Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyone out there who has installed "Tor" I need configuration help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there anyone out there who has installed "Tor" I need configuration help?

I am a privacy nut and heard Tor a great application, but I am not knowledgeable enough to configure it without help. Could anyone with those kind of smarts help me, please.

Click image for larger version

Name:	advanced.png
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	648912

There are two more images that are contained in the configuration, but I have been limited to what you see in this post. the tab 'Advanced' has the following:

A radio button to select if I use TCP connection (ControlPort)
    Grayed out is Address: 127.0.0.1=9051, next is a radio button that is preselected for
    Use Unix domain socket (ControlSocket)
    Path: /var/run/tor/control and a Browse button
    Authentication: Password=greyed area then selected radio button 'RandomlyGenerate'
    Tor Configuration File
    /home/steven/.vidalia/torrc and a Browse button
    Edit current torrc Note: this will edit the currently loaded torrc
    Data Directory
    A large empty box with a Browse button at its end.
    OK Cancel

The final tab is 'sharing'. It has a preselected radio button for 'Run as a client only'
    Alternate choice: Relay TRaffic inside the Tor network (non-exit relay)
    Alternate choice: Relay traffic for the Tor network (exit relay)
    Alternate choice: Help censored users reach the Tor network What's this

This application is beyond my understand, but I want it if possible. I just need help filling in the configuration boxes, radio buttons, etc.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Mar 02, 2015, 01:54 AM.

Ive done TOR both as an app and also as UbuntuCE, I'd be glad to help if you want.

Don't know that I can help with YOUR situation, but be specific.

BUT, in general:

A) If you have all your "hardware" hooked up.
    B) RESTART.
    C) Generally, if it is "greyed out" ...then don't do it.
    D) With TOR......which is really a "third thing out on the net"....it is easy peasy....
    E) Go with the flow....... and see what happens.

NOTES:
    F) It WILL "slow things down"...
    G) anything beyond the "default setup" takes some "figuring".... and probably should be eschewed.

H) The only people who have to get into the "arcane" stuff are people with something to hide.
    I) If you just want to "protect the computer" / "kids" / " whatever" .....just go with "stock".

woodsmoke

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 04, 2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

If your simply wanting to hide your web surfing it would be easier to select "private browsing" in your web browser of choice.

Comment

Hi friend, it's been a while. I do most of my purchases online, and banking, of course. I had someone taking about $20 a month for years. I closed the hole, but have never felt good about doing so much business online since. That is my primary reason. Secondly, our citizenry is being programed to lose its privacy. They freely offer too much information to organizations like Facebook. I am convinced that is going to bit a lot of people in the future. I may not have the justification for such privacy, but still I want as much as I can get.

I haven't filled in the configuration settings, because I don't understand them, or what to enter into the spaces. I was hoping to get advice from someone like you who finds this stuff pretty easy. By providing the images I did in my post, I was asking what to put into those spaces and an understanding after that is done. Filling in those settings is necessary to install or activate the rest of the program.

Since privacy increases with other features, I also want to know how to set up a good open source proxy. Many times I have passed over the proxy option, just because I do not understand how to set one up properly.

I am not too concerned about loss of speed at this time. My processor is an AMD 8-core with 32Ghz of DDR3 SDRAM. Even my OS's live in SSD's so I am prepared for the loss of speed.

You mention that "if you hve all your hardware hooked up"- is there some special hardware I need? I have TOR installed, but it doesn't work yet; I have to fill in the boxes first.

I don't think I have anything to hide other than what everyone wants secure, but I would rather be more private than less private.

You said "just go with stock". That would satisfy me completely, at least right now, but I still need help filling in the boxes in the images of my post. If you can help me there, I will be very grateful.

I hope all is well with you and those you care about Woodsmoke. I am curious, how did you get the handle. Woodsmoke is a great username, but leaves a ? when it comes to understanding.

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        Ive done TOR both as an app and also as UbuntuCE, I'd be glad to help if you want.

Don't know that I can help with YOUR situation, but be specific.

BUT, in general:

A) If you have all your "hardware" hooked up.
        B) RESTART.
        C) Generally, if it is "greyed out" ...then don't do it.
        D) With TOR......which is really a "third thing out on the net"....it is easy peasy....
        E) Go with the flow....... and see what happens.

NOTES:
        F) It WILL "slow things down"...
        G) anything beyond the "default setup" takes some "figuring".... and probably should be eschewed.

H) The only people who have to get into the "arcane" stuff are people with something to hide.
        I) If you just want to "protect the computer" / "kids" / " whatever" .....just go with "stock".

woodsmoke

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
        X