Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I save all installed software before upgrading w/ clean installation?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I said, you're way beyond me. I have only a vague idea of what you're talking about. You're comfortable with code; I'm a normal, retail user. I'd have to do a lot of learning to try what you're talking about, and that's quite unlikely.

Comment

I have never said you would need to do what I have done, these were ready-made snippets you could execute as-is. The whole idea of such a script is to make it user-friendly, but it remains a command-line script. If you are uncomfortable with the command line you should maybe have no place here, but it is not required of you to know how to write scripts yourself. If you can't understand my code that does not mean you don't know what I'm talking about so stop being such a crybaby and just listen. I was merely speaking of a way to manually retain lists of packages and changed configuration files that are meaningful to you. The scripts you need to work on them is not your concern. I've got that handled, if that's at all what I want to do. You asked for a way to obtain information, well the script is there and it is in a private Git repo at the moment, you can easily download it if I open it up. Nevertheless, if you are uncomfortable using command line "tar" (as an example) then maybe it is not for you. I was merely indicating a way to think of keeping a list of things you want to copy from one install to the next. If that's what you want then it's easy to get it. The solution advocated here (using muon package manager) is more of the same. Just clear that list of everything that's not meaningful to you and you're good to go. To me the hardest part is not installing new packages by hand but remembering everything that needs to be installed. That's why I like to make notes, you don't have to do the same. But getting a package list (including libraries) from one installation and applying it on a next is not the best approach, not even for you. I was just hinting at further approaches. No need to be so snide ;-). But if you seriously only have like 10 changes to apply (in terms of packages) then why the question? Was you merely intending to save configurations from graphical applications? It seems your workload in reinstalling is rather small so it is also a matter of interest to you.

Copying your entire home folder (including all the 'dot' files) would probably allow a number of your applications to retain their settings. NoWorries on this forum was testing what would happen if you installed Vivid on e.g. a 14.10 home directory but someone else saw configurations (e.g. Kate) get lost. All in all you're best off making a back-up but losing settings to graphical applications is just the nature of the beast.

You're probably best off just going ahead with it and seeing what works but I was merely hinting at something more. Opera's configuration is probably in ~/.opera and Chrome's in ~ /.chrome --- or am I being insultful now? In any case, good luck and enjoy your new system, if that's what you want. And pardon my language, I was meaning to say bitch ;-) .

Regards... ;-).

Comment

Working...
      X