This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

love kubuntu but

i love this OS but will have to go back to a old version of Xandros. Can't seem to get any help from here or any place else. I'm a user not a hacker. I think Linux is the way to go but it's to hard to configure when you don't know you way around and don't understand most of the how to's They aren't written in simlpe english.

Re: love kubuntu but

Sorry for the above post. I was about ready to quit, found I now have network up and running to some degree, don't know what I did.
    The only big thing is how to get a partition to mount. I'm afraid to experiment. It seems it wants to mount to a mount point that is use.

Comment

One of these should help:
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux.html
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thanks for the info. I get this when I sudo mount -a
        scott@scott-laptop:~$ sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_backup
        scott@scott-laptop:~$ sudo nano /etc/fstab
        scott@scott-laptop:~$ sudo mount -a
        mount: /dev/sda already mounted or <mount point> busy
        mount: /dev/hda5 already mounted or /storage busy
        mount: according to mtab, /dev/hda5 is mounted on /media/hda5
        scott@scott-laptop:~$
        How to do I make another mount point? or what can I do to change this?
        Thanks Scott

Comment

A 'mount point' is just a directory, for the sake of convention they live in /mnt or /media, as an example
          Code:
          $ sudo mkdir /mnt/camera
          would make a directory called camera in /mnt, then I could add
          Code:
           /dev/sda1   /mnt/camera    auto    noauto,user    0 0
          to my fstab. The fstab entry would allow a user (because of the 'user' keyword in the options column) to mount my camera when plugged in at the mount point /mnt/camera.

The command you used 'mount -a' means 'mount everything in fstab'. the lines
          Code:
          mount: /dev/hda5 already mounted or /storage busy
          mount: according to mtab, /dev/hda5 is mounted on /media/hda5
          is fine, it's just telling you it failed to mount /dev/hda5 because it's allready mounted. However the line
          Code:
          mount: /dev/sda already mounted or <mount point> busy
          makes me think you left the words '<mount point>' in your fstab file. <mount point> is supposed to be replaced with /mnt/camera or whatever you want the 'mount point' to be.

If you are apprehensive about messing with your fstab file (and believe me, at times you should be) without being too sure about what you are doing you can try the same commands out for yourself. Typing
          Code:
          sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt/camera/
          will do the same (until you reboot) as adding the line to fstab and typing 'mount -a', with the added bonus that if the device (the /dev/sda bit) or mount point is wrong you get an error straight away without having to edit files again to try a different one. The other bonus to this is once you get the right command, the line you do need to add to fstab to make it permanent is added to your /etc/mtab file, just
          Code:
          cat /etc/mtab
          and look for the line that corresponds to the command you just sucessfully used.

Comment

Thanks On a Roll: I found one i should have write more carefully. I'm strying to get /dev/hda4 to work not 5. Changed that, things still don't mount. It appears that I have 3 devices trying to mount to the same point. The other 2 are storage devices(usbs). I also found there is a folder in my home folder that is named <mounting> tried to edit it out but get the message that it isn't in modiifable mode. This seems to be the issue all along. I don't have a clue on how to fix this.
            Thanks Scott

Comment

Got my storage drive working, I hope it will stay this way. I was even able to share it with XP on vmware.
              Thanks to all who helped with this project.

scott

Comment

Working...
              X