This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else have this problem?

Every time I enter an application, I have to squint and lean forward with extreme eye strain to read the default anything. Sometimes Ctrl +/- works some times it doesn't. Sometimes you are stuck trying to read print where there isn't an adjustment for the print size.

When that happens, sometimes I have to stop and let my eyes rest before I continue. Straining to see what is written, with letters that blur and cannot be easily focused doesn't seem necessary, when so many applications permit default minimum font size as a configurable selection.

I would like to know what would be wrong if a person could easily read 8 point print but preferred 16 point as the minimum font size for his 27" monitor. That is what I set my minimum font size when configuring Application Appearance in Kubuntu 14.04.

Yes, I can read using 12 point configuration, but it is not comfortable for me like when the settings are much larger. The difficulty is so great, when I am reading 8 point or smaller type that I get headaches and have to stop reading.

I guess it would be acceptable, if it was within the law and necessary, but still it seems unfair for someone like me to have to press the zoom in feature 5 or 6 times each time I change pages just to be able to read a document, web page, or application form, and have to do this almost every time I click on a link.

The men in my family, before my father, lived a maximum of 47 years. My father lived to 53. The trend is to live longer, not necessarily in perfect health, just longer. My generation is proof in my family, because I am 72 and still kicking.

So you see, the percentage of older folks is increasing who have ageing infirmities. For me, apparently, it is my vision. However when it is so easy to make default font size minimums for applications, why do we not do so?

I wanted to install another operating system in my computer. I used PartedMagic to set the partitions. I did not finish and will have to return to finish the job, because one of the best partition managers available has a fixed font size of about 5 to 8 point. I cannot tell, I can only say that every letter and number is still blurry when I am filling in the numbers and instructions for my partition structure, and I have moved forward and back from the screen to find the optimal clarity.

I have to tell you, anyone with the genius to make such a wonderful program, is surely intelligent enough to answer my vision requirements. In any event, I can't wait for him or her to reach their 72nd, so they can appreciate my experience.

Anyone who designs a browser that adjusts to the needs of the users will corner the user market. Is there any reason that a web page shouldn't fill the size of the users screen, adjusting font size to meet the requirement.

Anyone who designs an operating system that makes similar adjustments in their program to ensure that screen space is not wasted will also experience greater success.

I can assure you that if people had to Ctrl - to decrease their font size from full screen enjoyment, you would never see things written like this. And if the font size was unpleasantly large and they did not have the ability to reduce it, just how many would have to stop to rest their eyes? You could count them on no fingers.

If I had the skills and abilities of the programmers who provide these wonderful applications, I would be among the most prosperous. The reason is simple. I would take into consideration the needs and desires of the people who used my skills.

You know who you are, that can create such a programming benefit. Go get em bud. It will make you rich. If you don't care about money, it will make you famous. If you prefer not having fame, it will make you proud. If you don't like pride, it will make you happy, and that's not a bad deal.

If it's every application, then you should probably be looking at a system-wide change. And the system-wide change that I think is most appropriate is the display dots-per-inch (dpi) setting. This is there to compensate for higher and higher resolution displays.

Open System Settings from the menus. In the System Settings window, open "Application Appearance". Click "Fonts" in the left-hand panel. In the right-hand panel, check "Force fonts DPI" and increase the value using the up/down arrows - it will probably be on 96; 120 is the next value I get.

Then you will need to restart applications.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Shabakthanai:

I agree with your sentiment on font size. We are of similar age. Adding to the problem are pages which use a font color of "light grey" (example in point) on either white or black background and my eyes just fail. So I avoid some sites, those who try to pack too much text into a screen, just because they have their own screens set to very high resolution.

I use a 17 inch monitor, capable of 1280x1024 and still only use 1024x768 for page layout. I do ask my clients to evaluate my draft layouts for read-ability considering that some of Their clients will have eyes like mine...

Some clients have stated (three of them to-date) that they never thought of how other people (their customers) see their site's font size/color combinations. They were CEOs and CIOs who, of course, have that big 24 inch monitor in their office. They were (all three who volunteered an opinion) less than 40 years old with eyes better than mine. I think the mere fact that I asked their opinion was a factor in keeping their business.

Let's hope that browser developers hear this need and allow configuration to globally override the font size set by the site designer.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. My post has not generated any interest.

I add Facebook to your Google comment. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't created by some government spook organization.

There are application within Kubuntu that fall in the same category. I don't understand it at all. You would think that perhaps the most configurable Operating System on the planet would have self-determining defaults and configuration capabilities as a standard for all their basic programs.

Dolphin @ root level, Kmail, when using certain features, I can't think of them all right now, and then there is Unetbootin, an application I would very much like to try, because of the ability to make ISO's out of other than OS's. I can't read a single word in their application. A hand-held magnifying glass works, but the all-screen magnifier that Kubuntu offers drives me nuts, with the screen movement following mouse movement, if makes me dizzy. The hand-held magnifier makes use of the application awkward and difficult too.

I realize we are not expected to last a lot longer, but as medicines improve, people are living longer - a lot longer. The numbers of older people using computers will most likely increase accordingly. It only makes sense that the people affected by the problem most, be considered too when considering visual comfort.

Oh, isn't it strange; with demand lowering the cost of larger monitors, most websites only use letter width areas of screen for their data. I have to enter Crrl+ about 6 times to fill the screen. Then the print size is much more comfortable to read too. I guess you have to need the feature to have it make sense.

Well, it has been an interesting exchange. If I had the ability to do something to affect change, I certainly would. Guess we will have to wait for more of those who are yet unaffected to care.

Shab

It sounds like you are still working. I wish I could. The ageing qualities that affect me most make it impossible to work any more, however I do love my computer time. Memory problems has made doing useful work from my computer impractical as well. And the constant struggle to read and understand on screen is also a major deterrent to being productive at work.

Since so many applications handle this problem so well, it only makes sense that minimum defaults be available to all.

It is kind of a freedom issue if you think about it. The rest of the viewing world is able to set the font, font size, color, intensity of print, etc. for most everything, as well as, standards for most other configurable features are naturally configured for the mid-ground of physical abilities.

Oh well, I am grateful for long life and probably should keep to myself; it just would be nice to limit the loss factors when getting older. Nonetheless, I am not giving up on anything. Who knows, I may live a lot longer. If enough of us do, it would surprise me if the issue were not attended.

Long and healthy life, friend.

Shab

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        Shabakthanai:

I agree with your sentiment on font size. We are of similar age. Adding to the problem are pages which use a font color of "light grey" (example in point) on either white or black background and my eyes just fail. So I avoid some sites, those who try to pack too much text into a screen, just because they have their own screens set to very high resolution.

I use a 17 inch monitor, capable of 1280x1024 and still only use 1024x768 for page layout. I do ask my clients to evaluate my draft layouts for read-ability considering that some of Their clients will have eyes like mine...

Some clients have stated (three of them to-date) that they never thought of how other people (their customers) see their site's font size/color combinations. They were CEOs and CIOs who, of course, have that big 24 inch monitor in their office. They were (all three who volunteered an opinion) less than 40 years old with eyes better than mine. I think the mere fact that I asked their opinion was a factor in keeping their business.

Let's hope that browser developers hear this need and allow configuration to globally override the font size set by the site designer.

Comment

Working...
        X