This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempting partitions of new install of Kubuntu 14.04_2 and can't resize

Apparently Kubuntu has changed the partition process. I want to install Kubuntu 14.04_2 fresh. It is currently installed using the entire HDD. When I attempt to install 'Manual' I select the location where the partition for the current installation is located and select change. Then a window opens to use that partition, however there is no method to resize the partition. I am not preserving data, so how do I proceed?

Currently the drive is 750GB. I want to make it 10GB for Kubuntu 14.04_2, 2GB for swap, and 350GB for /home with everything except swap designated with the ext4 file system. I want the balance of the drive to remain empty for the installation of another Operating System. It also will be debian with an ext4 file system.

The only selection that offers the ability to resize a partition is the one that contains GRUB, and it is only 200MB. Additionally it does not permitting increasing the size of that partition.

Here is what the drive currently looks like prior to installation:

Manual

DEVICE TYPE MOUNT POINT FORMAT SIZE USED

/dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-root
    /dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-root ext4 743562MB UNKNOWN
    /dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-swap_1 6333MB UNKNOWN
    /dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-swap_1 ext2 254MB 53MB
    /dev/sda5 749898MB UNKNOWN

I have only installed where the choices were /dev/sda, sdc, sdd, sde, etc.; the new setup confuses me. When I googled how to reset the sizes for partitions, I did not get any useable response.

I am installing Kubuntu 14.04_2 on a laptop and want the '/' partition to contain 10GB, the 'swap' partition to contain 2GB, the '/home' partition to contain 350GB. The balance of the space I want to reserve for the installation of Elementary OS. When I install Elementary OS, I will use 10GB for '/' again, and the balance for /home. I understand the /swap partition that is already created in the Kubuntu installation will serve the Elementary OS as well. If not, I will make an additional swap partition. In the end, it will be a dual-boot at completion.

If this is sound thinking and can it be accomplished, please confirm.

Thanks!

Partitioning, formatting, re-sizing partitions: Many of us here are of the opinion you should do this as a step separate from installing Kubuntu, do it before running the Kubuntu installer, and usually, many of us use this:

GParted Live CD (or USB)
    http://gparted.org/livecd.php

It's easy, safe, effective, clean.

Then when you run the Kubuntu installer, and select Manual, you will see the partitions exactly as you want them. Just click on them, selecting what they are to be used for: /, /home, swap, etc.
    Opinion: Do not allow the Kubuntu installer to (re-)format any of your already formatted partitions (that you had set up using GParted Live CD).
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks QMike,

That was the way I like things explained. I was in the process of doing just that, but accidently ran my desk-chair over my Gparted CD. When I tried to download and install it, I notice another forum friend advising using Partition Magic, and thought I would try that.

When I attempted the download, I also though I would put it on a Live USB. The Kubuntu Start up Disk Creator seemed appropriate for that, but wouldn't recognize Partition Magic, only OS's. When I tried to install Partition Magic using Unetbootin, I couldn't read the print, it is too small.

So I then tried using the installer that comes with Kubuntu ISO. It is a whole new thing containing wording like /mapper and --vg with no ability I could find to create partitions or divide the HDD. That is why I ended up on my reliable forum, where people know what they are doing. Anyway, I guess I will put Gparted on a CD and make the appropriate partitioning, then use my USB ISO to install when completed.

I don't know what I would do without you guys, You are always keeping my fanny out of the fire. Cudos, friend. I'm out to download Gparted and then take your kind advice.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      Partitioning, formatting, re-sizing partitions: Many of us here are of the opinion you should do this as a step separate from installing Kubuntu, do it before running the Kubuntu installer, and usually, many of us use this:

GParted Live CD (or USB)
      http://gparted.org/livecd.php

It's easy, safe, effective, clean.

