Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After new install of Kubuntu 14.04, OS opens but apps freeze.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After new install of Kubuntu 14.04, OS opens but apps freeze.

When I open Kubuntu 14.04, on screen widgets seem to work fine, network monitor shows up/down speeds, time is kept accurately, and weather seems to be accurate, however if I select and click on an Icon, like Kmenu, for instance, the signal sent from the mouse does not open Kmenu. It is like the system is frozen.

I checked another working mouse, and the mouses seem to be working fine.

I reset the BIOS to default settings to see if that may correct the problem without success.

I recently added an additional 16GB of memory. On the fifth pass of a memory test, 26 errors showed up, so I removed the new memory and arranged for an RMA.

After a couple of days using my computer with the original 16GB of memory, the system seemed to stabilize and worked normally.

I received an email giving me instructions from GSkill relating to the RMA of memory and while this email was in the process of opening, the system froze again, just like before I took out the new memory.

There is a time limit for the RMA to proceed, and I am unable to contact GSkill using email or print the RMA information for return shipping. I am very concerned. I now worry that perhaps my original 2 year old memory contained the errors and the return will be rejected.

I am unsure what I should do about the memory problem or what the cure for my freeze problem might be.

I have a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard and wonder if the problem might be in the motherboard. It is probably a foolish question, but I have little experience with the problem I am having and haven't found any information to explain it.

My memory is 32GB GSkill Ares 1866 DDR3 SDRAM. My processor is an AMD 8-core @ 4.3Mhz. I am unfamiliar how the problem might be created by any of them.

Yesterday, about 5PM I opened my computer using my Kubuntu 14.04 Live USB. I restarted the computer several times to see if I would experience the same problems when using the Live USB. None of the symptons appeard while running the system using my Live USB, so I suspect the hardware of my system is more or less OK excepting perhaps a stick of memory, which needs to be isolated.

I ran the system all night, and it is currently still running. When I attempt to open applications, they open fine. When I attempt to follow a link, the link transfers properly, so for 16 consecutive hours, the computer has seemed to operate normally without freezing.

The Live USB is the same USB I used to install the OS that has the problems.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms? Did you find how to repair the problem? If you had to re-install the OS, did you download a different issue, if using the same version? Was re-installaagion the solution? Or, did you find some kind of equipment failure that provided the solution? Thanks for any reply.

As those of you who are the most adept with computers may know, I am not that good with computers. I am concerned I may lose my warantee benefits with the memory and am not sure how I should have tested the memory. Now when time is short for return of memory, I am wondering if I should check a stick at a time. It took 11 hours when I tested all 32GB, Checking each stick would perhaps take 44 hours. Is this recommended? Thanks!

I recently added an additional 16GB of memory. On the fifth pass of a memory test, 26 errors showed up, so I removed the new memory and arranged for an RMA.
    Running Memtest ... that right there would alert me to fully check out my memory sticks. Your symptoms are symptoms consistent with bad memory (as well as other things -- motherboard I/O issues (capacitors, cracked MB circuits, etc.)). But reasonably speaking, new memory + bad test => check it out further.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Dear Qqmike,

You are correct about the memory problem. I finally got in touch with GSkill, and I am sending them all 32GB of memory. They, in turn, are going to send me 4 matched memory sticks to resolve all memory issues. These guys are great. I believe their's is a quality product backed by excellent help when and if there is a problem.

The more I read about them and their policies, the greater my confidence in their products.

Kubuntu is outdoing itself again. With no help on my part, Kubuntu installed drivers so that I have hard-wire ethernet connection to the Internet again. Wow, the clouds are turning to sunshine.

I guess it's time to mark this post as solved. Thanks friend

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      Running Memtest ... that right there would alert me to fully check out my memory sticks. Your symptoms are symptoms consistent with bad memory (as well as other things -- motherboard I/O issues (capacitors, cracked MB circuits, etc.)). But reasonably speaking, new memory + bad test => check it out further.

Comment

Working...
      X