• Show
Clear All

Installing kubuntu 14.10

- HP Pavilion a1730n
    - AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4600+ 2.40GHz
    - RAM 3Gb
    - Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE
    - 320 Gb Hard drive

When I boot up the the installation USB and go to start installing the 64-bit Kubuntu 14.10 the installation screens are all glitch'y (I have to scroll the mouse over the buttons to get them to appear) sometimes (after 5 times it became inevitable) the screen would freeze or glitch out completely...

On the few occasions (3 to be exact) when I actually made it through the the installation process and boot up the computer everything would go fine until after I logged in... Immediately after everything would slow down 10 fold coming to a screeching halt eventually completely glitching out...

After doing a lil bit of reading I see that people have been having trouble with running Kubuntu or KDE with the Nvidia card... I don't know if this is the issue or not but I would like to get this resolved ASAP so I can start working with Android studio

After installing and reinstalling Ubuntu 14.10 and Ubuntu-Gnome 14.10 several times (cause I was board) then getting all hope up I tried to install Kubuntu 14.10 again and out of nowhere everything went perfectly...

I am now setting at the desktop ND everything in running smooth...

I never did figure out the problem so if anyone still has an answer to my question that would be wonderful for any future mess up or reinstallation...

Thank you for your time...

Comment

Kde 4.14.1

Comment

The cause for the glitch is (I guess) an outdated or not powerful enough VGA port that was integrated with the with the motherboard.... After installing a video card that I pulled out of an even older pc (like 15 year old) KDE decides to work beautifully

Comment

it could be a driver issue causing what you see during the liveCD portion of install. since at that time the computer will be using the open source driver , it could just have issues with that card. this would be solved after install if you selected the option to install 3rd party software and drivers durring the install.

as to why the install didn't work after install . if it has problems with that card and you didn't select install of 3rd party drivers then it could just be an issues with the oss driver. however it could also have just been failing hardware
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Problem Solved thanks bro

Comment

Working...
            X