This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't want to use lowlatency kernel

Installed Ubuntu studio, added Kubuntu-desktop. How can I switch to a generic kernel, or do I need to?
    Should I upgrade to 3.16 or will that blowup my nvidia driver? And do i get anything from going to 3.16 from 3.13?
    Last edited by vsreeser; Feb 17, 2015, 01:35 PM.

I just installed a lowlatency kernel on Kubuntu 14.04 ,,,,,,,
    3.14.1-031401-lowlatency #201404141220 SMP PREEMPT
    it is in the "studio" ver. as it provides less lag time in audio/vidieo work , provides for priority scheduling for a process that kneads it , and keeps your CPU MHz at max .....

it is good for CPU intensive processes ,,,,,,

befor installing it. my CPU at idel would go as low as 800MHz ....... now it stayes at 3835MHz = 3.8GHz even though it's a 2.9GHz with "turbo boost" (I guess turbo stays on now)

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

see ........................................

Code:
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
      processor       : 0
      vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
      cpu family      : 6
      model           : 60
      model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz
      stepping        : 3
      microcode       : 0x17
      cpu MHz         : 3925.875 [B][COLOR=#ff0000]<----------------------- this is even slightly above spec. for turbo mode.   [/COLOR][/B]
      cache size      : 8192 KB
      physical id     : 0
      siblings        : 8
      core id         : 0
      cpu cores       : 4
      apicid          : 0
      initial apicid  : 0
      VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

you can just install a kernel with out -lowlatency . as for your nvidia driver you might want to check that it is compatible with linux 3.16 im guessing you can find that out somewhere on the driver info page nvidia provides. you can have more then one kernel installed so go ahead and try 3.16 if it can't boot you can change the kernel in the grub menu when you machine starts up .
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
          you can just install a kernel with out -lowlatency . as for your nvidia driver you might want to check that it is compatible with linux 3.16 im guessing you can find that out somewhere on the driver info page nvidia provides. you can have more then one kernel installed so go ahead and try 3.16 if it can't boot you can change the kernel in the grub menu when you machine starts up .
          Aaaa nvidia ........make sure you have the "dkms" package installed ,,,,and that is handling your current nvidia driver ..... so it will re-build the driver for the new kernel

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

upgrade went fine. I always edit the ondemand file and replace everything with performance. All 6 cores run at 2900. Takes a lot to load it down. Alas, firefox can do it. Would like to use opera but don t think it supports lastpass and xmarks, my 2 favorite addons. Actually, the only ones I use.

Looked around the house. Of 4 desktops and 4 laptops, i have exactly 1 intel processor. The rest are all amd

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post

Looked around the house. Of 4 desktops and 4 laptops, i have exactly 1 intel processor. The rest are all amd
              intel , amd ,,,,,,no diff as to what we are discussing .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

3.16 seems to work fine. No problems that I've seen yet. A little higher in a benchmark, but nothing big.

Comment

Working...
                X