Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unetbootin has capabilities I want. The font is too small for me to read.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unetbootin has capabilities I want. The font is too small for me to read.

Unable to find a forum where Unetbootin is discussed, I am posting here.

I am old and am unable to read fine print anymore. I wanted to install Unetbootin because of it's ability to create ISO's from other than Operating Systems. I believe I sucessfully installed the application on my clomputer, but the on screen print size is too small for me to read. Changing the distance, squinting, etc. I can't read the print.

Almost all applications provide for at least resizing font size for those of us who are impaired. Apparently not the case with Unetbootin. When I go to the website, I can see that it is a fine program with wonderful capabilities.

Does anyone know how I can change the default settings for font size? Usually when I use Ctrl+, I press the mouse 6 times to make the screen comfortable in size. Thanks!

I can't understand why changing default font size isn't standard with Linux applications. Surely even those who don't require the feature may still enjoy a larger print size.

Qt application font size

As default the KDE and Qt applications are following the KDE settings: KDE System Settings > Application Appearance > Fonts.

Qt Style Sheets

The Qt applications can use the style sheets. Earlier 'Shabakthanai ' asked: kdesudo dolphin, can the menu font sizes be increased? Perhaps minimum 12 point : https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...nimum-12-point .

The Unetbooting is a Qt application -> It can use the stylesheets.

Writing a stylesheet - bigQWidgetFont.qss:
    Code:
    QWidget { font-size: 24px }
    Starting the Unetbooting:

Code:
    kdesudo 'unetbootin -stylesheet bigQWidgetFont.qss'
    The Unetbooting with the normal and the 24px fonts:

Qt configuration tool

:~$ apt-cache show qt4-qtconfig

Description: Qt 4 configuration tool
    Qt is a cross-platform C++ application framework. Qt's primary feature
    is its rich set of widgets that provide standard GUI functionality.
    The Qt Configuration program allows end users to configure the look and
    behavior of any Qt 4 application.
    Last edited by Wheel Inventor; Mar 19, 2015, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Shabakthanai, do you know about Desktop Zoom? It magnifies the whole desktop, not just the web page or whatever you are in at the time.

It's built into the KDE desktop ... just hold down the Meta (Windows) key and tap the = key to zoom in or Meta and - key to zoom back out. Meta and 0 reverts back to normal 100% size.

Also, in the menu under Utilities there is the KMag tool (Screen Magnifier) which with a bit of practice looks pretty useful for zooming parts of the desktop. I found clicking on the Mouse option and then moving the mouse around my desktop was quite illuminating.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks Rod, I will have to use this advice later. I don't know how, but at least for the time be, I am able to access applications in Kubuntu. I immediately got on the forum. I don't know what I am going to do. My other dual boot OS is Windows 7 Pro; it is completely overtaken by a virus that I am unable to remove.

During my many attempts to fix it, with help, something happened to my Kubuntu OS. I was using Kubuntu to communicate while trying to solve the Win7 problem. I have used the Advanced selection in Kubuntu to try to fix any problems that happened without any success. I did not think it possible for a virus to have an impact on the other boot in a dual boot situation, but that is one of the possibilities I have considered. Do you know if GRUB can be infected by something from an alternate boot? In any event, when I open Kubuntu, the menu does not engage when I click on the mouse. If I use the keyboard and Alt +f2, I can open an application, but the mouse will not activate any selections, like a desire to write an email. The response is like the application is frozen. Same with Firefox, I can open it using the keyboard, but selecting a bookmark the computer acts like it is frozen.

I opened VLC to see if I could play a movie; I need the voice in the room. VLC opened, and I was able to select movies from files and play them, but I could not make any other adjustments, like volume controls or if I wanted to move the screen to the other monitor, Alt drag would not work. The menu panel would drop down when my mouse was at the top of the screen, but selecting any Icon on the panel was again like the computer is frozen.

I have tried to re-install Windows 7 Pro to correct problems in the alternate boot; I have even tried to re-install Win7, but am unable to get an installation application to work. I then attempted to reinstall Kubuntu using my USB IOS, but when I selected USB as first to boot in the BIOS and restarted the computer, my computer would bypass the instruction and open in Kubuntu as default.

I have tried two separate mouses, to confirm that the mouses are functioning.

I have no idea how I got into the Forum this time. I used Alt+ f2 and firefox to open, and I don't know why it is responding to commands right now. This has happened a couple times in the past but doesn't last, so I will provide a list of the help I need in the order of importance, if you or anyone else has seen this happen before and has a solution.

1st, it would be nice if there was a solution to repair either of my OS's in some simple fashion. Remember I usually do not have access to the Internet due to the freeze type of response most usually engaged. I do have an original Windows 7 Pro CD and a USB ISO of Kubutnu 14.04.

If that is not possible:

2nd, how can I format any or all of the OS drives for re-installation. If this is caused by a tricky virus, I need to get it out so that normal function can take over. Like I said, I have two operating systems that I could install, if the install features will work. So if the Virus is removed by formatting the HDD or SDD, I should then be able to reinstall an uninfected OS.

Lastly, while the Windows 7 virus was in my computer but Kubuntu was working, I was contacted by a technician at GSkill who responded to an inquiry when I added additional memory to my computer. He offered to help me fine-tune my computer using the fancy BIOS I have; it involved working in the over-clocking feature of my BIOS. He realized I was not a gamer and that I had enough speed as is, but thought computer efficiency could be increased greatly if all settings were optimal. We were in the process of making adjustments about the time my other problems surfaced.

Since I had been using the default BIOS settings, this was my first thought when the problems happened, that it was this messing with the BIOS that was probably causing the problems, but I returned to BIOS to its 'default' settings and have remained there while trying to resolve the new problems.

I am fortunate to have my cell phone; otherwise I would be completely alone. I have outlived everyone I know in Dayton and my family is a long way away, where computer access is necessary and help is unavailable. You too are like my family a long way away. This is a very stress filled problem. When things are not working, I feel totally alone with no one to call for help. Not fun.

I will check this post as long as I am able to stay connected if any help is available, or if I am able to reconnect if I again lose connection. I would rather have a working computer than worry about loss of data. It is much more important to me. Thanks for help from you Rod or anyone who reads this.

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
        Shabakthanai, do you know about Desktop Zoom? It magnifies the whole desktop, not just the web page or whatever you are in at the time.

It's built into the KDE desktop ... just hold down the Meta (Windows) key and tap the = key to zoom in or Meta and - key to zoom back out. Meta and 0 reverts back to normal 100% size.

Also, in the menu under Utilities there is the KMag tool (Screen Magnifier) which with a bit of practice looks pretty useful for zooming parts of the desktop. I found clicking on the Mouse option and then moving the mouse around my desktop was quite illuminating.

Comment

Working...
        X