Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma 5 upgrade now or wait to final release?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 5 upgrade now or wait to final release?

I am running 14.10. Is it best to wait to the final release or is it safe to do an in place upgrade now? If now, can someone explain the upgrade procedure?

Thanks for the help.

it is usually best to wate for release ,,,,,,,,and their is allways the possibility of a borked system after the procedure , at least 1 other user at this forum is experiencing problems from it.

if you can I would do a clean install.

that sead if you want to try it , first disable any third party PPA's you may have ,,,, then get 14.10 fully up to date
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    after this completes and possibly a reboot do
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    and follow the prompts.

good luck

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

From the last beta announcement, which leads to the instructions here:
      https://wiki.kubuntu.org/VividVervet/Beta2/Kubuntu

Code:
      kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade
      Is the correct command to use, though I don't know if there is a real difference from what vinnie mentioned.

The upgrade tool will automatically disable any ppas during the process.

At this point, it is pretty safe to try an upgrade, but it is so close to release that it might be better to wait, depending on your own needs

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        From the last beta announcement, which leads to the instructions here:
        https://wiki.kubuntu.org/VividVervet/Beta2/Kubuntu

Code:
        kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade
        Is the correct command to use, though I don't know if there is a real difference from what vinnie mentioned.

The upgrade tool will automatically disable any ppas during the process.

At this point, it is pretty safe to try an upgrade, but it is so close to release that it might be better to wait, depending on your own needs
        dam those dev-devels changing things all the time ,,,,,,,,,my 14.10 is already mucked up with the plasma5 stuff you could add at one time ,,,,,(kf5-ppa's)
        just for the heck of it I am going to try the do-release-upgrade -d on it and see how it brakes and crumbles before my eyes

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          dam those dev-devels changing things all the time ,,,,,,,,,my 14.10 is already mucked up with the plasma5 stuff you could add at one time ,,,,,(kf5-ppa's)
          just for the heck of it I am going to try the do-release-upgrade -d on it and see how it brakes and crumbles before my eyes

VINNY
          They both might call the same things, but the command has been around for a while.

I did the upgrade from my 14.10 with plasma 5 to vivid. It works just fine, but at the time there were a decent number of packages from the Next ppa that did not get upgraded due to versioning issues, and blocked updates. I had to find which ones they were, uninstall them (along with whatever apt wanted to remove with them), and then reinstall the correct ones. All the packages have "14.10" in the name, so the error messages made it pretty easy to do, just tedious. You may not have as much to worry about if many of the packages are able to supercede the leftover ppa ones with newer versions. I did mine right after the Next ppas went kaboom, and the versioning was much more similar then than now.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            They both might call the same things, but the command has been around for a while.

I did the upgrade from my 14.10 with plasma 5 to vivid. It works just fine, but at the time there were a decent number of packages from the Next ppa that did not get upgraded due to versioning issues, and blocked updates. I had to find which ones they were, uninstall them (along with whatever apt wanted to remove with them), and then reinstall the correct ones. All the packages have "14.10" in the name, so the error messages made it pretty easy to do, just tedious. You may not have as much to worry about if many of the packages are able to supercede the leftover ppa ones with newer versions. I did mine right after the Next ppas went kaboom, and the versioning was much more similar then than now.
            ya I have not been in my 14.10 in a month or so ........so it is all old stuff just after adding the next/kf5-PPA

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

just did the sudo "do-release-upgrade -d" on the 14.10/next-updates-PPA install ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1753 packages upgraded/installed 1.1GB worth of it ..........all looks good so far , posting from it now

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
              X