Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My login screen is Ubuntu with bongo sounds and should be Kubuntu with my image.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My login screen is Ubuntu with bongo sounds and should be Kubuntu with my image.

After a HDD failure, I installed Kubuntu 14.04 on my laptop. Since then, when I boot or restart my laptop, the login screen appears with a very unattractive ubuntu theme, purple with pale purple dots; there is also an annoying three hits of a bongo drum for sound.

I attempted to change to my image as a jpg, png, and an xcf. After applying each of them I restarted and the selfsame irritating ubuntu login screen page re-appears. Every time I see it, it is like dragging my fingernails down a blackboard.

I would like to continue using (Light DM), but any kubuntu image would be preferable. Actually, I would prefer using my custom desktop background image, as I always have done in the past. It is important to remove the bongo sounds too. If I was on a plane and my computer made that sound, it would be embarrassing. Thanks!

Shab

To to System Settings/Login Screen (LightDM)/ and the Theme Tab. Click the Background image. Navigate to where the image is that you want to be the background and select it.

For the GRUB screen I use kde-config-grub2 along with grub2-splashimages. Not sure if these are part of the default installation. If they are, or you install them, go to System Settings/Startup and Shutdown/Grub2 Bootloader/Appearance Tab/ Select the Wallpaper and/or the Theme you wish to use on the GRUB screen.

Not sure where the sound is coming from as it does not play on my 14.04.2 system. I'd look in System Settings/Application and System Notifications/Manage Notifications/Event Source/ choose KDE Workspace and highlight Login and uncheck Play a sound. If this is not checked you'll have to hunt for other places that may be set to notify you during bootup.
    Last edited by luckyone; Apr 16, 2015, 01:41 PM.
    GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

As far as your first paragraph is concerned, that is what I have done in the past, but it no longer works. I can't even select the standard Kubuntu, gray choices.

I have unselected the splash screen. They no longer worked as before. I preferred the same screen as my normal desktop screen for a splash screen or none at all.

I am sure it is an Ubuntu sound. I have never heard it in Kubuntu. It is like 3 loud ra ps on a bongo drum, very annoying and tacky.

I have always held the artist who make the Ubuntu and Kubuntu start screens excellent, but this one is really terrible. I hate to say anything bad about another's work, but occasionally when the artwork is really unattractive, I make a comment. I have been a fine-artist all my life.

Additionally, I can't see the benefit of having a sound affect on that screen at all. Thanks for trying to help. You are the only one, and I appreciate it. We just did the same things. Cudos, friend. Shab

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
      To to System Settings/Login Screen (LightDM)/ and the Theme Tab. Click the Background image. Navigate to where the image is that you want to be the background and select it.

For the GRUB screen I use kde-config-grub2 along with grub2-splashimages. Not sure if these are part of the default installation. If they are, or you install them, go to System Settings/Startup and Shutdown/Grub2 Bootloader/Appearance Tab/ Select the Wallpaper and/or the Theme you wish to use on the GRUB screen.

Not sure where the sound is coming from as it does not play on my 14.04.2 system. I'd look in System Settings/Application and System Notifications/Manage Notifications/Event Source/ choose KDE Workspace and highlight Login and uncheck Play a sound. If this is not checked you'll have to hunt for other places that may be set to notify you during bootup.

Comment

lets see
        Code:
                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]dpkg -l | grep sddm && dpkg -l | grep lightdm && dpkg -l | grep gdm[/COLOR]

[/FONT]
        VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          lets see
          Code:
                  [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]dpkg -l | grep sddm && dpkg -l | grep lightdm && dpkg -l | grep gdm[/COLOR]

[/FONT]
          VINNY
          Vinny, your one-liner wouldn't work on my Kubuntu 14.04. It just prints nothing. I replaced the '&&' with ';' and it works. I always thought && (logical AND) and the semi-colon (command separator) worked the same way, but perhaps not.

dpkg -l | grep sddm; dpkg -l | grep lightdm; dpkg -l | grep gdm

I just tried this
          dpkg -l | grep sddm || dpkg -l | grep lightdm || dpkg -l | grep gdm
          and it worked too.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
            I always thought && (logical AND) and the semi-colon (command separator) worked the same way
            Nope. "&&" only runs the subsequent command(s) if the previous command was successful (exited with an exit status 0), so basically:

";" run commands subsequently regardless of exit status.
            "&&" run command if previous command exit status is 0
            "||" run command if previous command exit status is not 0

Comment

Thanks Kubicle. Nice explanation.

BTW, just to add to the info in this thread here is the output from Vinny's one-liner (modified) on my system:
              Code:
              rod@Core-i5:~$ dpkg -l | grep sddm; dpkg -l | grep lightdm; dpkg -l | grep gdm
              ii  liblightdm-gobject-1-0                      1.10.5-0ubuntu1                        amd64        LightDM GObject client library
              ii  liblightdm-qt-3-0                           1.10.5-0ubuntu1                        amd64        LightDM Qt client library
              ii  lightdm                                     1.10.5-0ubuntu1                        amd64        Display Manager
              ii  lightdm-kde-greeter                         0.3.2.2-0ubuntu1                       amd64        LightDM KDE greeter
              Now, we wait to see what is the output on Shabakthanai's system for comparison.
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ dpkg -l | grep sddm && dpkg -l | grep lightdm && dpkg -l | grep gdm
                steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$

I went to system settings and cleared my entry for login screen image. Re-applied my choice and "Applied" the entry, but the Login Screen remained the same as before. Thanks for the effort.

Comment

steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ dpkg -l | grep sddm && dpkg -l | grep lightdm && dpkg -l | grep gdm

Because there were multiple replies, I tried them one by one and tested the result of each; here is what I got on my shell after entering your code.