Then when you run the Kubuntu installer, and select Manual, you will see the partitions exactly as you want them. Just click on them, selecting what they are to be used for: /, /home, swap, etc.
      Opinion: Do not allow the Kubuntu installer to (re-)format any of your already formatted partitions (that you had set up using GParted Live CD).
      I downloade Gparted and opened the applications. Here is what it said:

Partition .....File System.....Mount Point........Size.............Used...........Unuse d........Flag

/dev/sda1..........ext2................................ 243.00MiB.....50.83MiB.....192.19MiB.....Boot
      /dev/sda2......extended.............................698 .40GiB..........---..................----.................
      /dev/sda5...lvm2 pv........kubuntu vg........698.40GiB....698.40GiB.............0.00B lvm....

Absolutely nothing was permitted to be resized, so I could not make partitions. Not knowing what would happen, I did not delete them all, but if that would allow me a starting point where I can set Primary and Extended partitions for two operating systems and an appropriate swap container, there is no data that is important. I just don't know how to remove all data and format the new partitilns. I fear that deleting them all may render the HDD lost. And I have never heard of lvm2 pv and kubuntu vg. Is this new technology or stuff I have het been exposed. Thanks for the help! Obviously it is the blind leading the blind here. Bet you didn't know that there was anyone who knows less than I I am tryiing to help a friends daughter. HaH!
      Last edited by Shabakthanai; Mar 29, 2015, 07:31 PM. Reason: More necessary info before reply.

Comment

I think you better keep that sda1 partition; I'm not sure what's on it, looks like it could be an ESP partition used if the machine boots by UEFI (except it is formatted ext2, whereas the ESP is usually formatted FAT32, AFAIK).

Anyway, deleting unneeded partitions with unneeded data is easy, as is expanding partitions or decreasing them. Best way to get into this is simply ...

GParted Manual
        http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=help-manual

(also, how to use the GParted CD, but don't get too hung up on this guide:
        http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?n...ed-live-manual )

(I didn't see that you had added to your post.)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Dear Qqmike,

I am going to comment between your individual instructions below.

I think you better keep that sda1 partition; I'm not sure what's on it, looks like it could be an ESP partition used if the machine boots by UEFI (except it is formatted ext2, whereas the ESP is usually formatted FAT32, AFAIK).

Anyway, deleting unneeded partitions with unneeded data is easy, as is expanding partitions or decreasing them. Best way to get into this is simply ... Can you explain how to delete all partitions that are mentioned above in my previous reply? I will never be able to read that much information anymore, as is in the manual, and retain the parts that are relevant to my need.

By the time I have read a paragraph which contains more information that my needed information, my mind begins to crash. Just before my bold print comment, starting with 'Anyway,.......and ending with simply...' is exactly what I need to know.

I am very old for my age, 72, and holding on to focus is a labor for me. I am no longer able to read a manual to get the answer for my question. They provide too much information about stuff that does not relate to my need and I become overcome with trying to filter out the things that are not relevant to my specific need. My mind just crashes, leaving me feeling stupid and incapable of doing simple things. It appears very difficult for younger people to understand what we go through, but from the time it takes me to go to the kitchen to get a drink of water, I get distracted by the things in my environment and when I get to the kitchen, I can't remember why I am there, So, I make a sandwitch and return.

A few minutes later I am thirsty again and go get another sandwitch. That is what happens when I read the manual. I crave your understanding, because if you can, you may be able to help me in a way I can succeed. I just love computing; it is about the only thing left for me; I don't want to have to quit yet.

You will never appreciate my gratitude, unless you are burdened with similar experience when you are my age, for helping me the way I need help. Believe me, I think I am doing as you say, while failing, and know it is just my inability to follow detailed instructions anymore.

You saw the content of my drive; how do I format out everything, then how do I manipulate the empty space into partitions? I remember that being easy a few years ago.

GParted Manual
          http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=help-manual

(also, how to use the GParted CD, but don't get too hung up on this guide:
          http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?n...ed-live-manual )

(I didn't see that you had added to your post.)
          That is a good example of what I am trying to explain. I have to edit almost every post I make, because I will forget to mention something (on the way to the kitchen) I felt important and fortunately can return to add it in. If you have ever been overwhelmed with information, giving you a Glassy-eyed feeling where you mind begins to Crash from overload, you will understand my current daily life. I have to concentrate just to get a drink of water. Please continue your patience of me; I sensed your care and compassion.

