Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My System is so screwed I don't know what to do. It works for the moment, but?????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My System is so screwed I don't know what to do. It works for the moment, but?????

I replaced my laptop HDD a few months ago due to a failed HDD. After purchasing a new HDD, I use a disk I made when I first got my computer to reinstall Windows Vista, but it did not include drivers; and I have never been able to get drivers for it that allows me to connect to the Internet, so when I installed Kubuntu I did not have Internet connection or access to the forum.

My desktop PC boots up, but the mouse and keyboard only work sometimes in Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. The dual boot OS, Windows 7 Pro has been contaminated with a virus for over a month. I have been unable to cure the problem, with help. Each time I attempted to install either Windows 7 or Kubuntu 14.04, either the keyboard or mouse functions seem to lock-up.

I have never heard of a virus making it from one OS to another dual-boot, but that does not mean it can not happen, based upon my knowledge. I am concerned that somehow the virus was able to enter the GRUB and contaminate my Kubuntu applciation. IF impossible, please advise, so I can eliminate that possibility from my thinking.

I left my system off over night and when I tried it today, it is working so far, but it is probably very temporary; it has happened before then frozen.

Because I have been unable to communicate with anyone about my problems, I attempted an installation of kubuntu 14.04 on the drive containing Windows 7 Pro; I formatted the drive before installation, and although the installation said it was successful, I was not able to restart to that Operating System upon completion. All other attempts to format drives that contain an operating system have failed with a frozen system when trying to install.

If you are able to help me, one of my HDD's is a TB drive that contains my /home folder. That drive also had an installation of Kubuntu 14.04, which was never installed there on purpose. It was originally instructed to be instlaled on a 128GB SSD, but somehow managed to be installed on the TB drive. I never noticed that when it happened and it has been that way a long time.

When I attempted the Installation of Kubuntu 14.04 on the drive containing Windows 7 Pro,, it was the only way I was able to format and get rid of the virus. I believe but do not know for sure that you can not have a multi-boot that contains the OS's of the same version, so just before trying this, I deleted the OS partition on the TB drive; it was the only way I could eliminate the possible duplication of OS's. GParted would not give me the option for formatting the partition. Unfortunately, that drive contained my /home partition. The TB drive was supposed to be reserved for my home directory exclusively, so the inclusion of a Kubuntu OS, was not wanted.

I am old, a retired fine-artist on low retirement, so I have to spend wisely. I no longer having any living friends or acquaintances in my area, and I am unable to drive anymore. I only mention this because I am unable to do the usual thing most are able to do.

If you believe you may have solutions, I have attempted the most common ones, but leave a detailed list including the steps to complete. I am willing to lose all data on all drives to get a system running; I would really like to save the /home partition if possible, it contains precious things I don't want to lose All my banking, my communication with others long-distance, and my purchases are done online, so my computer is very important. I also pay my bills and provide that voice in the room, ie. movies using my computer.

When the computer freezes, I may not be able to get back to the forum for a while; I can only hope. Now is a usual time for the freeze to take place, when I attempt to send this post. If the mouse click works it will post, if not ? Thanks for any help you may provide. I am desparate.
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Mar 25, 2015, 10:59 AM. Reason: corrections

Hi Shabakthanal. I don't have a ready response to your issue stated here, not at the moment (I'm afraid I am of the drastic belief: wipe the HDD and re-install the whole show!), but one quick thought I can relate to. I know you've spent some $$$ on your fancy (power-house) PC. Consider spending just $200 on a decent/reliable tablet, like a basic Samsung where you'd have Firefox to use in a pinch or emergency; that way, you'd always have an option to get connected and on-line. Good luck, I'll try to follow this thread.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Have you run a test on the memory of this computer?

Because your recurring and divers problems might be caused by a hardware issue.

Such a memory test is available during the start up phase of grub.

Add on:
      I just saw your post of the 11th. about adding RAM and lock ups, this re-enforces my sugestion to check the RAM.
      Or start by taking some RAM out and see if a particular stick is causing the grief.
      Last edited by Teunis; Mar 25, 2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Although the installation of Kubuntu 14.04 did not set when completed, today when I booted to see what I can do, Kubuntu opened normally. I checked to see if it was the Kubuntu on my 256GB SSD, which is the one that contained the Win7Pro infected with virus. It was, and I have not had any problems so far.

I seem to have lost my /home partition, which is terrible, but I notice that the drive that it was on still shows content, so I am hopeful someone can help me recover it. Out of my 4 drives, this one is the only one that is useful at the moment. Still I have a working computer, so the stress is gone. I don't know what I would have done if it hadn't taken. I was so depressed, all I could do was sleep. I needed that anyway, with all the stress. Thanks for the input and help.

Actually, I have a great laptop; I just have to get proper drivers installed. Toshiba Intel dual-core 2300Mhz with 8GB ram. I had a HDD failure. When I replaced the HDD, I installed using a DVD that I made when purchased. I did not get a Vista CD with purchase. A problem remained after the installation, drivers were not included, so I was unable to connect to the Internet after the installation.

Apparently I am not smart enough to easily find them. I tried and downloade what appeared the right ones, but still I could not get connected. I hate to purchase another laptop while I may be able to get appropriate drivers. It is not a subject that gurus want to help, either. No one responded when I tried to get help.

Thanks for your kind and generous help, my friend.
        Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        Hi Shabakthanal. I don't have a ready response to your issue stated here, not at the moment (I'm afraid I am of the drastic belief: wipe the HDD and re-install the whole show!), but one quick thought I can relate to. I know you've spent some $$$ on your fancy (power-house) PC. Consider spending just $200 on a decent/reliable tablet, like a basic Samsung where you'd have Firefox to use in a pinch or emergency; that way, you'd always have an option to get connected and on-line. Good luck, I'll try to follow this thread.
        Last edited by Shabakthanai; Mar 25, 2015, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I ran the memory test which took the better part of a day, even on my computer. Memory tested perfect.

Because so many things went wrong at the same time, you are confusing the driver problem which is on my laptop.

About 6 months ago, my laptop had a HDD failure. I replaced the drive and installed the OS using DVD's I made earlier in my possession. The problem was that drivers were not installed in the process. Unable to connect to the Internet, I had to try to download drivers on my Desktop PC.

I was unable to identify the correct drivers apparently, and they did not seem to have identity that I could confirm. I tried other available drivers, but they were not the right ones either. I hate my loss; the laptop is still fairly current, Intel dual-core 2300Mhz with 8GB memory. I guess I am just not smart enough to figure out the driver problem and no one responds when I post the issue. It was a great back-up prior to the HDD failure.

I wish I knew how to make a post that would get response to the driver problem of my laptop. Perhaps you could suggest wording that might succeed.

I don't think I will ever install any Microsoft Operating System again. They always seem to cause problems when include large amounts of unnecessary expense. I will discontinue my account with Netflix until they make Linux welcome. I guess I am OK again. Thanks for the help, friend.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          Have you run a test on the memory of this computer?

Because your recurring and divers problems might be caused by a hardware issue.

Such a memory test is available during the start up phase of grub.

Add on:
          I just saw your post of the 11th. about adding RAM and lock ups, this re-enforces my sugestion to check the RAM.
          Or start by taking some RAM out and see if a particular stick is causing the grief.

Comment

Working...
          X