This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which ISP?

Can anybody recommend an ISP for Kubuntu? So far, I don't find many that support Linux! >

Re: Which ISP?

Riki

You do not mention what country you are from. That apart, there is little to say other than there is not many ISP's I am aware of that offer support for Linux! The absolute magic of (K)ubuntu is the fabulous support offered by the forums of kubuntu and Ubuntu which in my opinion offer far greater support and advice than any ISP will offer or can! I am sure someone will be able to suggest an ISP for your location, but I have found as have many, that these forums AND pure learning from 'doing' have been more fruitfull than any other ISP offer for assistance. OK, that might be my pennies worth but I am sure that will be others too (damn I am gonna be burnt for that!)

Bukunut
    There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Riki
      Can anybody recommend an ISP for Kubuntu? So far, I don't find many that support Linux!  >
      As Bukunut said,  your Country of residence is kind of important for this question ;-)

As per support: I have had Comcast Cable and now Verizon, both in the US. In both cases I talked to a techie before signing up, and in both cases I was told that Linux was not officially supported, but that they could walk me through the setup. Both setups were seamless. Just a couple minutes on the phone with a techie and I was set. Essentially, you configure your PC to use DHCP and the PC automatically detects the connection.

Cheers !

Comment

Thanks all for comments. I am in the UK and use AOL9 with XP. Just heard somebody saying that he could go online with Big Daddy but not with Kubuntu.

Comment

Hmm...Not 100% sure how things work in UK, but usually it is not important what operating system you're running. It generally doesn't matter since the networking works just the same. (So basically all ISP's support linux...just that they may not offer adequate documentation on it on their website etc.)

Sometimes you might need to do some manual configuring (If your ISP doesn't offer standard DHCP services, which kubuntu should pick-up automatically on installation)

Your best bet would be to ask your ISP or alternatively wait for someone who uses the same ISP to offer more assistance (which could of course take a while)

Comment

Have you tried www.dialup4less.com ? They advertise Linux support at about $9.95 a month. Hope this helps!

Comment

If you think you might have trouble setting up a new ISP with Kubuntu, get your new provider, set it up in XP, then install Kubuntu...

We use Comcast Cable, and haven't I haven't had a single issue with my internet setup (except trying to use Konqueror, but that was a personal preference thing).

Comment

You do not say whether you are using 56k dial up or broadband, if you have dial up with AOL you have a problem as they only use their proprietary software which does not show the telephone number (AOL want you to use their software thats why I left them). If this is the case then change ISP there are hundreds of them in the UK, try Totalise of F9 or just Google for UK ISP's.

If you have broadband get yourself a router (they are cheap as chips now), with this you connect your computer to it via the ethernet port and set up the ISP through a web browser. You can even do this through AOL as you just setup the router as one of you aol screen names. If you use a router you can then use whatever operating system takes your fancy as it is completely independent.

Hope this helps you, BTW I switched to BT broadband
                Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Thats an excellent answer sjhstorm. I also left AOL on switch to Linux and moved to BTBroadband. I can confirm that as long as you buy a router and connect via ethernet, this should just work using DHCP. With the current state of Broadband provision in the UK, I would be very wary of "free" offers like TalkTalk for the moment. THe BT offering is a high price, but I've not had a drop out of service in over 2 years - for me - thats the main thing

Comment

Analyticalman

Could not agree with you more re BT, they may not be the cheapest but like you I have never had a single drop out and get consistently good speed. When you compare like for like e.g. usage limits etc, then you are not paying much of a premium for the service
                    Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

I have to agree BT broadband has been fantastic here also. No problems.

Bukunut
                      There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

Pipex and Plusnet are good choices. I have had plusnet for 2 years and I've been very pleased with them. Word of warning though, don't go with ntl, virgin or tesco, their support is all run by fujitsu and they are terrible. Of course I might be biased as I used to work for them

Comment

Working...
                        X