This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoPro Black 3 software update manually using Chromium

The GoPro Black 3 (Not 3+) has gone trough some updates to the firmware and the wifi over the last year.

The newer GoPros will update through an app but it requires Windblows or a Mac and the windblows version does not seem to work with WINE.

I have always had to "manually" update, which merely requires following some very clear steps that are outlined at the GoPro site, but uses Windows parlance.

The big difference with the last update is that it would not download through Firefox. The download function just sat and spun.

There is a caveat about that on the website and the use of Google Chrome is recommended.

I installed Chromium using Synaptic, went through the steps again and the download was immediately signaled at the bottom of Chromium.

A sidenote:

I use an Android phone to control the camera while producing video lectures for the college. Whereas the few other profs who use Camtasia sit in their office I go out to the creek or a worksite, etc. and the whole system just works great.

There was a third party app that actually worked better than the GoPro app but the last update to that app creates a situation where it "finds" the camera but then complains that there is not a good WiFi signal, and recommends an upgrade to the paid app for supposedly some kind of one on one support.

However............the actual GoPro app has been regularly updated and works fine with the camera. The only real problem is if it sees another wifi such as the router wifi and gets mixed up,

Using it outside works just fine.

After the last camera update it required starting and stopping the camera and making a second attempt to find the camera with the phone but it does work fine.

If anyone has questions please ask, but I am not familiar with newer versions of the camera.

woodsmoke
Working...
X