X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hide backups in dolphin OR prevent nemo taking over desktop

Hello,

I have a large number of files in a particular folder, and would like to not see their backups which all end in ~. Only 1 of the three programs which are creating backups (emacs) would allow me to edit the outputting of the backups. I could not figure out how to make dolphin hide them, so I switched to nemo. However, nemo runs in the background all of the time, and takes over my desktop. For instance, I cannot add widgets to my desktop anymore, and suddenly I can click and drag to make a selection box the folders and files that are now on my desktop. How can I prevent nemo from taking over my desktop and running in the background? Alternatively how can I make dolphin hide backup files (~) ?

Thank you!

typically hidden files in linux begin with a .

like .kde in your home directory ,,,,,,,so if you rename the backups to .backupname they will be hidden unless you press alt+. wile in the directory that contains them in dolphin,,,,,,, re-pressing alt+. will hide them again.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      typically hidden files in linux begin with a .

like .kde in your home directory ,,,,,,,so if you rename the backups to .backupname they will be hidden unless you press alt+. wile in the directory that contains them in dolphin,,,,,,, re-pressing alt+. will hide them again.

VINNY
      Thank you VINNY but this directory is constantly having backups created in it due to the nature of my work; so it would be better to just not see them, instead of constantly renaming them. Does anyone have an idea of how to achieve either requested functionality instead of just working around it? Either dolphin should not see my backups, or Nemo should not take over my desktop

Comment

I don't use emacs (shudder) but I'm sure there's a way to have your backup files put somewhere else; I use a directory called .backup in my home.

A more modern approach, one I should adopt, is to check into a local branch in your distributed versioning system (git, hg) on every save; saving a single backup doesn't really save much at all, it only protects against system failures during a save.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Dotting

KDE - How to hide back up files (xxxxx~): http://superuser.com/questions/32027...up-files-xxxxx
          Try Me !

Comment

I found a solution! I still cannot hide backups in dolphin, but at least I can do it in nemo, without nemo taking over my desktop. For anyone who is interested in how to achieve this- run the following in the terminal:
            Code:
            gsettings org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons false
            (Yes, it actually prevents it from running in the background so you don't have to find its process id and kill it every time!)

Hi jlittle! Cheers! I actually do use git in my work, which automatically backs up many files. Thanks tips

Originally posted by LinkBot View Post
            KDE - How to hide back up files (xxxxx~): http://superuser.com/questions/32027...up-files-xxxxx
            Hi LinkBot. I appreciate your willingness to help, but that only hides files within the context of their appearance in a widget. Since I want to hide it in the file manager itself - in dolphin - that wasn't quite what I was looking for. Not to mention that I don't even have any files on the desktop anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X