This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I install FreeFileSynch/

This package is not listed in the repository - at least I did not find it.

I am used to this SW on my XP machine and like it better than the backup tools offered in the repository.
    http://www.freefilesync.org/index.php

Downloads of a LInux version can be made from
    - Download FreeFileSync Ubuntu Linux 14.04 (64 bit)
    - http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

However - as I am still a really just born Linux newbie, I need information on how to install this application.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You are going to run into trouble with that program, the developer does not release the portable version anymore since version 6.4 I think and the one for Ubuntu is built for unity and will not run under KDE.
    The source is available but the developer does not include any instructions for building it or any hints as to how to get it going on other OS.

Your best bet is to try to transition to LuckyBackup.

Comment

Hi anika200 - Thanks for sharing your experience. Actually today I came to the conclusion that LuckyBackUp is the best among the application in the repository. I will use it and hope my first impression will stay.

Comment

Hey 52ROSt, did you see this thread https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...d-the-solution

Made me happy

Comment

Hi anika200 - the FreeFileSynch post you mentioned is very interesting; especially the contributions in the last days.. I might give it a try to go via Launchpad because I know one of the guys there. Nevertheless I will firs t create and image/clone of my root and boot partition to be on the save side.

All I have to find out how to download and install from Launchpad.

Comment

I installed FreeFileSynch from Launchpad.net. FreeFileSynch runs fine. Linux system shows no instabilities. I prefer this tool because I sometimes need to compare folder content and for that I cannot use luckyBackUp.

Comment

Originally posted by 52ROSt View Post
              I installed FreeFileSynch from Launchpad.net. FreeFileSynch runs fine
              Yes, I have it working here now too and am using it via cron to backup/move some files around every day.

However, I must say that I liked it much better when I could just get the stand alone version and install it in my users /home/bin folder where it was easy to keep the profiles backed up.

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
                ......using it via cron to ....
                1 - Sorry I am newbie but what means "cron"?

2 - I am observing some smaller problems, which could be caused by the FSS. Timewise it matches the installation of FFS. However, I am not sure yet if the cause for the smaller problems is really the FFS installation.

Problems I observe:
                - Sometimes the machine does not boot at Power On. It stops with the "Thinkpad" display and does not even show the message " it you want..... press ENTER", just below "Thinkpad". Power OFF and ON helps
                - I am using IBus-Anthy to switch between English and Japanese writing. Now whenever I boot the machine the default writing is Japanese; before it was English my default language.

In the meantime I found 2 little tools:

"compare" it was installed and I found it just be searching in the launcher's search window. This can even compare 3 drives/folders.
                "Kompare" I found it in the Muon Discoverer.

Strange thing is, both tools do not show up in the launcher's menu but can only be found via the search window in the launcher.

I am testing now these two tools and the luckyBackup to see what at the end I prefere.

By the way, I found in the last days also a bug in the FFS on my XP machine and on the kubuntu machine: Folder which excluded from the mirroring/cloning are not fully excluded. This triggered my search for alternatives.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 06, 2015, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X