This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several Issues After Installing Plasma 5

1. Video issue that is intermittent. See here: http://i62.tinypic.com/260y8ex.jpg

2. Notes widget does not work. I get it installed to the panel, but cannot change color of text or background. Also, cannot paste to it.

3. Notifications in panel keeps spinning and says 1, but nothing listed. Does not quit unless I re-boot.

4. Printer works, but scanner does not. I have an HP Laser-jet Pro MFP m225dw. What do I need to do to get it working?

5. If you install VLC, you will see that most of the sub-menus will not display when hovering over 'arrowed' menu topics from the tool bar.

6. The external widgets button installed at the top left goes wacky when I try to move it to the lower right, making it horizontal.

7. Not to mention all the other glitchy stuff going on...

================================================== ====================

System: Host: ron-OptiPlex-760 Kernel: 3.19.0-16-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.9.2) Desktop: KDE 5
    Distro: Ubuntu 15.04 vivid
    Machine: System: Dell product: OptiPlex 760
    Mobo: Dell model: 0D517D v: A00 Bios: Dell v: A02 date: 02/18/2009
    CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
    flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11967
    clock speeds: max: 2991 MHz 1: 2991 MHz 2: 2991 MHz
    Graphics: Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
    Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.5.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
    Audio: Card Intel 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.19.0-16-generic
    Network: Card: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: ecc0 bus-ID: 00:19.0
    IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives: HDD Total Size: 162.1GB (7.3% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3160815AS size: 160.0GB temp: 42C
    ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Flash_Voyager size: 2.1GB temp: 0C
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 143G used: 7.4G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
    ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.12GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
    RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
    Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0C mobo: N/A
    Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info: Processes: 184 Uptime: 2:04 Memory: 1555.9/3789.8MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
    Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.2.16

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
    4. Printer works, but scanner does not. I have an HP Laser-jet Pro MFP m225dw. What do I need to do to get it working?
    If you've got hplip, and can get the HP device manager running, either by running hp-toolbox or via the system tray, but it does not show a "Scan" option, I got that with Trusty. I had to install xsane for the HP GUI to believe it could scan, and show the icon.

Skanlite comes with kubuntu-desktop, I think, so maybe you can scan by running skanlite.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Kubuntu Plasma comes with the latest HPLIP. So isn't this automatically used? I also installed xsane and it made no difference. When I tried scanning, It said- the selected scanner failed.

Comment

I haven't had any problem scanning (with xsane) and printing with the newest version of HPLIP 3.15.4 which I downloaded from http://hplipopensource.com the automatic installer is easy to use and installs the necessary dependencies. One problem I have encountered is that it gives an error about a non-existent system tray when logging in.

Comment

@dtr well do you have my same printer?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
            1. Video issue that is intermittent. See here: http://i62.tinypic.com/260y8ex.jpg
            2. Notes widget does not work. I get it installed to the panel, but cannot change color of text or background. Also, cannot paste to it.
            This one I have no clue, it works fine here both with plasma 5.2 and 5.3

3. Notifications in panel keeps spinning and says 1, but nothing listed. Does not quit unless I re-boot.
            Make sure you have the package libsane-hpaio installed, this has the scanner bits for hp multifunction devices. I can't remember if I needed to install this package or if it was already present. iirc only the very basic non-gui parts of hplip are installed by default, mainly printer drivers.

It also more likely may be related to this bug, as your device requires plugin for scanning support
            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/1422004
            which should see the fix pushed out to the public fairly soon.

5. If you install VLC, you will see that most of the sub-menus will not display when hovering over 'arrowed' menu topics from the tool bar.
            Try this with a video playing. With no file playing, I see what you are, but once I load a file, I can hover and see sub menus fine, except for most audio related ones. The videos I tested (screen captures) did not have sound tracks. Loading an mp3, none of the video menus would expand.

6. The external widgets button installed at the top left goes wacky when I try to move it to the lower right, making it horizontal
            Do you mean the hamburger menu? I can't reproduce this.

Comment

I actually ended up having other issues with Linux Lite, so I am back.
              Last edited by Guest; May 13, 2015, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I need to know how to install the printer fix. I looked around and saw nothing that worked for me.

Comment

If you are talking about the proposed fix from the launchpad bug page I linked to, you will have to edit your software sources settings in Muon and enable Pre-release updates (vivd-proposed) to get the testing package, or else uninstall all hplip related packages, then download and install the latest hplip software from HP and install that.

Comment

I went and added that repository and did a full upgrade and still does not work. It says Selected Scanner Failed.

Comment

I UPGRADED to BLACK LAB Linux and all is great!

Comment

hehe technically, you downgraded the software to 14.04 (as this is what BL is using)
                        Of course, if you like it, it is an upgrade to your experience

Distro hopping sure is fun, sometimes, that is for sure!

Comment

Working...
                        X