X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eclipse crash on Compiler option

Dear all:

I am facing a problem with the Eclipse IDE. I am a newbie on it, so I am begining with the preferences setup. The thing is when I go to Windows/Preferences/Java/compiler the software crash and it closes automatically.

Can you tell me if this is a Kubuntu issue or an Eclipse issue?.

Details:
    Eclipse Version: 4.2 installed from tar package downloaded from eclipse official site.

Thank you in advance.

If you run eclipse from a konsole window, do you see any error messages related to this crash?

Is java properly installed?
    Code:
    java -version
    Code:
    javac -version
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

If you run eclipse from a konsole window, do you see any error messages related to this crash?
      When I write "eclipse" on the terminal it says: xabeclipse is not installed. I suppose that means the repository's version of eclipse is not installed. That's correct, because that version is not installed, I downloaded the last version from the official site, is that correct?
      By the way, let me tell you how I've installed the software. I extracted the tar file on opt folder and after that I've created a menu entry. Finally I can open the eclipse software from the main menu. Is it right?.
      Software runs 0K, but the problem is when I go to compiler option on the preferences.

Is java properly installed?
      output of java -version:
      java version "1.8.0_45"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b14)
      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.45-b02, mixed mode)

output of javac:
      javac 1.8.0_45

I think java is properly installed.

Comment

Originally posted by nicko02338 View Post
        When I write "eclipse" on the terminal it says: xabeclipse is not installed. I suppose that means the repository's version of eclipse is not installed. That's correct, because that version is not installed, I downloaded the last version from the official site, is that correct?
        By the way, let me tell you how I've installed the software. I extracted the tar file on opt folder and after that I've created a menu entry. Finally I can open the eclipse software from the main menu. Is it right?
        That's rather non-standard. Is there some reason you've taken this approach rather than simply installing Eclipse from the repository and letting it pull in all the dependencies it needs, including the default JRE/JDK?

Comment

Steve - I have always installed eclipse manually into /opt ... but I cannot now remember why.

Originally posted by nicko02338 View Post
          When I write "eclipse" on the terminal it says: xabeclipse is not installed. I suppose that means the repository's version of eclipse is not installed.
          I meant, whatever your path is to the eclipse executable (that you put into the menu entry), run that. E.g.
          Code:
          /opt/eclipse/eclipse
          in Konsole.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            That's rather non-standard. Is there some reason you've taken this approach rather than simply installing Eclipse from the repository and letting it pull in all the dependencies it needs, including the default JRE/JDK?
            Well, there is no important reason. I saw the repository's version doesn't upgrade to the last version of eclipse. Last version available on official site is 4.4 and at repository is 3.8. Finally, is a newbie decision .

Comment

Working...
            X