This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIG UPDATE!

I fiddled around with the drivers a bit. Uninstalled the latest nvidia one (nvidia-349), reinstalled it, and tried again, but nothing. So, just for the sake of checking things fully, I tried booting from the previous update... and here I am! So, whatever it was, it was the update, which then messed up the Nvidia driver, and reinstalling them completely allowed me to return to the old update? This is all speculations, but... well, now I just need to remember every time I boot to boot into the old update!

Thank you so much all!

Comment

Originally posted by Qyvalar View Post
      BIG UPDATE!

I.. well, now I just need to remember every time I boot to boot into the old update!

Thank you so much all!
      just wat do you mean by this ?

you meen an old kernel?

if so did you make shur you had the "dkms"package installed .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        just wat do you mean by this ?

you meen an old kernel?

if so did you make shur you had the "dkms"package installed .

VINNY
        Indeed, it's the 3.13.0-45 kernel.
        And yes, I did also run sudo apt-get install dkms and it returned that it was already installed

Comment

Well.. that's a bummer. I did just notice something....

It's not actually using the NVIDIA drivers, but the Nouveau display drivers that come stock with kubuntu! No matter how much I use the driver management software to tell it to switch to NVIDIA drivers, it always goes back to those ones... which means that everything i was using that relied on video drivers is completely broken!

Uhm. Halp again?

Comment

Sorry I've been busy the past 2 days. Any update on what I could do with the new issue I'm having?

Comment

I'm sorry, I thought you had checked that booting from a previous kernel (in the grub menu) didn't work or didn't change anything. So apparently I was wrong. I don't know how you can make a previous kernel the default, but you can wipe the new ones from your /boot.

But what do you mean the new issue you are having? Don't cry too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
                I'm sorry, I thought you had checked that booting from a previous kernel (in the grub menu) didn't work or didn't change anything. So apparently I was wrong. I don't know how you can make a previous kernel the default, but you can wipe the new ones from your /boot.

But what do you mean the new issue you are having? Don't cry too fast.
                Yes, booting from a previous kernel didn't actually work, that was one of the first things I tried. Somehow, after some messing around and trying a few of the fixes I was suggested, however, booting from the older -45 kernel did start working

Anyways, the issue now is that it doesn't load the Nvidia drivers anymore, always defaulting to the fallback Nouveau drivers instead. Going into system settings, driver configuration, I have the option between Nouveau and Nvidia 340 and 349. Selecting the Nvidia drivers sometimes prompts a password, and after that, a loading bar (supposedly as it searches and activates them?)

This is when things get weird. Sometimes, the tick will go back to Nouveau on its own, ignoring my imput, other times it will remain on Nvidia.. except it will simply not load them. Rebooting, I can see that it's falling back to Nouveau drivers anyways

I tried then installing manually. I downloaded the appropriate drivers from the Nvidia website, but when I start the .run file, all I get is an empty window and nothing happening at all

I heard there's a third option for drivers, but it's much more complicated. I've also heard that I could try blacklisting the Nouveau drivers, but info is fuzzy and very technical. Besides, I'd figure I'd ask directly wheter that sounded like a good idea or not

Cheers! And thanks for the patience

Comment

Originally posted by Qyvalar View Post
                  Selecting the Nvidia drivers sometimes prompts a password, and after that, a loading bar (supposedly as it searches and activates them?)

This is when things get weird. Sometimes, the tick will go back to Nouveau on its own, ignoring my imput, other times it will remain on Nvidia.. except it will simply not load them. Rebooting, I can see that it's falling back to Nouveau drivers anyways
                  this dose sound weird,,,,,,,,,,,,what happens if you try to install the driver from the command line ,,,,,,we are looking for error or warnings

Code:
                          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#18b218]sudo apt install nvidia-346[/COLOR]
                  [/FONT]
                  or whatever ver. you use

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I get this http://pastebin.com/4TmDtfS9

And then proceeds to not work

Comment

Do you need the nVidia driver for anything?

Comment

Do you need the nVidia driver for anything?
                        Sadly yes. Most things just don't work with the stock drivers

Comment

What is, most things? Illuminate me ;-).

Comment

What is, most things? Illuminate me ;-).
                            Well, the most important right now is Kerbal Space Program, really, since I was starting to build a mod for it. With the Nouveau drivers, it launches, but the visuals are all messed up

Should I blacklist them maybe? I'm even thinking about maybe removing everything and reinstalling the OS from scratch, maybe even Kubuntu 15. Lots of maybes, I know, I'm just very lost right now

Comment

Working...
                            X