Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When an email arrives as an HTML, I get the option to approve sender and read in HTML

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When an email arrives as an HTML, I get the option to approve sender and read in HTML

When I select the button that accepts the HTML, Kmail locks up. How do I correct this.

I have made sure the package is not broken. I have also updated and upgraded. These did not help.

Try Thunderbird

I have tried Kmail but I prefer Thunderbird. When Kmail locks up try the Ctrl-Esc to get the System Activity on screen ... see if you can see what is using CPU the most and you might be able to deduce what is causing the lock up (part of Kmail process or something).
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
      When I select the button that accepts the HTML, Kmail locks up. How do I correct this.

I have made sure the package is not broken. I have also updated and upgraded. These did not help.
      I am surprised to hear that you have to accept an HTML email, this sounds to me like in order to view the message in HTML that you have to accept it to download the message. Can you tell us if you have set it up to connect to POP3 or IMAP?

By default Kmail will not display the HTML message for security reasons, there should be a link at the top of the message for you to click on to display the HTML (if you want to) and should display instantly. If you have set up Kmail to only display the email header and to accept the message to be downloaded it may be that when you are authorising to display the message the request is being ignored at the senders server which may explain why Kmail is locking up because it is still waiting for the server to respond.

Can you also display details of this email that is causing Kmail to lockup please?
      Attached Files

Comment

It sounds like you understand my setup, Nick. I see the same image when someone sends HTML. If I trust the site, I accept. I like this method, becaause I only accept those I know and trust.

Here is what happens when I deside to accept in HTML: The moment I click on accept, the applicatioin freezes. It did not used to happen. I have been using and prefer Kmail to all other email applications I have tried.

One thing I have tried is below the Accept is a image of the first screen of the HTML with images not showing. It is hard for me to read the print, which is smaller than my old eyes can handle, however if it appears to be a link to a website, I select the link and I get transferred to the website. I just recently tried this and am happy that I can link up without the freeze, but it would be nice if I could accept an HTML without freezing the program. When I am on the link, I am able to Ctrl+ to increase the print size. To give you an idea how much help I need to see comfortably, I press Ctrl+ 6 times.

It also would be nice if I could figure how to set my Ctrl+ 6 as default. If it turned out to be too large a print size it would happen rarely, and Ctrl- would only a click or two to make the print right. My default would be right for me, 99.9% of the time. Thanks friend

Sorry i did not include til now. I have a POP3 setup.

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
        I am surprised to hear that you have to accept an HTML email, this sounds to me like in order to view the message in HTML that you have to accept it to download the message. Can you tell us if you have set it up to connect to POP3 or IMAP?

By default Kmail will not display the HTML message for security reasons, there should be a link at the top of the message for you to click on to display the HTML (if you want to) and should display instantly. If you have set up Kmail to only display the email header and to accept the message to be downloaded it may be that when you are authorising to display the message the request is being ignored at the senders server which may explain why Kmail is locking up because it is still waiting for the server to respond.

Can you also display details of this email that is causing Kmail to lockup please?
        Last edited by Shabakthanai; Mar 16, 2015, 09:13 PM. Reason: I missed answering a question. Sorry!

Comment

Thanks for the input, Rod. I have been using Kmail for so long, when it is working properly, I haven't found anything to compare. Glitches happen rarely, and I like to work through the glitches if possible. Like your preference for Thunderbird, mine is Kmail. Nice to see your face again. By the way, I made 72 the 10th. I can't believe my long life. I am so grateful for that. Next year if I make it, I will have lived 20 years longer than my father and 26 years longer than all the other males on my father's side of the gene pool. It is always nice to hear from you, my friend.

I am familiar with Thunderbird and have used it when necessary. In fact, I use it on my Windows 7 Pro install, dual-boot. Currently I have the most tenatious virus on that OS. Everything I have tried to get rid of it has failed. It appears if I want to retain Windows 7 as a backup, I will have to re-install. I avoid that because it will cause me to lose my Kubuntu ap too. Every thing I have currently installed is highly customized, so the thought of reinstalling everything is not a fun thought. If I do it, it will probably take several days before I get things back to normal.

The folks at the Windows 7 forums have been very helpful, even though I am a Kubuntu user, but we haven't been able to rid my system of the virus yet. Their kind and thoughtful help will seceed in the end, I believe.

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
          Try Thunderbird

I have tried Kmail but I prefer Thunderbird. When Kmail locks up try the Ctrl-Esc to get the System Activity on screen ... see if you can see what is using CPU the most and you might be able to deduce what is causing the lock up (part of Kmail process or something).

Comment

It maybe an issue with POP3 that it is sending the request to view the HTML email but the POP3 server is not responding.

Does your e-mail account support IMAP? If so, can you change your settings to use IMAP to check if it is doing the same thing?

Comment

Thanks for your kind words Shabakthanai.

