition my Win install is on are both mounted at startup.

clay1245dx@clay1245dx-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo blkid
      [sudo] password for clay1245dx:
      /dev/sda1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="A03CFB1E3CFAEE62" TYPE="ntfs"
      /dev/sda2: UUID="741E10FD1E10B9D6" TYPE="ntfs"
      /dev/sda5: UUID="3fe3c656-fe45-4467-9b09-3b5422fb23f9" TYPE="ext4"
      /dev/sda6: UUID="95b653ef-1e03-44e7-aa85-805fedd572bb" TYPE="swap"
      /dev/sdb1: LABEL="80g" UUID="5DC1ED26588BE2C9" TYPE="ntfs"
      clay1245dx@clay1245dx-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$clay1245dx@clay1245dx-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo blkid

I don't see the 80g listed below but Dolphin says they are mounted.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
      # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
      # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
      #
      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
      # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
      UUID=3fe3c656-fe45-4467-9b09-3b5422fb23f9 / ext4 errors=remoun$
      # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
      UUID=95b653ef-1e03-44e7-aa85-805fedd572bb none swap sw $

sudo mkdir /media/MyMedia
      I guess I made that dir. Didn't say if it made or not, lol.
      Not sure where to go from here.

Comment

I suspect this is because you're mounting the windows drive at log in via automount rather than at boot via fstab.

Make a permanent directory to mount to:

Make it yours:

sudo chown clay1245dx:clay1245dx /media/MyMedia

Then edit /etc/fstab as Clayman suggested and add this line to the end of it:

/dev/sdb1 /media/MyMedia ntfs defaults 0 0

and save. Don't forget to leave a blank line (extra carriage return) at the end of fstab.

Then do these to "activate" your drive without rebooting:

sudo umount /media/MyMedia
        sudo mount /media/MyMedia

It should persist from then on.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm sure that works fine but for me adding a fstab entry that mounted to ~/music was the simplest way. You already own that folder. Biggest problem I had was Windows (FAT) not liking Linux (ext4) file names. I had to rename about a dozen songs when I moved them because of illegal (to Winblows) characters.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
            illegal (to Winblows) characters.
            They are "illegal" because they serve other purposes at the command line and inside PowerShell. Not some arbitrary decision to make your life harder

Comment

I had to rename about a dozen songs when I moved them because of illegal (to Winblows) characters.
              Here is the thing, I don't want to MOVE them, I keep my music and movies on separate partitions for a reason, (I have had times that I did something wrong, in linux and windows, and baked my os partition and lost everything) what I need is Kubuntu to mount and windows to mount, so both os'es have reliable access to them without have to re-establish the files after every reboot.

Make a permanent directory to mount to:

I have already made that dir /my media, but don't know how to check if it is there or not, so if I am following this properly, I now need to edit fstab, but that is where I am lost, when I had fstab open in sudo terminal, I didn't see any way to add a line or edit.

I understand this part,

Make it yours:

sudo chown clay1245dx:clay1245dx /media/MyMedia
              But not this part,

Then edit /etc/fstab as Clayman suggested and add this line to the end of it:

and save. Don't forget to leave a blank line (extra carriage return) at the end of fstab.

Comment

/etc/fstab is a .txt file ,,,,,you can edit it "as root" if you do
                Code:
                kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
                you will get the file opened as root in a text editor ,,,,add the line
                Code:
                [FONT=Monospace][COLOR=#333333]/dev/sdb1 /media/MyMedia ntfs defaults 0 0[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#333333]
                [/COLOR]
                to the end of the file and hit enter a extra time or 2 for the blank line (end of file) ,,,,,,,,,save and exit kate.

now do a
                Code:
                sudo mount -a
                ,,,,,,thats it your 80Gig drive should be accessible at /media/MyMedia and mounted at boot .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I did what you said (everyone trying to help) and added MyMedia to the library again, rebooted and it knows where it is at, thank you guys very much.

