This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install to USB Help...

I understand that the info is probably here somewhere, but I've never used Linux before, heard this version was shiny, wanted to try it out, so I hope that you appreciate that even if the info is here somewhere, I really don't know what I'm looking for.

So..

I mounted the ISO to my flash drive, as per all the instructions.
    Booted it from my flash drive, and here is where the confusion starts.

2 Options - 1: Try Kubunto from flash or cd
    2: Install Kubunto..

Well, I wanted to install it, I thought I already had with the installer thingy with the iso earlier, but what the hell.
    Alas; no option to install to usb stick - My hard driver, my ssd, and my external hdd, yep, my usb, nope...

So I restarted the computer, and chose the option to try Kubunto -

It then managed to crash in the first 10 seconds, and then competely hang after I clicked to add widget - Fantastic..

So help is appreciated..

What am I doing wrong? I'd really like to install to my USB stick if possible.

I'd also like to know how to eventually make the partition bigger than the 4gb Max that I could choose when mounting the ISO..

Thanks..

Ben

If you don't want to install it to a internal drive, running from the installer USB via option 1 is generally good enough.

A few details to begin with -
    Which version did you burn to USB?
    How big is the USB?
    Did you include the option for persistent storage on the USB?
    What is the make and model of the computer you are installing to / trying it out on?
    How much RAM?
    What video card?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      If you don't want to install it to a internal drive, running from the installer USB via option 1 is generally good enough.

A few details to begin with -
      Which version did you burn to USB?
      How big is the USB?
      Did you include the option for persistent storage on the USB?
      What is the make and model of the computer you are installing to / trying it out on?
      How much RAM?
      What video card?
      Hi, and thanks for the reply..

Version: 14.10 64 bit
      Size of USB - 32GB
      Yes - the Max 4GB that the installer allowed..
      Custom built pc, specs as follows:
      i5 4460
      GTX 660
      8GB Ram
      Gigabyte H97-HD3 motherboard..

It's not that I mind installing it to an internal drive, just having a portable OS appealed to me somewhat.

Comment

In that case, stay with the bootable USB that you have - with persistence, it is a portable OS

It just needs to work.

What was this crash in the first 10 seconds? I'm confused because you then say you clicked to add a widget so I assume the bootup completed and the desktop was operational?

Comment

In that case, stay with the bootable USB that you have - with persistence, it is a portable OS

It just needs to work.

What was this crash in the first 10 seconds? I'm confused because you then say you clicked to add a widget so I assume the bootup completed and the desktop was operational?
          Yo Yo -

Another reason to install it on the USB first was kinda like a test run anyway, so if I like it, I'll install it on my main drive.

Probably my fault for getting impatient that caused the crash - I'll try it again in a bit.

But yes, the OS was indeed operational.

What do I need to do so I can use the entire usb as persistant storage?

Comment

Not sure ... once booted you may be able to see the USB device as a writeable device ... and this may not destroy its boot capability

That's probably something to investigate after making sure it is stable!

Comment

Don't forget that after installing a Kubutnu Operating System, there are things to do to make it stable. From a command line: sudo apt-get update - sudo apt-get upgrade - sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras - sudo dpkg --configure -a These commands will stabilize the Operating System and permit a variet of capabilities you may be interested in testing and using. I am thinking the crash was due to missing these steps in the installation process.

I am not sure, but after you finish these steps, you may use as much as 15GB of your thumb drive. You might also reconsider the Operating System. Kubuntu 14.04 is very close to 14.10, and has long term support. It is slightly more stable too, which could be very important to a new user. I hope things work out for you, because if you have too many bad experiences when just starting out with Kubuntu as an OS, sometimes it causes a person to give up on a system that is far superior to the Windows OS it replaces.

Additionally, it makes a difference whether you put the OS on a USB II or USB III. USB III is much faster, but not as many people have systems with USB III as do USB II. If you want to show it to friends, think about whether their systems are more cutting edge with USB III ports. Also, if you want your USB to be fast like you currently experience as well as have the capabilities of your desktop PC, you might want to get a much larger thumb drive. You can get 128GB thumb drives for about $50 and 256GB's for a bit more.

Not sure ... once booted you may be able to see the USB device as a writeable device ... and this may not destroy its boot capability

That's probably something to investigate after making sure it is stable!

Comment

Working...
              X