X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iso to pen drive not installing.

Hello,

I have always used dvd to install an operating system but since buying a kingston ssd drive , why not venture into the unknown.

Enter the pen drive , simple ( so i thought .....? ) cheap and so they ( ? ) say - very quick .

Here still at the initial phase of install and 3 different pen drives later, tried `startup-disk-creator` , `unebootin` , `yumi` and from the guys at vdr-portal.de - livelinuxusb .

Everyone has failed, either a mount error or an uncaught exception was made error 13 etc......

Followed a couple of tutorials but more confusion .

The guys at vdr-portal suggest i use a virtual cd drive - no idea what their talking about ? Then try the install with livelinuxusb.

Nothing has worked

Please help this old timer out .....again .

Thanks.

The simplest method is the best. Rather than using any of those utilities, just copy the ISO directly to the drive using dd.

First, run lsblk to see what drive names are currently used. Next, insert the USB drive. Now run lsblk again. You should see another sdX for the new drive. If it shows any partitions, you can ignore that, as this procedure will remove them.

Now run the following command:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=[i]/path/to/download[/i].iso of=/dev/sd[i]X[/i] bs=16M
    Where /path/to/download.iso is the full path to the ISO you downloaded and sdX is the new drive name that appeared in the list before. It will take a few minutes for the transfer to complete. When the prompt returns, run the following command:
    Code:
    sudo sync
    to empty the file system buffers and commit any remaining writes to the drive. Now you can boot from the drive.

NOTE: this procedure works only with hyrbid ISOs, which are designed to boot from both optical media and USB drives. Fortunately, most modern operating system ISOs are of this format.

SECOND NOTE: dd is a powerful tool and doesn't prompt before it takes action. Type carefully, and proofread before you hit Enter!

Comment

I apologize for this late reply - problems with the os and nvidia .........

What i have are dvd iso disks which i`d like to transform back to their original image - so not able to try the dd method out.

I did have an iso image the day before yesterday - that`s when my os crashed.

Comment

Not sure I understand what you wrote.

The operating system installation image is provided as an ISO file -- this is the original format. You have to place this file on either a DVD or a USB drive from which you can boot the computer. The instructions in my post #2 explain how to place the ISO file on a USB drive. Isn't this what you're trying to accomplish?

Comment

the OP wants to take an already burned dvd and turn that into the original iso image file (based on other threads here), I think. Also is using a modified Ubuntu based os with a totally different installer (clonezilla) designed for specific hardware devices.

kdeuser, you can use k3b to create an iso image of the dvd, from it's main window , select "copy medium", and in the options that open, select the "only create image" option, which will create the iso image from the disk.

Another option, if you have another disk with a normal Ubuntu or Kubuntu, or other livecd, is to boot that and from their browse your drive for the iso and copy that to an external drive or flash drive.

I am guessing that the issue may be the agonizingly slow download speeds from the vdr-portal site? It was for me, 6 hours or something like that when I tried it.

Comment

finally , the solution was simple in the end - Brasero was the answer.

Turns out not only is this app a dvd burner but is also a dvd image maker.

Used the option `disc copy` - place dvd to copy into dvd writer , select ` image file ` and finally ` create image `.

Took 10 minutes .

On a side note , still having issues with all kde apps ( including kd3 )

Thanks for all the help on this.
            Last edited by kdeuser; Mar 14, 2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X