Now, what is the difference between these 2 enties:
                  sudo nano /etc/fstab
                  kdesudo kate /etc/fstab

I'm still trying to get a handle on the terminal stuff, getting better but slowly.

clay1245dx@clay1245dx-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo blkid
                  [sudo] password for clay1245dx:
                  /dev/sda1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="A03CFB1E3CFAEE62" TYPE="ntfs"
                  /dev/sda2: UUID="741E10FD1E10B9D6" TYPE="ntfs"
                  /dev/sda5: UUID="3fe3c656-fe45-4467-9b09-3b5422fb23f9" TYPE="ext4"
                  /dev/sda6: UUID="95b653ef-1e03-44e7-aa85-805fedd572bb" TYPE="swap"
                  /dev/sdb1: LABEL="80g" UUID="5DC1ED26588BE2C9" TYPE="ntfs"

Excellent, day by day I am learning more,

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                  #
                  # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
                  # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
                  # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
                  #
                  # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                  # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
                  UUID=3fe3c656-fe45-4467-9b09-3b5422fb23f9 / ext4 errors=remoun$
                  # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
                  UUID=95b653ef-1e03-44e7-aa85-805fedd572bb none swap sw $

Comment

Originally posted by Clayman1000x View Post
                    I did what you said (everyone trying to help) and added MyMedia to the library again, rebooted and it knows where it is at, thank you guys very much.

Now, what is the difference between these 2 enties:
                    sudo nano /etc/fstab
                    kdesudo kate /etc/fstab
                    "nano" is a command line text editor ,,,,,,,,, "sudo" gives the command/program root privileges ,,,,,,,,, "/etc/fstab" is the path to the file for "nano" to open .

"kate" is a GUI (graphical user interface) text editor ,,,,,,,,, "kdesudo" will safely open a GUI application with root privileges (NEVER open a GUI application with sudo) .

be careful with the "sudo" and "kdesudo" as you can do anything to your system wile using them ,,,,,even brake it .

for instance ,,,,,, you as your user can not delete or change the /etc/fstab file ,,,,,,, BUT using sudo or kdesudo you can ,,,,,, and without it or if it is not edited correctly you will not boot up at all.

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have already made that dir /my media, but don't know how to check if it is there or not,
                      The command to list files and folders is "ls" - the dos equivalent to "dir".

Just about every command line program has a help attachment the shows possible options and a man (short for manual) page. So to see what you can do with "ls" you type either "ls --help" or "man ls".

To check to see if that folder is present, type "ls /media" and you should see it. Then type "ls /media/MyMedia" and you'll see your music files.

The most commonly used options for ls are -l (for long listing) and -a (for all files - shows hidden files too), so to see all your files including the hidden ones in a ling listing, type "ls -la /media/MyMedia"

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        They are "illegal" because they serve other purposes at the command line and inside PowerShell. Not some arbitrary decision to make your life harder
                        It's better (IMHO) to say "They are "restricted" because...."
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          It's better (IMHO) to say "They are "restricted" because...."
                          I agree. In fact, "restricted" is (IIRC) the canonical descriptor.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            "nano" is a command line text editor ,,,,,,,,, "sudo" gives the command/program root privileges ,,,,,,,,, "/etc/fstab" is the path to the file for "nano" to open .

"kate" is a GUI (graphical user interface) text editor ,,,,,,,,, "kdesudo" will safely open a GUI application with root privileges (NEVER open a GUI application with sudo) .

be careful with the "sudo" and "kdesudo" as you can do anything to your system wile using them ,,,,,even brake it .

for instance ,,,,,, you as your user can not delete or change the /etc/fstab file ,,,,,,, BUT using sudo or kdesudo you can ,,,,,, and without it or if it is not edited correctly you will not boot up at all.

VINNY
                            Oh, I know that sudo and command line can hose my system, that’s what is a little scary about using it. But then again, that is how I learned how to repair systems, by totally hosing my own and having to fix it, I know linux has come a long way even since I started messing with it back about 2007. I can remember trying to get a netgear wireless adapter to work using diswrapper or something like that, never did get it working. The only thing windows has over Linux for me anymore is converting avi, mp4 or mkv to dvd format and gaming, I don't really like steam, not what I need. But thank you everyone for your help, I have already bookmarked this site for future use. Just wish I had more experience to share with and help new users, I am constantly trying to convert my customers from windows to Kubuntu, it reminds me a lot of win 7 with the classic menu. Love it.
                            Last edited by Clayman1000x; May 31, 2015, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X