This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few Questions

So I appreciate the help. I did a fresh install of Kubuntu the other day and love it so far. I am not good with Terminal and tried to install java and couldn't seem to figure it out.

Secondly does anyone have a preference of an email application aside from the installed one? I've used Thunderbird and wasn't too happy with it.

Lastly, I have a cloud storage on my Windows box.....Is it easy to get Linux to read the drive on my network?

Thanks for the questions

Originally posted by StuParker View Post
    I am not good with Terminal and tried to install java and couldn't seem to figure it out.
    The package default-jre includes everything you need to run Java programs locally on your computer. If you need to run Java from web sites, install that package and also the package icedtea-plugin.

Secondly does anyone have a preference of an email application aside from the installed one? I've used Thunderbird and wasn't too happy with it.
    What don't you like about KMail? Perhaps we can help you work through any problems. Personally, I like a lot -- it's one of the best email clients I've ever used.

Lastly, I have a cloud storage on my Windows box.....Is it easy to get Linux to read the drive on my network?
    Describe this "cloud storage on [your] Windows box" in more detail, please. What software? What cloud storage provider?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      The package default-jre includes everything you need to run Java programs locally on your computer. If you need to run Java from web sites, install that package and also the package icedtea-plugin.

What don't you like about KMail? Perhaps we can help you work through any problems. Personally, I like a lot -- it's one of the best email clients I've ever used.

Describe this "cloud storage on [your] Windows box" in more detail, please. What software? What cloud storage provider?
      1. Do I find the default-jre package in the application discovery center?

2. I realize Kmail is not Outlook but am trying to setup the application to show messages in groups? Pretty much like Outlook I guess...LOL sorry trying hard to shake my Micro$soft feel here.

3. Lastly the cloud storage is my WD cloud storage. Its hooked up to my Windows box and am trying to access it on my Linux if i can.

Comment

1. Do I find the default-jre package in the application discovery center?
        I don't use that tool for installing software. Instead, I use only the command line. The following will install both packages for you:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install default-jre icedtea-plugin
        2. I realize Kmail is not Outlook but am trying to setup the application to show messages in groups? Pretty much like Outlook I guess...LOL sorry trying hard to shake my Micro$soft feel here.
        KMail can do this. Choose View | Message List | Aggregation | Activity by Date, Threaded.

3. Lastly the cloud storage is my WD cloud storage. Its hooked up to my Windows box and am trying to access it on my Linux if i can.
        Oh, OK. That's not really "cloud," but just a silly marketing gimmick by Western Digital. If you're referring their My Cloud product, then I'm surprised that you're connecting it directly to your PC. The product's description says that the device connects not to individual computers but instead connects to your router via Ethernet. Furthermore, the documentation indicates that the device uses NFS. So to access it from Kubuntu it should be as simple as opening Dolphin, clicking the location bar, clearing the contents there, and typing nfs://name-or-IP-of-device/.

Comment

Like Steve, I use "apt-get" in a terminal to install or remove applications. However, using apt-get depends on knowing the application's exact name. Sometimes I use Muon (not Muon Discovery) to add or remove a program whose exact name I have forgotten.
          sudo apt-get install muon
          will install it.

In Muon's search bar (when the left panel is selecting "all") will allow you to search for a part of a name and get all apps with those characters in it. VERY handy when you know part of a name but not all of it. You can also click on the column headers to sort the listing by that column. Click a heading a second time to reverse the sort.
          Muon has another nice feature: "view"-->"History", which shows a history by date and time of what packages have been added or removed. Very handy knowledge at time.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That's a good point, Jerry. I had forgotten that "regular" Muon (not Muon Discover) wasn't included in a normal Kubuntu install now.

Comment

In fact, you can use Muon Discover to install Muon Package Manager.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                That's a good point, Jerry. I had forgotten that "regular" Muon (not Muon Discover) wasn't included in a normal Kubuntu install now.
                The only reason why I use Muon at times is because my memory isn't as good as yours, Steve. In fact, without Google search, I'd have no memory at all!
                When I forget how to use Google I'll be in a terrible pickle!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  When I forget how to use Google I'll be in a terrible pickle!
                  Just ask Google

Comment

Working...
                  X