Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't get a command prompt. Trying to install on a new SSD. Tried DVD and USB. No success yet. I'm learning, but not very fast!
    Thanks.

Comment

I tried 3 different USB drives, (all 4GB) PNY, Kingston and SanDisk. I used the installer. No success yet.

Comment

you are not being descriptive enough ,,,,,,,have you gotten a USB to boot to the live environment yet ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Need Help installing kubuntu 14.10

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          you are not being descriptive enough ,,,,,,,have you gotten a USB to boot to the live environment yet ?

VINNY
          I do not know what LIVE ENVIRONMENT is. All I know is that I have a blue screen with a grey insert with "kubuntu 14.10" on the top, and wherever the curser is, it is two round balls circling one another. No keystrokes work, including the TAB.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            To create bootable media from ISOs in Windows, use Win32 Disk Imager. Most of the other tools don't properly create UFEI bootable drives.
            I went out and purchased 4 more 8GD USB flash drives, which were formatted NTFS and FAT32. Used the tool, burned images, tried 32 bit and 64 bit. No success. The processor will handle 64 bit, but was previously used with Windows XP, which crashed and died. New SSD and memory. Cannot get a prompt to install kubuntu, and cannot get a live environment.

Comment

It doesn't matter what partition arrangement or file system is on the drive, as Win32 Disk Imager writes the raw image directly to the drive. This image includes a partition table and file systems.

"No success" isn't very informative. Please explain, in detail, how you run the tool and then what happens after you boot from the USB.

Comment

When it is done loading, the pretty blue screen is all I see (mouse works). No keystrokes work. The only way out is the power button.

Comment

To take out any misunderstandings, can you (try to) boot up a USB with 14.04 or 15.04?

Comment

Tried both of those. Ended up installing Ubuntu (latest version, 64bit) with USB. Loaded and installed without a hitch. I guess I've given up on kubuntu. By the way, I tried Mint also, but it wouldn't load either.

Comment

Hmmmm

So now you can install Kubuntu on top of Ubuntu!

Comment

Is there any advantage? I'm pretty happy with Ubuntu 14.04.2

Comment

Shame the installer wouldn't load. I have ISO load issues too from time to time. Always think it's my computer... I would definitely suggest Kubuntu over Ubuntu because of the KDE environment. 14.10 has never let me down (well, not really). It seems to me your installer really *hung* while loading. That's unfortunate and not much what anyone can do about it really. I hope you will still find your luck here. If you saw the spinning balls then probably you did all things right.

Comment

Working...
                          X