Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I move the contents from an SSD to a HDD and still retain computer function?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I move the contents from an SSD to a HDD and still retain computer function?

My drives are screwed up, but the system still works. Nevertheless, I would like to move all data from a 256GB SSD to an empty TB HDD and still have a functioning computer when the transfer is complete. Is that possible?

i never tried that, but you should transfer the files and than run
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
    (assuming the HDD is in /dev/sdb)

Comment

Originally posted by ohadcn View Post
      i never tried that, but you should transfer the files and than run
      sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
      (assuming the HDD is in /dev/sdb)
      you should not be giving some one specific commands when their is not enough info to know what they are really doing or trying to do .

are we moving the system files and trying to boot the drive we moved them to ?

are we just moving the data to a new storage drive ,,,,,,,,,what .

@Shabakthanai are you just backing up data to a different drive or what .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have apparently been carrying forward an error in my installation of OS's without realizing it. What I would prefer doing if it is possible is to move the entire function of the drive.

Kubuntu 14.04 is installed in a TB drive in my computer. The only thing that is supposed to be in that TB drive is /home.

I have an empty 128GB SSD that should contain Kubuntu 14.04 but somehow ended up empty and unused.

What I would like to do is relocate the Operating System into the SSD drive and still have it work once moved.

I also would like to have the TB drive that contained both kubuntu 14.04 and /home just contain /home. Then when I backup /home on a different HDD, it will be backed up and safe from lost data.

I probably should have some advice on this too. Need I backup the Operating System? If it becomes damaged beyond repair, or if that drive is lost to mechanical problems or something. Wouldn't I have to replace a broken drive or reinstall if the OS is too corrupted to fix anyway, or can you save a backup of an Operating System that doesn't require the normal reconfiguring and reinstalling packages? Thanks for running interference for me; I too often take the advice given as gospel. Sometimes it bites me.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        you should not be giving some one specific commands when their is not enough info to know what they are really doing or trying to do .

are we moving the system files and trying to boot the drive we moved them to ?

are we just moving the data to a new storage drive ,,,,,,,,,what .

@Shabakthanai are you just backing up data to a different drive or what .

VINNY

Comment

Working...
        X