X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mplayer , smplayer, vlc all broken ?

Hello ,

This is strange , just updated the trusty 14.04.1 os , sat down to watch a movie and mplayer crashes.

Tried to start again and again but mplayer crashes every time.

Went to to vlc , see if that plays and to my surprise same thing.

Back to mplayer , copied the log output :

Code:
    /usr/local/bin/mplayer -noquiet -slave -identify -nofs -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau, -sub-fuzziness 1 -vo vdpau -ao pulse -nodr -double -stop-xscreensaver -nomouseinput -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -nokeepaspect -wid 62914609 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -subfont-osd-scale 3 -ass -embeddedfonts -ass-line-spacing 0 -ass-font-scale 1 -noflip-hebrew -ass-styles /home/reel/.config/smplayer/styles.ass -subcp ISO-8859-1 -subpos 100 -volume 50 -cache 2048 -osdlevel 0 -noslices -channels 2 -af-add scaletempo -af-add equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 -softvol -softvol-max 110 /media/reel/Reel Media Drive/recordings/Eyes Wide Shut (1999) x264 720p tRuAVC.mkv

MPlayer was compiled without FriBiDi support.
    MPlayer 1.1-4.8 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
    3DNow supported but disabled
    3DNowExt supported but disabled
    ID_EXIT=NONE
    Googled for mplayer ppa and it seems mplayer has been taken out of the repositories.

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package...oposed/mplayer

My question is how can i play media now ?

Ruined a nice quiet evening.

Thanks for any help.

What's the console output when you try to play a movie with VLC?

Comment

@kdeuser Is this problem occurring on that multimedia device you have that strange edition of Ubuntu on it (cannot remember its name)?

What I would do is remove the mplayer ppa and revert back to the version as in the standard repository and if you have done it also with VLC then do the same, revert back to standard version in repository.

Comment

@SteveRiley,

My bad, got to see the movie via vlc - mplayer is the problem.

Output from mplayer :

Code:
        /usr/local/bin/mplayer -noquiet -slave -identify -nofs -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau, -sub-fuzziness 1 -vo vdpau -ao pulse -nodr -double -stop-xscreensaver -nomouseinput -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -nokeepaspect -wid 44040241 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -subfont-osd-scale 3 -ass -embeddedfonts -ass-line-spacing 0 -ass-font-scale 1 -noflip-hebrew -ass-styles /home/reel/.config/smplayer/styles.ass -subcp ISO-8859-1 -subpos 100 -volume 50 -cache 2048 -osdlevel 0 -idx -noslices -channels 2 -af-add scaletempo -af-add equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 -softvol -softvol-max 110 /media/reel/Reel Media Drive1/recordings/American Hustle 2013 720p BRRip x264 AC3-JYK/American Hustle 2013 720p BRRip x264 AC3-JYK.mkv

ID_EXIT=NONE
        /usr/local/bin/mplayer -noquiet -slave -identify -nofs -vc ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau, -sub-fuzziness 1 -vo vdpau -ao pulse -nodr -double -stop-xscreensaver -nomouseinput -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -nokeepaspect -wid 62914609 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -subfont-osd-scale 3 -ass -embeddedfonts -ass-line-spacing 0 -ass-font-scale 1 -noflip-hebrew -ass-styles /home/reel/.config/smplayer/styles.ass -subcp ISO-8859-1 -subpos 100 -volume 50 -cache 2048 -osdlevel 0 -noslices -channels 2 -af-add scaletempo -af-add equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 -softvol -softvol-max 110 /media/reel/Reel Media Drive/recordings/Eyes Wide Shut (1999) x264 720p tRuAVC.mkv

ID_EXIT=NONE

For some reason the code quotes miss most of the mplayer log.

@NickStone,

On the bm2lts v2.61a plus can`t find any mplayer ppa in sources , just smplayer. The version of mplayer is the one used from the repositories.

This is the one which was nuked :

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package...oposed/mplayer

Comment

Hello. For future reference, you can copy / paste large txt / log files into http://paste.ubuntu.com/. This will allow you us to more easily ready larger files. I'm guessing there's a character limit as to how many characters can be put into the :code: formatting style.
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

@kdeuser it appears that your trying to play a MKV video file through Mplayer and according to this site Mplayer doesn't appear to support that video format, which would explain why it is crashing out when trying to play your MKV videos.

Unless someone else knows how to get Mplayer to play MKV videos I would stick to using VLC for that format.

Comment

Originally posted by kdeuser View Post
              For some reason the code quotes miss most of the mplayer log.
              No, it's all there -- note the scroll bar on the right side of the CODE box.

Originally posted by dequire View Post
              Hello. For future reference, you can copy / paste large txt / log files into http://paste.ubuntu.com/. This will allow you us to more easily ready larger files. I'm guessing there's a character limit as to how many characters can be put into the :code: formatting style.
              Nope, there's no limit. I really don't know what vBulletin uses to decide how long of a box to show. Sometimes it shows everything, other times it throws a scroll bar on.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                Unless someone else knows how to get Mplayer to play MKV videos I would stick to using VLC for that format.
                MPlayer2, in the repositories, can handle these.

Comment

The workaround for this problem was to force version , so now on mplayer v37373.

Synaptic > Package > Force Version , now this version of mplayer will be unaffected by updates.

Re-installed all updates again and smplayer works perfect again.

Thanks for everyones help.
                  Last edited by kdeuser; Mar 20, 2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X