Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This discussion about autoremove and purge sent me looking for info. And, as usual, this old dog learned some new tricks. Here is what I found.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12906401

Re: Be Careful with Apt-Get!

There are two possible use cases here, and people frequently get confused between them.

Use Case #1: Fresh install (or release-upgrade). Most applications and utilities and lots of other packages are automatically marked as manually-installed despite that they are automatically-installed. So if you installed Kubuntu from an .iso, Dolphin is installed automatically, but marked as manual. When you customize your system, you can remove the kubuntu-desktop metapackage, but all your applications don't autoremove.
    Advantage: Autoremove won't uninstall large chunks of your system when you uninstall a metapackage or key application.
    Disadvantage: Lots of dependencies are not autoremoved when no longer needed. This is a lot of the stuff that minimal-install folks and are trying to avoid.

Tip: Use the command apt-mark showmanual to see what is currently marked as manual on your system.
    Tip: Use the command sudo apt-mark [auto | manual] <packagename> to change a package's (or list of packages) marking.

Use Case #2:
    Adding a new application plus dependencies. New stuff you install is properly marked by apt as manually-installed, and all the dependencies that come with it are properly-marked as automatically-installed. It's dependency management the way we expect apt to behave...except when users install entire desktop environments and forget that Dolphin is a (automatic) dependency of (manual) kubuntu-desktop and other kubuntu applications.
    Advantage: For single applications and libs, expected behavior.
    Disadvantage: Removing a metapackage may remove large chunks of included packages.
    Before one runs autoremove
    sudo apt-get -purge autoremove
    it would be good to do
    sudo apt-get -s -purge autoremove
    to see what it is going to do.

But, like I said, I never have had problems using autoremove (without purge).

P.S. -- I forgot to mention, again, that because I run btrfs I can take a snapshot of my system before any suspected changes and roll back if things go south.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 18, 2015, 06:28 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X