This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security updates -- now nothing that needs DirectX or OGL works

I had "security updates" today, got a new kernel version (3.13.0-43.72 generic) and an update to my nVidia driver (now 331.113) -- and after rebooting to load the new kernel, all my desktop effects don't work (even though they still show selected in the Desktop Effects settings page), and none of my Wine programs that require DX9 (which is all of them) will start (they give an error along the lines of "unable to initialize graphics").

If this is security, I don't know that I want to be quite this secure...

Any suggestions? I'm on Kubuntu 14.04, Core2Quad/4GB RAM, with a GT520/1GB PCIEx16; I've been running multiple Windows/DX9 programs in Wine with minimal problems since installing Kubuntu several months ago.

what dose
    Code:
    lsmod | grep nvidia
    show

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      what dose
      Code:
      lsmod | grep nvidia
      show

VINNY
      Comes up completely blank. I'm guessing that means the nVidia driver update didn't work right or didn't correctly build into the kernel. How do I fix it?

Comment

Aha. Sometimes, all I need is a clue. Based on what I wrote above, I opened Synaptic and reinstalled all the nVidia packages, then rebooted. Now everything that was broken is fixed: desktop effects are back to my preference, and my Wine/DX9 software is working again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Vinny!

Comment

You might try installing the Linux-headers package for the new kernel (they likely are already installed) and run this command to rebuild the modules

sudo dkms autoinstall -k $(uname -r)

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA smartphone running an early cyanogenmod 12 rom, with Android 5 Lollipop, via Tapatalk, as if phone stats really matter

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Observer View Post
            Aha. Sometimes, all I need is a clue. Based on what I wrote above, I opened Synaptic and reinstalled all the nVidia packages, then rebooted. Now everything that was broken is fixed: desktop effects are back to my preference, and my Wine/DX9 software is working again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Vinny!
            cool ,,,,,,,,,,make sure you have the "dkms" package installed as well .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks -- dkms is installed; I saw lots of text from it while the nVidia packages were reinstalling.

Comment

Working...
              X