This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 5.2: No System Settings

Hi there, I'm running Kubuntu 14.10 and rather impulsively decided to upgrade to plasma 5.2 yesterday using these commands.

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next-backports

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop plasma-workspace plasma-workspace-wallpapers

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    It seemingly went swimmingly however I'm unable to access System Settings. When I select it in the menu a dialogue opens with the following message:

KDEInit could not launch 'systemsettings':
    Could not open library '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_systemsettings'.
    Cannot load library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_systemsettings: (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5_systemsettings . so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
    When I use Alt+F2 I get the same result.

HOWEVER

When I launch from a console with systemsettings5 then it starts fine...

What do I edit to ensure that the menu entry points towards systemsettings5 rather than systemsettings . so?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Have you rebooted yet?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've rebooted a few times.
      I've also discovered that the 'install new widgets' dialogue crashes plasma. Am glad I've got next week off work.

Comment

check that you have kubuntu-plasma5-desktop installed, that may pull in some missing bits. I had zero problems on my 14.10 box, however I was running the plasma-next ppa before adding the next-backports ppa. Also, check to seem if the menu entry for System Settings under Applications >>Settings works or not. It really looks like menu entries did not get updated for that, perhaps.

I don't know why the random blog post on the internet didn't mention installing kubuntu-plasma5-desktop, unless they wanted to install it in Ubuntu without adding in all the Kubuntu bits (sddm, for example)
        Last edited by claydoh; Jan 31, 2015, 10:43 AM. Reason: totally incorrect info, sooory :(

Comment

Menu>Settings>System Settings still returns the error message. Other menu entries work fine. So far it's just System Settings.

Comment

Have you tried editing the menu entry with kmenuedit?

Please Read Me

Comment

The desktop file for the menuitem is /usr/share/applications/systemsettings.desktop, does it execute systemsettings5 (it should):
              Code:
              grep Exec /usr/share/applications/systemsettings.desktop
              You should also check ~/.local/share/applications/ directory for modified copies of the desktop file that may override the default (user edited menuitems are stored there).
              Code:
              grep Exec=systemsettings ~/.local/share/applications/*

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Have you tried editing the menu entry with kmenuedit?
                That worked! Swapped out the command:
                Code:
                systemsettings  -caption %c %i
                for
                Code:
                systemsettings5
                Now to figure out the other issues. Thanks a bunch everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                  The desktop file for the menuitem is /usr/share/applications/systemsettings.desktop, does it execute systemsettings5 (it should):
                  Code:
                  grep Exec /usr/share/applications/systemsettings.desktop
                  You should also check ~/.local/share/applications/ directory for modified copies of the desktop file that may override the default (user edited menuitems are stored there).
                  Code:
                  grep Exec=systemsettings ~/.local/share/applications/*
                  Hi,

I have had exactly the same problem with systems settings after an upgrade from 14.10 to 15.04. I followed the instructions above and did the edits. After the edits I get the following:

pnh@pnh-Vostro-3350:~$ grep Exec /usr/share/applications/systemsettings.desktop
                  Exec=systemsettings5
                  pnh@pnh-Vostro-3350:~$ grep Exec=systemsettings ~/.local/share/applications/*
                  /home/pnh/.local/share/applications/systemsettings.desktop:Exec=systemsettings5 -caption %c %i
                  (the last line was the same before except missing the "5"

However when I try to get system settings from the menu I get the "bouncy icon" for a few seconds and it looks like system settings is going to launch as it briefly appears in the panel then...nothing, it disappears without launching. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                  X