Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I connect consecutive episodes of a TV series? Using Kubuntu 14.04.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I connect consecutive episodes of a TV series? Using Kubuntu 14.04.

I googles the Title and did not get any useful response. Years ago, I was able to connect .avi files, but do not remeber the process.

I have currently copied Stargate Sg1 and Stargate Atlantis from my video library. What I want to do is connect 3 to 4 episodes together to achive movie-length playback. I used Handbrake. It only offered and made .mkv files. Is there an application that will achieve my objective?

I think the easiest option is to use kdenlive. Load the episodes in to kdenlive then position each episode at the end of previous one. Then simply render the whole file to whichever format you want.

Depending on the speed of your processor and the size of the video file, it can take quite a while to render the whole thing.

Edit: By the way, did you manage to rescue those episodes from the non functioning disks?
    2nd edit: I've just read your last comment on this thread
    Last edited by Guest; Dec 16, 2014, 10:38 AM.

Comment

There is a program in the repos: mkvtoolnix (and mkvtoolnix-gui) that will merge mkv's among other things.

However, I would advise against doing this. Merging video files only works well if every file is exactly the same dimensions (often, they're not if Hnadbrake is left to discover the best dimensions) and the audio is the same. Likely, it would work, but then you're left with a smaller set of much larger files do deal with and you've reduced your flexibility when it comes time to sit down and watch.

Larger files take longer to copy and take more space on a thumb drive or other device. And what if you want to re-watch the previous episode because it was particularly good? You have to manually slide the timer back to the beginning. And as Nick says - this will take a lot of time even with that nice machine of your.

Why not just set the video player to continuous play through the folder or build a playlist (with VLC, you can make playlists and save them for later use) or even select 2-3-4 files to play and just watch them all at once?

Please Read Me

Comment

Your last paragraph is intriguing. Do you mean, I can put Stargate Atlantis in its own folder, then configure VLC to play the episodes consecutively? If that is the case it solves my problem. Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Until I no longer am, I will be amazed at the improvement in the quality of my life has been due to you wonderful Kubuntu gurus.

You playlist solution solves my problem. It is amazing.

I realize I have been spreading myself among too many projects over past years, but I have an insaciable desire to learn too many things.

I have recently survived a difficult surgery. My doctor was kind enough to mention that they were out of new ideas and may not be able to help next time. You guys continue to make things better for me even though your help may be for only a short time and perhaps wasted in the thoughts of those with long term need, but that does not reduce my gratitude.

I must spend most of my time in bed now and live alone, so being able to play consecutive episodes without having to get up to change is quite a benefit to me.

My computer has been my companion or voice in the room or mental stimulation to keep on keeping me on.

I will never give up, so who knows, I may stick around a while yet.

You are an amazing collection of decent humans who will be appreciated by me for the rest of my life. I hope my loving you all doesn't offend anyone.
        Last edited by Shabakthanai; Dec 17, 2014, 09:04 AM. Reason: new info :)

Comment

Working...
        X