Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My downloads folder says it contains an OS part, 19.9GB...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My downloads folder says it contains an OS part, 19.9GB...

I open Startup Disk package to install Linux Cinnamon to a USB 3.0 stick, when the Startup Disk opens the progam folder is empty. Can someone help, please?

Click other, and use the mini version of Dolphin that pops up to navigate to your downloads folder and select the file.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I hate to be so dense, but where is the 'other' selection? Nevertheless, I have solved the problem another way, but it would be nice, when a part download is all that is downloaded to know how to then make a USB ISO from the partial. I hope I am not confusing you as much as myself. Thanks for your patience.

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
      Click other, and use the mini version of Dolphin that pops up to navigate to your downloads folder and select the file.

Comment

Not sure what you mean about partial downloads - isn't the problem that you aren't seeing the .iso files in the source box?

The other button is circled below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Make-Startup-Disk.png
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	642634
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

The below image is what I am referring, the ISOinPart.png It has happened in the past several times too. You are first to reply. Thanks! I would have gotten back to you faster but was in hospital.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ISOinPart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	642639

Comment

Hey, I hope you are well!!

From your image, it looks like there is a partial download of a linux mint iso. Some tools, when downloading, tack on the ".part" to allow for resuming an interrupted or incomplete download, if it is possible. (not all file download servers are set up to allow this)

These are left behind if the download is terminated for any reason. You can safely delete them if you wish, as they are useless

Comment

That's 19.9MiB not GiB... seems too small to be a complete .iso for a distro like Mint (compare to the sizes of the .iso files in my screenshot)! A CD is ~700 MB.

The only time I ever downloaded an .iso that was in many .part files, I had to join it to the others with [console]cat[console] before burning. Are there any other parts to go with that one? Where did it come from?
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                That's 19.9MiB not GiB... seems too small to be a complete .iso for a distro like Mint (compare to the sizes of the .iso files in my screenshot)! A CD is ~700 MB.

The only time I ever downloaded an .iso that was in many .part files, I had to join it to the others with [console]cat[console] before burning. Are there any other parts to go with that one? Where did it come from?
                Probably from Firefox downloading the file. It saves the data as the .part file while downloading, renaming it to the correct file name when complete. Chrome does similar thing as well. Normally, these are supposed to be deleted if the download is stopped, but if the browser crashes or something, it can get left behind.

Comment

Cool, I didn't know that! Thanks
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Sorry about the GiB error. I guess my fingers have a new memory. I got it form the regular Ubuntu download site. Can't remember how I entered the subject, but it has happened many times.

Since then, I found an entire download of approximately 1GB and installed it. It is a very nice application, but I still am a Kubuntu fan. I am just trying to help the daughter of an acquaintance. Thanks for the kind help.

I changed the subject a few different ways and posted prior to finding the correct folder. It happened several times and I wanted to find the scoop on it. Strange that more of you have not experienced similar result. I will try to find it again and post the address.

Comment

Usually I download via the torrent as it is often faster and I like to also contribute.

But yes, this .part file is how all dowmloads start using Firefox.
                      Just watch your network usage and you might find the reason for it to be partial.

Comment

Working...
                      X