This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    When you run a file from the command line like that you need to precede it with a dot-slash or a directory. This tells the system you're not trying to execute a built-in function or program.
    Ooops! I slipped up there ... I forgot that little detail.

I also agree with oshunluvr regarding Lexmark support for Linux. It's minimal. As I said before I had a lot of trouble getting my old Lexmark printer working in Linux. I've found my current Brother printer much more straightforward to get working well in Kubuntu.
    Last edited by Rod J; Apr 03, 2015, 10:55 PM.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
      Btw, you shouldn't start programs like konsole with "$ sudo konsole"; use "$ kdesudo konsole".
      Both work.

What is the difference between the two?

What is the problem with the former?
      kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
        Ooops! I slipped up there ... I forgot that little detail.

I also agree with oshunluvr regarding Lexmark support for Linux. It's minimal. As I said before I had a lot of trouble getting my old Lexmark printer working in Linux. I've found my current Brother printer much more straightforward to get working well in Kubuntu.
        I will try a few other drivers.

There is nothing lost.

Although I am not optimistic

Comment

re: sudo v kdesudo:

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
          Both work.

What is the difference between the two?

What is the problem with the former?
          I found a good answer here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/42562...ir-differences --

"You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as Root.You should use
          gksudo (kdesudo on Kubuntu) to run such programs. gksudo sets HOME=~root, and copies
          .Xauthority to a tmp directory. This prevents files in your home directory becoming
          owned by Root. (AFAICT, this is all that's special about the environment of the started
          process with gksudo vs. sudo)."

The key thing is that if the command you are wanting to run is a terminal type application without a gui interface use sudo otherwise use kdesudo.
          Last edited by Rod J; Apr 04, 2015, 12:18 AM.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
            re: sudo v kdesudo:

I found a good answer here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/42562...ir-differences --

"You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as Root.You should use
            gksudo (kdesudo on Kubuntu) to run such programs. gksudo sets HOME=~root, and copies
            .Xauthority to a tmp directory. This prevents files in your home directory becoming
            owned by Root. (AFAICT, this is all that's special about the environment of the started
            process with gksudo vs. sudo)."

The key thing is that if the command you are wanting to run is a terminal type application without a gui interface use sudo otherwise use kdesudo.
            Hi,

Thank you for the link, and the research.

If I download a file that needs to be installed, how would I know if it has gui installation interface or a terminal interface?

I note that I have a number of empty folders (lua_ type) in my Home directory after attempting to install the printer driver. I assume that I can simply delete these folders.

I wonder if there is an such programme as a universal printer driver that runs under Linux. If it just prints text that would be something.

While I am here, do you the relationship between Debian and kubuntu?

Best wishes.

Thanks for sticking with this thread.

PS. People on other boards have also had a lot of trouble running drivers and Lexmark printers under Linux.
            PPS. Can installed printer drivers be easily uninstalled if found not to work

Comment

My replies are in bold

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
              Hi,

Thank you for the link, and the research.

If I download a file that needs to be installed, how would I know if it has gui installation interface or a terminal interface?
              Well, I really don't know of any easy way to tell that. Perhaps try running the file in a terminal as a normal user first (not sudo/kdesudo) ... and see what happens.

I note that I have a number of empty folders (lua_ type) in my Home directory after attempting to install the printer driver. I assume that I can simply delete these folders.
              If you are fairly certain that the failed printer install created them it should be OK to delete them.

I wonder if there is an such programme as a universal printer driver that runs under Linux. If it just prints text that would be something.
              I don't think there is anything like that.

While I am here, do you the relationship between Debian and kubuntu?
              Basically: Debian --> Ubuntu --> Kubuntu. This is a wikipedia page that might help you see the relationships of various Linux distros (very many of them)
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._distributions

Best wishes.

Thanks for sticking with this thread.

PS. People on other boards have also had a lot of trouble running drivers and Lexmark printers under Linux.
              Probably.
              Last edited by Rod J; Apr 04, 2015, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Probably.

If I try an installed driver and then remove it, I assume that it (the driver) will remain installed on the pc, and could, in fact, be re-installed. Am I correct?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X