This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody using zsync for Windows

I was testing the Beta 1 and Beta 2 release candidates and noticed that there were three RCs for Beta 2, coming on successive days with only minor changes. On Linux, I can use zsync easily. But I also like to use VMs on a Windows (Win7) laptop, and I do not like to give the VMs access to the host disk. Googling gave me two options:
    1. https://www.assembla.com/spaces/zsync-windows/documents
    2. Cygwin

Are there other / better ones you are personally familiar with?

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
    I do not like to give the VMs access to the host disk
    Why not? What do you perceive the risks to be?

Are there other / better ones you are personally familiar with?
    What's the actual problem you're trying to solve? If it's sharing files between a host and guest, and you prefer to use a synchronization method, then just about any tool available will work so long as it's supported by both operating systems. You just need to figure out where the primary file storage will be.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Why not? What do you perceive the risks to be?

What's the actual problem you're trying to solve? If it's sharing files between a host and guest, and you prefer to use a synchronization method, then just about any tool available will work so long as it's supported by both operating systems. You just need to figure out where the primary file storage will be.
      In this case, the Windows Laptop is for work, so I am trying to keep it as close to the corporate image as possible and as segregated from the Linux Guests (non-work) as possible.
      So, yes, I have installed VMware Player and have downloaded ISOs to the Windows Host, but that is it.
      So, maintaining two separate ISOs both synced to the daily build would be my preference.
      Certainly I could

Comment

Certainly I could
        Dude, what happened? Fall asleep? Hit by a stray bullet? Abducted by aliens?

Comment

Certainly I could list bad options, but changed my mind without removing the start. I could try to enable an FTP server on my VM and try to retrieve the ISO from the host, but they share IP addresses. I could try Shared Folders but they do not seem to work with open-vm-tools-desktop, and the official VMware Tools do not seem to install on Vivid.
          Last edited by mparillo; Mar 31, 2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I still don't understand what your actual requirement is. It sounds like file transfer between a host and guest, but you haven't explicitly stated this.

Comment

Yes, thank you. A file transfer would work. I would then run zsync on my guest, and then transfer the ISO to the Windows host, which VMware Player would use as a virtual CD to create a new VM.

The goal is to have an updated ISO on the host (Win7) without downloading the entire image, which I did three days in a row for the three Beta2 release candidates.

Comment

But you'll still need to download the full images. The Ubuntu archives and mirrors lack the necessary .zsync files to support zsync's method of downloading only changes.

Comment

Working...
                X