I liked Kmail when I tried it a while back but it suffers from the same problem I had with Evolution when I was using Ubuntu ... extremely slow. I have a very slow internet connection and it is really obvious when using either of these email clients. For some reason Thunderbird is much faster fetching my emails and applying my filters for my Gmail IMAP account.

I sympathise with what you say regarding reinstalling and configuring the OS after it is installed. I installed Kubuntu 14.04 on this new system and I'm still getting it how I want it to work weeks later. It takes me ages to do this, but I'm a bit pedantic and slow I guess. I'm experimenting all the time too ... currently trying out Cairo Dock. I like it but just discovered that it doesn't seem to like Wine apps very much. I'll probably go back to using the icon-only task manager in my panel eventually.

If you do have to reinstall Windows 7 you can still get back into your Kubuntu install later by following the instructions on this page (Although it is written for Ubuntu I think it should work for Kubuntu as well): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I have a reasonably fast system and do not notice anything slow about kmail. Nonetheless, I have AMD 8-core @ 4.3GHz with 32GB of very fast ram. I prefer speed too, though. If it were working slower that TBird, I would definately change.

Wow! If I can recover the GRUB after re-installing Windows 7 Pro, I cannot see a reason to wait. The virus is driving me nuts. With lots of help, I cannot get rid of it. Thanks for the idea. I think I will try to make sure it works for Kubuntu too, though. By the way, I have been configuring Kubuntu 14.04 quite a bit myself. If there is anything I may help you with, I am willing.

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                Thanks for your kind words Shabakthanai.

I liked Kmail when I tried it a while back but it suffers from the same problem I had with Evolution when I was using Ubuntu ... extremely slow. I have a very slow internet connection and it is really obvious when using either of these email clients. For some reason Thunderbird is much faster fetching my emails and applying my filters for my Gmail IMAP account.

I sympathise with what you say regarding reinstalling and configuring the OS after it is installed. I installed Kubuntu 14.04 on this new system and I'm still getting it how I want it to work weeks later. It takes me ages to do this, but I'm a bit pedantic and slow I guess. I'm experimenting all the time too ... currently trying out Cairo Dock. I like it but just discovered that it doesn't seem to like Wine apps very much. I'll probably go back to using the icon-only task manager in my panel eventually.

If you do have to reinstall Windows 7 you can still get back into your Kubuntu install later by following the instructions on this page (Although it is written for Ubuntu I think it should work for Kubuntu as well): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows

Comment

Hi Nick,

My ISP is RoadRunner of Time Warner. As far as I can tell, they do not support IMAP. Thanks~

It maybe an issue with POP3 that it is sending the request to view the HTML email but the POP3 server is not responding.

Does your e-mail account support IMAP? If so, can you change your settings to use IMAP to check if it is doing the same thing?

Comment

One solution to re-install Windows and Kubuntu is to backup Kubuntu with remastersys, I believe it is still available in repository. remastersys will backup all of kubuntu including personal settings so when you re-install it will be returned to current state.

Once you have backed up kubuntu you can then format and re-install Windows 7 to get rid of that virus, then simply re-install kubuntu that you had backed up with remastersys.

Comment

Dear Nick,

You are just plain terrific.

I have since found that Kmail may be able to operate in IMAP. But this reply is a breath of hope for me.

I never understood any difference between POP3 and IMAP. Apparently IMAP tends to be better for networks and POP3 may be a bit easier for single users. I haven't been able to get it working yet. Even though I am a single user, I think I still want to use the IMAP application. What I read so far indicates it as a better option. Once I figure out how to configure it, I should be good to go.

Your comment about remastersys sounds like a great solution to my virus problem. It looks like the project has new life, but I was unable to find a download or command line instruction for getting a key. Do you know where I can go to find it? It sounds like a terrific application; I can see why so many are interested in getting it going again. Any further help from you would be greatly appreciated. If I understand it correctly, I copy my current system, including all it's settings and configuration, as an ISO then reinstall after fixing my Windows problem; is that correct?

I joined a newsletter that was meant to be used by more important users, owners of companies, and the such. A retired individual probably won't be very useful to the project, but I am very interested. If they also allow me to learn from the work, I want to know. You have changed the direction of my spirit. It seemed pretty gloomy there for a while; isn't hope a wonderful thing?

One solution to re-install Windows and Kubuntu is to backup Kubuntu with remastersys, I believe it is still available in repository. remastersys will backup all of kubuntu including personal settings so when you re-install it will be returned to current state.

Once you have backed up kubuntu you can then format and re-install Windows 7 to get rid of that virus, then simply re-install kubuntu that you had backed up with remastersys.

Comment

I never understood any difference between POP3 and IMAP.
                        The main difference between POP3 and IMAP is that with POP3 you have to download the emails to your computer before you can read them. With IMAP you can read the emails from the server. The main advantage for POP3 is for those people who are still using dial up modems and have to pay a call charge whenever they connect, they will be able to download all their emails amd read them offline. The advantage of IMAP is that you can read your emails on one computer then if you use another computer you can still read that same email.

