This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing Contacts

Before I moved from Windows to Kubuntu I saved my contacts on Google Drive.

On downloading them (zip file), I see that they are saved as xml files.

Can I import these into kaddressbook, or must I key them in one by one

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

You would probably be better to export them as a vcard or maybe csv file, I don't see an option to import an xml file. Vcard is universal, and most any address book anywhere can read/import those files, as well as csv..

Comment

I have the contacts as contacts.zip. and also in a folder contacts.

I can't see how to export either as a .csv, or vcard.

Comment

IF you still have email contacts on your Google Account, you can export them as either csv or vCard files.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
          I have the contacts as contacts.zip. and also in a folder contacts.

I can't see how to export either as a .csv, or vcard.
          Assuming you are using Outlook, here is some copypasta:
          Export Microsoft Outlook Contacts as a CSV File

Step 1

Open Microsoft Outlook.

Step 2

Click the "File" tab, select "Options," and then click "Advanced" in the left pane. Click the "Export" button under the Export section. The Import and Export Wizard opens.

Step 3

Choose "Export to a File" from the list of actions to perform and then click "Next."

Step 4

Select "Comma Separated Values (Windows)" and then click "Next."

Step 5

Scroll up the "Select Folder to Export From" list, choose "Contacts" and then click "Next."

Step 6

Enter a file name for the Contacts list. Click the "Browse" button to select a destination for your address book export, click "OK" and then click "Next."

Step 7

Confirm that you want to create an export of your Outlook contacts. Select any additional fields you want to include by clicking the "Map Custom Fields" button. When you have finished making your choices, click "Finish." Outlook will now begin exporting your Outlook contacts to the destination folder you have chosen.

Step 8

Click "OK" to close the Outlook Options dialog box.

Comment

I have looked at my Google Drive and can't see how to export, only download as a zip file.

I don't have access to any Microsoft software. I use Yahoo Mail

Comment

Sooooo... to clarify, are you trying to export your Yahoo contacts. or your Gmail contacts?

Or have you exported your yahoo contacts to a file and put that file on Google Drive??

More info is really needed, we can't figure out how to help with minimal data to go on.

So, in any case, you need to export your contacts from your yahoo mail contacts - it is pretty simple and self explanatory, at least from what I see on my yahoo address book page

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/back-yahoo...-sln22580.html

Comment

Before I moved to Kubuntu, I uploaded some of my Vista files to Google Drive.

One of the files uploaded was my contacts file.

However, when I downloaded this file from Google Drive to Kubuntu, I found that all the contacts are in xml format.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                  One of the files uploaded was my contacts file.
                  Hope this helps
                  What kind of file was it? Was it an exported file from a mail program? Was it a file you found in your mail folder? Where did it come from before its now zip backup file.

Comment

Originally, it was the contacts folder on Windows Vista.
                    I uploaded this folder to Google Dive, using Google Drive.
                    I downloaded this folder (as zip) to Kubuntu - using Google Drive.
                    I have two folders in my download directory in Kubuintu - the zip folder containing the contatcs; and the unzipped folder, containing the xml files.

Comment

So you mean the Windows Contacts program, on Vista? (I have zero knowledge on how vista works, I think I have used it maybe 3 times)
                      You will still need to export the contacts into a format that other programs are able to read.

Simply grabbing the folder and files won't do, as it is very likely most address book programs and such can't properly read the files.

Comment

I have had a look at the link that you supplied, unfortunately it refers to Windows. I no longer have this OS installed, only Kubuntu.

I think that you are right, I will need to export the folder containing my contacts to, say, csv format.

Snohog thought that I could do this in Google Drive, but I could only see a reference to download as zip.

I will look further.

If all else fails, I will have to re-create my contacts manually by transferring the xml data to kaddressbook - laborious, but maybe necessary.

Best wishes,

A

Comment

I have found a "free" online converter that claims to be able to convert XML to CSV (and other formats). I have never tried it so don't know if it works.

If you want to try it go to http://www.luxonsoftware.com/converter/xmltocsv

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I have seen this site.

However, it looks like I would need to convert each file separately. My contacts are quite extensive.

I think my choices are either using this link (if it works), or rebuilding my contacts using kaddressbook.

Once I have done this, the first thing I am going to do is export it in order to have a copy that I can re-use - should the need arise.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year - and for the effort.

Comment

Do you still have your Vista DVD?
                              If your contacts are important enough, you can install Vista into VirtualBox and then copy the backup folder back into Vista and then export from Vista mail program into proper format.

Comment

Working...
                              X