Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With 'Ark' what do you do after you click on 'Extract'?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 'Ark' what do you do after you click on 'Extract'?

For years I have tried to learn to use this application. If it is an installation program to finish installing a download, after you have opened the file, how do you get the contents installed so that the program functions. I never have been able to figure out where the data goes or how to proceed so that you can use the program. When I have clicked on Extract, I then spend a few hours trying to find out how to continue; in the end, I give up and try to forget about the program I wanted.

Muon, Synaptic, Gdebi, Apt, there are so many that don't require the same kind of knowledge, why are they used most of the time while Ark is not often used? It is not fun being made to feel foolish; I think I should just photograph myself with a . It is no fun to feel inferior All the time. Thanks to anyone who will put some light in this dark dark space.

Ark is an archive application like winrar or zip ,,,,,,, it dose not actually install programs

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks, then where can I find the open packages and what do I do to install them? I clicked on Extract.
      Do I install them using a Package Manager? Do I use the Command Line? I have tried to find them, but I don't know where to look.

I can see I have misunderstood what Ark is and does. I never considered it being like a zip program. I can find three packages by returning to the previous Ark Extract, but I cannot see a path or address for them. It is very confusing. Is there a way to use Aconadi to find them? Since installing programs has been done for us, Is there the equivalent of an .exe that we would open, or how does the installation begin? Thanks Vinny, At least a little light, enough to see shadows. By the way, I tried the command: sudo apt-get install chrome, but the computer did not recognize it. Sorry to be such a I did that after I extracted the compressed file. I thought it might be visible to the computer then.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      Ark is an archive application like winrar or zip ,,,,,,, it dose not actually install programs

VINNY

Comment

An installer program may be a .deb file, and double-clicking on it will "start" it (an installer).

https://userbase.kde.org/Ark
        https://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdeutils/ark/ark.pdf

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/d...gtools.en.html
        http://askubuntu.com/questions/40779...e-command-line
        http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...kg-i-or-by-apt

I think we are not sure what exactly you are seeing and what you are trying to do. To install programs, don't you use Muon Package Manager (not Muon Discoverer)? Or, by command line sudo apt-get install <package_name>?
        Last edited by Qqmike; Apr 02, 2015, 06:46 AM.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Depending on what you downloaded, and from where, it most likely is the raw source code, and that needs to be compiled and all that. This can be quite involved, frustrating, and requires troubleshooting, even incantations to get it to work.

Sometimes there may be a script that will install things, if it does not need to be compiled. They usually will be a text file in there with install instructions, usually in the READ ME or INSTALL file.

But to be honest, 97 percent of the software most people need is in the repos, or a ppa. If it is not, then it is likely ether to old and no longer developed, or has so few users that no one has stepped up to package it for Ubuntu (or Debian, which a lot a lot of our packages are based on)

Your best bet is to point us to what you have downloaded, and it should be quick for us to determine how to install it, and if it is worth the effort.

Comment

I am sorry to be such a pain, Claydoh,

I just downloaded it again. I would like to add that the button I used was "Download and Install". Because Vinny got me to understand something I did not know, I made a Folder in /home/steven/Downloads/Chrome; currently in that folder is the following:

control.tar.gz
            data.tar.gz
            debian binary

When I Extracted them, didn't I open them?

I even tried to install a small OS just to put Chrome in, but the ones I tried involved using Ark, so I gave up on them too. I selected the Google Debian application. How do I finally get a .deb to install?

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Depending on what you downloadedChrome, and from whereGoogle Chrome Debian download site, it most likely is the raw source code, and that needs to be compiledwell beyond me and all that. This can be quite involved, frustrating, and requires troubleshooting, even incantations to get it to work.

Sometimes there may be a scriptIs the script something that is provided, or does it have to be written by me? that will install things, if it does not need to be compiled. They usually will be a textdoesn't the compressed file have to be opened to read a text file? file in there with install instructions, usually in the READ ME or INSTALL file.

But to be honest, 97 percent of the software most people need is in the repos, or a ppa. If it is not, then it is likely ether to old and no longer developed, or has so few users that no one has stepped up to package it for Ubuntu (or Debian, which a lot a lot of our packages are based on)

Your best bet is to point us to what you have downloaded, and it should be quick for us to determine how to install it, and if it is worth the effort.
            You guys are unbelievably patient with me, thanks

Comment

So you want to install Google Chrome, and you downloaded it from here:
              https://www.google.com/chrome/browse...top/index.html
              You clicked the "download chrome" button, and got to a page that looks like this:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	642809
              Then you selected the " 64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)", and it downloaded.

This should not open using Ark, normally, though is is able to.

What you have, based on the contents of the file you posted
              control.tar.gz
              data.tar.gz
              debian binary
              means you downloaded a debian package, probably named google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb, correct? It will have the .deb file extension. These are the type of files that Muon/Synaptic, etc download and install from the Ubuntu repos.

You do not extract these files, even though Ark can open them, You should just be able to double-click it, and a little installer app will pop open and do its thing. It will prompt you if it needs to install other packages (I think chrome does ask for one or 2), and also ask for your password. It is all a mini version of Muon that just installs individually (and manually) downloaded packages when this fairly rare situation pops up.

In the case of chrome, it also adds a repository to your system so that the browser is kept up to date just like anything installed using Muon. This will not always be true for manually downloaded deb files.

You found a useful portion of the 3% that is not available using Muon
              And you can basically ignore just about all the things we mentioned in our earlier posts.

Just double-click the file, that's it .

Comment

And you can basically ignore just about all the things we mentioned in our earlier posts.
                "We"? you got a frog in your pocket claydoh?

Qqmike:
                An installer program may be a .deb file, and double-clicking on it will "start" it (an installer).
                Ya know, guys, the few times I hit the mark--or some close--do deserve some notice, however casual.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I guess "just about all" wasn't good enough

Sorry bout that

Comment

Well, you got me on a technicality, "just about all" covers it, my mistake; that's what lawyers get paid for, ya know.

Comment

cya, all cya

Comment

yep!

Comment

so to recap ,,,,,,,I know we have given you to much to digest ,,,,,,,,,,,,,find the "google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb" you downloaded .

double click it and Qapt should open and install it ,,,,,,,,or right click it and "open with" Qapt.

you can delete those other 3 files that you extracted from the .deb ,,,,,,,,,,IE: the control.tar.gz data.tar.xz debian-binary

VINNY

Qapt is the program to install downloaded .deb's
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The source of the confusion is Firefox. That program asks if you want to open a deb file with Ark. As the previous, knowledgeable posters said, you shouldn't do that. You should chose to save the file in your download map and than double click it. That will fire up the installer.

rjj

"a little mustard after the meal"

Comment

Thanks friend

Comment

Working...
                              X