Your comment about remastersys sounds like a great solution to my virus problem. It looks like the project has new life, but I was unable to find a download or command line instruction for getting a key. Do you know where I can go to find it?
                        Key? You should not need a key to use remastersys you should be able to download and install with the following command
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install remastersys
                        Unless your talking about the "key" to activate Windows 7 once you re-install it, that should be printed on the label on your computer.

Comment

Hi friend, Actually I tried and failed with the cocmmand you suggest. The reply is as follows:

steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$ sudo apt-get install remastersys
                          [sudo] password for steven:
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          E: Unable to locate package remastersys
                          steven@steven-Yeshuah:~$

When searching, there was a command to get the GPG key, which failed for the same reason.

As far as mail is concerned, I am very interested in using IMAP; I have occasion to use Windows 7 as well as my laptop on rare occasions. It would be nice to be able to access current mail that has already been downloaded through those OS's as well.

Nick, I have a tendency to misunderstand the tereminology used in some of the configurations. For instance, in configuring IMAP, there is the following: 'IMAP Account 3' is pre-entered for Account Name: IMAP Server: is blank and I am not sure what to enter there Username: is pre-entered as 'steven'. I believe my ISP required my user name to be my email address 'svollom@woh.rr.com' Additionally, I am not sure if Password is required on the 'Receiving' server or the Sending. I use RoadRunner who is serviced by Time Warner cable. Password is required on one but not the other. So much time has passed since I have done this, I can't remember how, or if the same rules apply in the configuration for POP3 and IMAP. RoadRunner does not permit SSL/TLS - does the same rule apply for IMAP? How do I set up 'Sending'? The choices are different. Is it still SMTP?

Once I get this IMAP set up, I will have a model to work from next time, if there is a next time.

I remember several times over the past that I was disappointed when opening either my laptop or I believe Windows 7 and that I was unable to download current emails because they had already been downloaded in my default system; it would have been nice to know that IMAP is the solution.

I would tough this out on my own right now, but I don't know how, the Virus on my Window 7 Pro OS has apparently affected Kubuntu, which doesn't make any sense to me, other than I suppose it may be able to affect GRUB from the Windows application. Other than that, new problems are beginning that are not stimulated my any of my activity, I believe.

That also may be inaccurate, I got an offer to help me fine tune my BIOS from a technician in GSkill, so I am taking advantage of his kind service. Perhaps my Kubuntu problems are relate to that tune up process. Actually that makes more sense, I guess, but happening at the same time I am trying to remove a very bad virus seemed probable at the time.

I ran the Kaspersky 10 recovery scan, the different drives being identified by sda, b, c, d, I did not remember which was which OS. I remembered from some past comment that sda was usually the first OS, so when installing Kaspersky's rescue ISO USB I selected sda1 for the first scan, which was apparently my Kubuntu OS. After failing to get the expected result from the scan, I opened KDE Partition Manager to find that Windows 7 was on sdc, not sda like I thought. Windows 7 was the first OS installed.
                          I believe I am right about that, because NTFS file system was entered in the sdc entry.

I am sure it is because I allowed myself to be working on too many things at once that made things more complicated. With my limited knowledge of things, I tend to make what I think are logical decisions, which are really logical assumptions, opening the way for some pretty bad mistakes. As a result, I am not sure whether my current new problems with Kubuntu are related to the timing of SDRAM in tuning my motherboard, or some kind of spill-over in the attempt to remove the virus from Windows 7 by infecting Kubutnu's GRUB (which seems least likely to me, but I just do not know), or Kaspersky's attempt to find a virus when checking Kubuntu when I thought it was scanning Windows 7.

Currently my mouse doesn't respond when in Kubuntu all the time. Restarting or unlocking widgets seems to get it working again, and right now, it seems to be working as you can see, because I am able to connect and respond to you.

I still believe things will work out, as long as I don't upset those who are helping me by screwing up so much.

Thanks for your patience, my friend.

The main difference between POP3 and IMAP is that with POP3 you have to download the emails to your computer before you can read them. With IMAP you can read the emails from the server. The main advantage for POP3 is for those people who are still using dial up modems and have to pay a call charge whenever they connect, they will be able to download all their emails amd read them offline. The advantage of IMAP is that you can read your emails on one computer then if you use another computer you can still read that same email.

Key? You should not need a key to use remastersys you should be able to download and install with the following command
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install remastersys
                          Unless your talking about the "key" to activate Windows 7 once you re-install it, that should be printed on the label on your computer.

Comment

Sometime, the ISP doesn't support IMAP; for example, CenturyLink here doesn't support IMAP on its webmail accounts.
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@Shabakthanai I'm sorry but remastersys is no more which is why you could not download it. And according to the info I read you needed to add a PPA to your sources list to be able to get remastersys but as development has stopped then it would be a waste of time to even try.

However, there is possibly a better disk cloner called Clonezilla, if you can download Clonezilla from here install it to a USB stick then you should be able to clone your Kubuntu partition on to DVD-RW's

Comment

Working...
                              X