Comment

I really believe it is best to use the GParted Manual, this way: click ONLY to the section that pertains. For example, Delete a partition. They have the screenshots, too, a nice tutorial. It is very difficult and extremely time-consuming to explain this by "remote control," and I don't want the responsibility of destroying your system.

That said, I can get you started but the risk is yours! To delete a partition from the menu of GParted Live CD (where you will see a list of all your partitions), you left click that partition (as shown by GParted in the list it gives you--if it is mounted, with a padlock symbol, first you must unmount it by rt-clicking and the Unmount), then you select Partition (tab at the top), and click Delete. Confirm. Then it is gone, forever (unless TestDisk might be able to recover it--but do not count on that). Ditto for creating a new partition: left-click the blank space where it is to go, click Partition (tab at the top), click New, and fill in the resulting menu of options that pops up (filesystem type, like ext4, size, etc.). That's it. But, boy, if you have trouble concentrating between successive discrete points of time, partitioning and changing partitions is probably the most risky ( = most dangerous) work one can attempt. In GParted, you can't do anything with a partition if it is mounted. You must first unmount it. A mounted partition is shown in GParted by a padlock symbol. Rt-click that partition, select Unmount. Or, another way: left-click that partition to highlight it, then at the top select Partition, then from the list select Unmount.

Comment

I found the tool to format the drive completely and am doing that right now. I am hopeful once things are removed partitioning will be more familiar to me, and I should be able to do it now. I am sorry for the previous reply; it is just frustrating some times when the age factor starts kicking in. I hope you miss this part of life; it makes a person feel impotent. Believe me, I am grateful for the screwed up life I have; the alternative is a killer.

Comment

That's OK, Shabakthanai, no problems here .

You mentioned PartitionMagic. That is a first-class Rescue-utility disk. I believe it uses GParted as its partitioning tool, which is a good thing. Or, simply use a GParted Live CD. Btw, in GParted, after you select a choice (like Partition > New, or Partition > Delete), you must then click the green Apply icon for the actual work to start. Deleting: You can delete one partition at a time, or set up more than one and then click the Apply button just once to have all deletes processed at time.

(Btw, off topic, ever thought about starting a thread under Social to discuss things like aging and limitations? Others here have gotten into such discussions. The discussion could be interesting; and you'd see you are not alone. It's all relative, each of us has his/her own list (of diagnoses and limitations). As the saying goes, it's not what happens to you that counts, it is the meaning or interpretation you attach to events that counts. And so on, like that.)
                Last edited by Qqmike; Mar 30, 2015, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Dear Qqmike,

When I am happy, I laugh. I have been laughing for about half hour now and it is continuing and will continue. I felt a little bad when I left the previous post and am now glad you took it the way you did.

Your help caused me to keep trying. I found a site http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers that is more suited to my thought patterns. It is and has been answering questions I have wanted to know and did not know how to ask for years. It has taken the written shell, what seemed to be enigma to me, and finally made it understandable. I believe, because I wanted to know so badly, I am remembering a lot more. I will find out tomorrow, because I am going to spend lots of time looking for more of this type of instruction. I am so very grateful to you. What a friend you have become. Still laughing. With joy. Shoot, I hope this isn't just moments of clearity, I am having so much fun.

Anyway, my mind crashed, just like a computer crash, when I read from the other tutorial, with the glazed over eyes and headache. This time I agressively look for the next line, and don't even mind diversions to other related links that generalize info about something I will want to know more about. The difference being I now remember how to get back to where I was, again on focus, and remember why I returned. That probably sounds a little foolish, but it is perfectly clear to me, something that doesn't happen much anymore.

Here I go again having to edit my post. Before my father, I have lived 25 years longer than any male in the family tree that is known about. My father made an extra 5 years when he passed at 53. I hope I am in a family trend. The strange thing is that most say that I appear much younger than I am, by as much as 20 years, but I hobble more than people I have known in their 90's, and I want that kind of lifespan too.

