This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QuickLaunch widget no longer available?

backstory: As of today, I'm back with Kubuntu after a 1.5 year (approx.) stint with openSUSE KDE. The last time I ran kubuntu, it was 12.04 LTS (precise). Now, I'm running 15.04 (vivid).

Back when I ran kubuntu precise and opensuse, I remember a widget called "quick launch" on which you could put shortcuts to applications. But now I no longer see that in the list of available widgets... (Q1) is QuickLaunch still available?

Also, I see that I can't drag an application to a desktop panel to make a shortcut for it there... I remember being able to do that too back in 12.04 (and also in opensuse). (Q2) Is there a way to do that?

I know that 15.04 has Plasma 5... so I suppose my difficulties have something to do with what got changed apropos.
    I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

QuickLaunch will first have to be ported from Plasma4 to Plasma5.
    There are several more apps and functions still missing or suffering problems with Plasma5.

You can right-click an application to make a 'program starter' as the Dutch version calls it.

Comment

Ah, I see. I have a feeling that I'll like Plasma 5 more than Plasma 4 once certain things (such as this) are eventually resolved.

Certain widgets, though, are available but not as functional as they were in Plasma 4. The "notes" widget, for instance, doesn't let me change the background color. Also, the RAM-meter doesn't display any numbers, just shows a vial partially filled without numeric labels.

One last thing I'll complain about--I like having the "show desktop" icon in the far right of the taskbar, but Plasma 5 doesn't let me do that because the "cashew" is locked into the rightmost position.
      I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by rybnik View Post
        One last thing I'll complain about--I like having the "show desktop" icon in the far right of the taskbar, but Plasma 5 doesn't let me do that because the "cashew" is locked into the rightmost position.
        You can lock your widgets (right-click on desktop>>lock widgets) and the cashew goes away (you can unlock again if you wish to add/remove/move your widgets around)

Comment

Thanks, kubicle! That indeed works.

While we're on the subject of Plasma 5, I used to like the Plastique widget style, but I see that's no longer available. Is there a way to install it? I didn't see anything by way of a "get more" button or something similar.
          I run Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Comment

Working...
          X