Currently after restart, the opening page does not return to the shell, it opens with a Mozilla warning relating to "Mixed Content". I haven't taken the time to find out what that is about yet.

lets see
                  Code:

[/FONT]
                  VINNY

Comment

steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ dpkg -l | grep sddm; dpkg -l | grep lightdm; dpkg -l | grep gdm
                    ii liblightdm-gobject-1-0 1.10.5-0ubuntu1 amd64 LightDM GObject client library
                    ii liblightdm-qt-3-0 1.10.5-0ubuntu1 amd64 LightDM Qt client library
                    ii lightdm 1.10.5-0ubuntu1 amd64 Display Manager
                    ii lightdm-kde-greeter 0.3.2.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 LightDM KDE greeter
                    steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ dpkg -l | grep sddm || dpkg -l | grep lightdm || dpkg -l | grep gdm
                    ii liblightdm-gobject-1-0 1.10.5-0ubuntu1 amd64 LightDM GObject client library
                    ii liblightdm-qt-3-0 1.10.5-0ubuntu1 amd64 LightDM Qt client library
                    ii lightdm 1.10.5-0ubuntu1 amd64 Display Manager
                    ii lightdm-kde-greeter 0.3.2.2-0ubuntu1 amd64 LightDM KDE greeter

I may be confused what is to be accomplished with this step of the repair, however I restarted to see if any changes had taken place in my Login Screen, after removing my Login choice and re-entering it again and clicking Apply. Nevertheless, the Login Screen remains with the Ubuntu screen w/sound effects.

Vinny, your one-liner wouldn't work on my Kubuntu 14.04. It just prints nothing. I replaced the '&&' with ';' and it works. I always thought && (logical AND) and the semi-colon (command separator) worked the same way, but perhaps not.

I just tried this
                    and it worked too.

Comment

I just tried this
                      and it worked too.
                      ya ,,,,,,,,egg on face

forgot you all do not have sddm and that it was going to drop out on a non completion ,,,,it was late ,,,and I tired ,,,and just typed something up to fast to see how many display managers were installed .

for me it gave
                      Code:
                              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ dpkg -l | grep sddm && dpkg -l | grep lightdm && dpkg -l | grep gdm [/COLOR]
                      ii  kde-config-[COLOR=#ff5454][B]sddm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]                               4:5.2.2-0ubuntu1                           amd64        KCM [/COLOR]
                      module for SDDM 
                      ii  [COLOR=#ff5454][B]sddm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]                                          0.11.0-0ubuntu10                           amd64        mode[/COLOR]
                      rn display manager for X11 
                      ii  [COLOR=#ff5454][B]sddm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-theme-breeze                             4:5.2.2-0ubuntu2                           amd64        Bree[/COLOR]
                      ze SDDM theme 
                      ii  lib[COLOR=#ff5454][B]lightdm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-gobject-1-0                        1.14.0-0ubuntu2                            amd64        Ligh[/COLOR]
                      tDM GObject client library 
                      ii  [COLOR=#ff5454][B]lightdm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]                                       1.14.0-0ubuntu2                            amd64        Disp[/COLOR]
                      lay Manager

[/FONT]
                      in my test ,,,,

do you have the location
                      /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo
                      on your system ?
                      if so the sound file you are looking for/hate should be in their as "desktop-login.ogg"
                      VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

This is the sound that plays when the Login Screen appears: file:///usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/dialog-question.ogg I do have the file you mentioned, but the one you mention makes a different sound.

ya ,,,,,,,,egg on face

forgot you all do not have sddm and that it was going to drop out on a non completion ,,,,it was late ,,,and I tired ,,,and just typed something up to fast to see how many display managers were installed .

for me it gave
                        Code:
                                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ dpkg -l | grep sddm && dpkg -l | grep lightdm && dpkg -l | grep gdm [/COLOR]
                        ii  kde-config-[COLOR=#ff5454][B]sddm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]                               4:5.2.2-0ubuntu1                           amd64        KCM [/COLOR]
                        module for SDDM 
                        ii  [COLOR=#ff5454][B]sddm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]                                          0.11.0-0ubuntu10                           amd64        mode[/COLOR]
                        rn display manager for X11 
                        ii  [COLOR=#ff5454][B]sddm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-theme-breeze                             4:5.2.2-0ubuntu2                           amd64        Bree[/COLOR]
                        ze SDDM theme 
                        ii  lib[COLOR=#ff5454][B]lightdm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]-gobject-1-0                        1.14.0-0ubuntu2                            amd64        Ligh[/COLOR]
                        tDM GObject client library 
                        ii  [COLOR=#ff5454][B]lightdm[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]                                       1.14.0-0ubuntu2                            amd64        Disp[/COLOR]
                        lay Manager

[/FONT]
                        in my test ,,,,

do you have the location on your system ?
                        if so the sound file you are looking for/hate should be in their as "desktop-login.ogg"
                        VINNY

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                          This is the sound that plays when the Login Screen appears: file:///usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/dialog-question.ogg I do have the file you mentioned, but the one you mention makes a different sound.
                          no the one you want to kill/rename ,,,,is usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/desktop-login.ogg

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

Is there a way to locate the name of the Login Screen Background that appears on my laptop? The colors are similar to the file:///usr/share/backgrounds/warty-final-ubuntu.png,, coloring the same, however the image that shows on my screen has small dots covering the Warty-final-ubuntu.png with dialog-question.ogg for sound.

Comment

I renamed it desktop-loginold.ogg, but the sound that file makes is not the one that I hear when the Login Screen appears. I will restart and give it a listen.

no the one you want to kill/rename ,,,,is usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/desktop-login.ogg

VINNY

Comment

Working...
                              X