I am exercising, making a garden to have healthier food and continuing my desire for computer knowledge. I worry that I waste the time of kind people like you, because I may only live a short while, and I am using your valuable time. But, I just can't help it, I am going to continue trying to learn and extend my life, even if it means I am not being fair with the world. I will freely pass on all the helps guys like you give to me, as long as I live. Thanks my friend. What a joyful day you have made.

I certainly will think about your social idea, I do have some ideas that may be useful to people like me. (I have to click the zoom in button 5 to 6 times to read comfortably. It sure would be nice to be able to set the default minimum font bigger. I haven't been able to read a word on the Unetbootin application but have been able to think I would like to when I read about it while searching the Internet. Things like that that may be pretty easy to modify in the minds of programmers. Still Laughing, my friend.

That's OK, Shabakthanai, no problems here .

You mentioned PartitionMagic. That is a first-class Rescue-utility disk. I believe it uses GParted as its partitioning tool, which is a good thing. Or, simply use a GParted Live CD. Btw, in GParted, after you select a choice (like Partition > New, or Partition > Delete), you must then click the green Apply icon for the actual work to start. Deleting: You can delete one partition at a time, or set up more than one and then click the Apply button just once to have all deletes processed at time.

(Btw, off topic, ever thought about starting a thread under Social to discuss things like aging and limitations? Others here have gotten into such discussions. The discussion could be interesting; and you'd see you are not alone. It's all relative, each of us has his/her own list (of diagnoses and limitations). As the saying goes, it's not what happens to you that counts, it is the meaning or interpretation you attach to events that counts. And so on, like that.)

Comment

Not being able to resize is generally caused by having the disk mounted.

So next time make sure you don't mount the disk and partitions before attempting a resize.

I am one of those that sees partitioning as a separate task to be done before the installation, not as part of it.
                    B.t.w, KDE Partition manager that is included on the live disk is nearly as powerful as what you find on the GParted Live CD.

Success, laughing is healthy

Comment

Your Dedo pal is a good guy
                      http://www.dedoimedo.com/
                      He was the first how-to writer I read in Linux when I first started, 2005-6?, when I used his dual-booting how-to to install Kubuntu next to XP. Occasionally he is around, may even be a member here, I can't recall for sure.

I certainly will think about your social idea, I do have some ideas that may be useful to people like me. (I have to click the zoom in button 5 to 6 times to read comfortably....
                      I do Control+++ (zoom three times, IOW) at this site, to read it comfortably.
                      Last edited by Qqmike; Mar 30, 2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Shabakthanai, I just read some of Dedo's stuff. I know why you like him: He writes in a most encouraging style! Even when there are or may be ... snakes in the grass ...

I also noticed two things: He likes GParted for doing partitioning BEFORE running the Linux installer; and he seems to use the Manual install method while running the (K)Ubuntu-Linux installer.

Comment

When I read manuals anymore, there is usually a lot of sidetracks while being taught. Having too many sidetracks causes me to lose focus. It is like a redirect when you are surfing that takes you places you did not intend or want to go, but thought you might make a mistake if not taking the advice.

I really can't put my finger why I liked his instruction, but I noticed that even if I was sidetracked to something for future consideration, it did not seem to take me on an unending group of sidetracks, so I was able to retain enough to get back where I wanted to be.

His tutorial answered so many questions I did not know how to ask, in a way I could retain more. It was an exciting read and task. Right now I started to laugh a bit.

I realize I don't know enough to teach about partitioning, but I think I finally understand much, if not most of the terminology and features, and appropriate do's and don't do's.

I plan to sped some time reviewing his teaching; I think it will help me understand command line a little better. Thanks, friend!

Shabakthanai, I just read some of Dedo's stuff. I know why you like him: He writes in a most encouraging style! Even when there are or may be ... snakes in the grass ...

I also noticed two things: He likes GParted for doing partitioning BEFORE running the Linux installer; and he seems to use the Manual install method while running the (K)Ubuntu-Linux installer.

Comment

Working...
                          X